StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What book are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

BuyerQueen wrote:
(The bookstore lady GAVE it to me, thanks independent bookstore lady!).BQ

Is the bookstorelady an SST-member, are they playing SST in the store?
Or was it just your female charm?

BTW:
I just put aside all other halfread books so far and started off in a novel by worldwide known author Jan Wolkers. Maybe because he died last year I picked a booklet from him about death on the famous Amsterdam Waterlooplein bookstalls.
Although I'm still reading it, it's amazing how he describes the feelings and loneliness of a depressed person without getting heavy at hand.
As reader you are sucked into the main person's tragedy and getting attached to this character. Especially the description how this young man struggles with the old Dutch moral (plays in 1962) is painfully acurate.

take a look at my collection: My album list
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it's coming down to the wire. My husband, kid and I have only until the end of August to read the rest of the alphabet. We're missing O, Q, T, U, and X. I'm looking for suggestions. Remember, it's authors' last names. X is kinda not important, because officially it's a wildcard, but if you know an author whose name begins with X, I'd just love to know about it.

I figured I'd take one for the team and put The Hobbit on hold at the library, but who knows how long that's gonna take. You guys have heard me kvetch about books for a few years, so I hope someone has an idea or two. If not, well, I might actually have to go to... the library.
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I just crossed O off the list by reading Beasts by Joyce Carol Oates. My first book by this writer, I remember seeing it ten years ago when it came out, and being intrigued, but not finding the time to read it. Since it's only 138 pages long, I wonder what I was doing that I couldn't squeeze it in. An unpleasant book. I didn't find it scary, just sad and depressing and sometimes gross.

I am working my way, if slowly, through The Hobbit. It's basically The Italian Job with dragons, but boy is it slow going.

I still need suggestions for U and Q authors, if you have them. I don't want to read Anna Quindlen, and time is running out!
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of sheer boredom, I looked for authors with Q.

This is one thing that I found that sounds sort of interesting:

Daniel Quinn: Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org/Origins/Ishmael/

Haven't read it but I think it sounds kind of cool.

(This is just my boredom talking. For all I know that book might've been a must-read 20 years ago OR the most lame thing in existence. /shrug)
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 32214

SilverRaindrops is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View SilverRaindrops's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque, you can try this page if you're stuck on a letter: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/q/

I have read Qiu Xiaolong, and can recommend him, but I didn't know whether that counted as a last name. Apparently it does Smile.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, alien and SilverRaindrops! I have never heard of any of these authors, so it gives me a good place to start looking, in between slugging through The Hobbit.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started reading book 4 in a series that I started a few years ago. CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS by Cassandra Clare. It is a YA book but I enjoy Clare's writing style so I don't care Razz
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I realize I left, oh, maybe a couple people hanging, but my family and I finished the contest. Breadcrumbs, by Anne Ursu, took care of U. And there's a book called Pirate vs. Pirate by Mary Quattlebaum that sealed the deal. Award ceremony is at the end of the month. See you there.

So, now I'm reading Chase, about which I heard good things on the internet. While it's nice to have a female-driven comic series that doesn't involve her boobs testing the limits of spandex, this one only lasted 9 issues, and doesn't really go anywhere. It's like the Firefly of comic books.

Speaking of comics, I keep returning to Saga, which wrapped its first arc last month. The trade paperback is coming out in October and is priced cheap, and I really recommend it for adults who like sci-fi.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading this book of Halloween-themed poems, getting into the spirit of the season. Once I get past this really misogynist section on witches, I should be set.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin. I preferred her previous book, the Happiness Project, since it seemed fresher at the time.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading some sort of choose-your-own-adventure book called Sleeping Beauty: Vampire Hunter. The writing isn't as dire as I feared.

This is one of many books I got on my Kindle from the library. As I was trying out the service, I also picked up Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter. Halfway through, I put it down. it's just boring; I'm sorry. The story moves from one dang thing to another. Like life, I guess, but I got tired of reading it.

I also may have read the third Twilight book. *sigh* You know, I've figure out the secret to these books. There's something no one — not the characters, not the fans, not the author — seems to realize: these are novels of psychological horror. Seriously, we can only take Meyers's word that this family of vampires is on the level. I think this is the tale of a nefarious coven of evil to recruit another soul for their ever-growing army of the undead. They accomplish this through emotional manipulation and outright kidnapping and brainwashing. Seriously. Why the moms are such fans I'll never know. Now, if only the author knew that this was horror, we'd have a much more interesting book.
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 24103

duc is offline View user's profile Send private message View duc's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished "the traitor queen". now thinking about reading "song of ice and fire"
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas gifts and gift certificates have yielded the following.

Batman: Son of the Demon Trilogy, by Mike Barr and Denny O'Neil. Stories from the '80s and early '90s that gave me all the Ras al Ghul craziness I've come to love from that villain.

Krishna: A Journey Within, by Abhishek Singh. This is an absolutely gorgeous book, written by someone who clearly knows more about Hindu religion than I do. I enjoyed it, but I don't think for a second that I got it.

Torn Music: Rejected Film Scores, A Selected History, by Gergely Hubai. I've been reading this book in dribs and drabs. Some of the stories are heartbreaking, some of them just make me want Hans Zimmer to quit.
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 33679

Seleene is offline View user's profile Send private message View Seleene's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Torn Music: Rejected Film Scores, A Selected History, by Gergely Hubai. I've been reading this book in dribs and drabs. Some of the stories are heartbreaking, some of them just make me want Hans Zimmer to quit.

Could you elaborate, LadyI? That got me curious!

I decided to temperarily go back to some good ol' crime reading again. So I reading Hodejegerne (published as Headhunters in english) by Jo Nesbø.
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:

Torn Music: Rejected Film Scores, A Selected History, by Gergely Hubai.

Thanks for interesting hint, Lady!

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 43 of 54

Jump to: