StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Agree/disagree thingy in the request system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:19 am   Post subject: Agree/disagree thingy in the request system Reply with quote

Just noticed it, my compliments. Great idea.
EyeDea
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 298

EyeDea is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail EyeDea's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:15 pm   Post subject: Agree/disagree thingy in the request system Reply with quote

Oh, I definately agree with this. It's a sad fact that everyone has to be punished for the stupid display of a few.

This is definitely a step in right direction. *C
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:12 am   Post subject: Agree/disagree thingy in the request system Reply with quote

It is unfortunate but I do see the need for the addition of the argeement. Some people honestly do not think they are stealing when the rip the stream. I am not sure how they do not know this but I have to asume that is because they either live under a rock somewhere or just don't read. This way they still don't have to read but they have explicitly agreed not to rip the stream. Jeric is also protected under that agreement as well. I am happy to take the extra couple of seconds to click the agreement.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:45 am   Post subject: Agree/disagree thingy in the request system Reply with quote

Tonight I saw several instances of abuse within the queue. Several Two Towers requests in a row amongst a few other things.

I think the Agree/Disagree thing works, but only to a point.

There is a distinct schism amongst the listeners of this stream. For many, this site has a face to it. We've spoken with Jeric. When we say we "agree" we feel we are making a promise to him.

For others however, this site is just another stream. They're schmucks who even make guys like me look nice, so they don't have a problem with agreeing to the terms when they don't actually have any intention of doing so.

I'm still a fan of contributor requests only.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:23 am   Post subject: Agree/disagree thingy in the request system Reply with quote

quote:
IMHO let's first see if this will reduce the abuse.

A request system for contributors only is a too drastical to me.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:39 am   Post subject: Agree/disagree thingy in the request system Reply with quote

Well, going by tonight my guess would be that the abuse has cut down a bit, but is still unfortunatly there. Basically those who were "accidentally" ripping the stream have stopped.
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:03 am   Post subject: Agree/disagree thingy in the request system Reply with quote

I have to agree with Cocles on this one. To some the agreement is nothing more than a step that one takes to get to the actual requests while to others like us the agreement is just that, an agreement. I too favor the contributor request. I realize that this is inconvenient to some (myself included). The steam will still be free to those who want to listen, but if you pay for the service then you are less likely to abuse it. Subscription requesting is the way to go.

The alternative here is to go back to 1 request every 4 hours. I think that this drives people away from this and those that are not driven away are just being punished for the crimes of a few. It is time to take this site back from the abusers and restore it to those of us that have supported this site from it's infancy. Those of us that respect the rights of others and the laws. We don't all agree with the laws but we do all respect them. This site is all about offering the music to everyone free of charge under the law. It is not about letting people rip the stream or about letting one person pick an entire album to listen to.

Well enough ranting for now.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 29

SlowMo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SlowMo's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:13 am   Post subject: Agree/disagree thingy in the request system Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Caliburn:

This either proves you're naive or you're cheap or both... Or just plain Dutch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:43 am   Post subject: Agree/disagree thingy in the request system Reply with quote

why is that? Last time I looked I still was a contributing member. I just think lots of people will leave this site if they have to pay for requesting songs. And that would be most unfortunate. I think that is worse than an occasionally abuse of the request system.

If the contributor-only requests is added the stream will probably get pretty boring because we all have our own favourite songs and that will be the songs we will request most of the time. The more people can request the more various the stream will be.

Okay if the abuse will continue drastically and banning IPs will not help, the new request system is unavoidable IMO.
sylvie
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 311

sylvie is offline View user's profile Send private message sylvie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:51 am   Post subject: Agree/disagree thingy in the request system Reply with quote

What makes this site so great is that I can listen to my request for free. I have donated some money- 10$. I donated because I wanted to, not because it was required. what happens if another contributes $75? If this became a paid site only, would I still retain the same privileges? What is fair? and if this becomes a contributor only-to request songs, then I may as well listen to the radio station. Because this site would become just as dull. I would have no interest in turning this station on.
quote:
Originally posted by Caliburn:
quote:

USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:09 pm   Post subject: Agree/disagree thingy in the request system Reply with quote

Requests would be made available to anyone who's donated $5 or more a month. If someone wanted to donate say, $100, they would be given more months of contributor status, not more requests.

The 1/1 ratio (or maybe 2/1) would still be maintained and keep the queue from getting bogged down with requests.
Zack
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 256

Zack is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Zack's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:58 pm   Post subject: Agree/disagree thingy in the request system Reply with quote

The contributer-only idea isn't a bad one. I just hope the CDs I donated count as contributions, because I am unemplyed at the moment and can't go spending money everywhere. [Smile]

Of course, $5/mo is not bad at all. I would hope that Jeric accepts checks and money orders though.

Is the Agree button working well enough?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: