StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchbat wrote:
I do have to state that LadyI's remark of me not being a fan of the Batman-franchise is not true.

I never said that, Dutch. Please be more careful when you quote me. As for what I thought of The Dark Knight Rises, I honestly don't remember much except that they ruined a character I loved to hate. I didn't dislike this movie as much as the previous one, but I am also convinced that these are not movies about Batman, but about someone pretending to be Batman. The real Batman wouldn't quit, and this schmendrick does. Feh.

If you want to know more of my opinions there, you can read the article I wrote about it which the good folks at overthinkingit.com graciously published on their site.
http://www.overthinkingit.com/2012/09/27/dark-knight-rises-legend-of-korra/

THE WISDOM OF CROCODILES (AKA IMMORTALITY)

The first title is the better one. It doesn't tell you immediately that this is a vampire movie, but once you know that it is, this title gives you a hint that it's about yet another pretentious Eurotrash vampire. I kept falling asleep near the end. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really any good, either. Some of it was pretty unpleasant. Deleted from my DVR, and never looked back.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't open the link, ladyI.
So I hope you can copy it to this forum.

BEING FLYNN:
A new movie by Paul Weitz. A classic story with the fatherfinding theme. it was good to see that young actor Paul Dano in some parts was able to act better than his 'father' especially since latter was played by no one less than Robert de Niro.
A nice movie with top class method-acting about a young troubled man who struggles with life and has not seen his father for 18 years. He (de Niro) then appears in the homeless shelter Nick Flynn (Dano) works.
7,5/10 Not necessarily for entertainment but for acting and script.

HOPE SPRINGS:
After seeing 'the Iron lady" I thought Meryl Streep was heavily in make-up, but with this movie it turns out she is really looking that old.
Together with Tommy Lee Jones (man, has he became old as well!) she plays a woman unhappy in her 31y marriage. She then takes the brave step to force her husband to go to a counsellor. There is where this movie goes awkward. Talking about sex is still not in line with American moviemaking, and this one is no exception. Silences in the counsellor's office are too long and the outcome is much too sudden and unbelievable. The scenes where the couple should explore each other sexually again are hilarious by means of the way this movie is made. And that is not a good way to deal with this.
This is the worst Streep-movie I have ever seen.
And Tommy Lee Jones couldn't help changing this neither.
One small plus: It was good to see Elizabeth Shue on screen again, and it was the only naturally played scene in the movie.
5/10

take a look at my collection: My album list
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The post is too long to print here. Try this link instead:
http://www.overthinkingit.com/2012/09/27/

Mine is the only article there, I think. Anyway, it's about Batman.
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally had the chance to read the lively article and responds to this, LadyI
And I certainly agree to your observations.
although I'm not familiar with the Korra-tales you portrayed a good indication of it and pointed out the differences.
IMO the 'masculin' idea goes even further back to the Marvel Comics in general and Nolan only largened that persepective. The shabby storyline and eventualities that restore the powers of Batman was the basis of my low appreciation to TDKR.

But now back to reality because there's more rubbish along the road:

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the chance to include some moviedays in my schedule again so here we go:
(embrace yourself, it's getting ugly)

There happen to be three relation/wedding related movies in theatres which I unfortunately saw all 3.
One of those is Dutch:
* Alleen maar nette mensen* (translates as 'only nice people)
A supposed-to-be-funny movie about the battle between classes but overthrown with the, in the Netherlands apparently being necessary, multi-cultural differences jokes.
A Moroccan-looking young jewish guy falls in love with big-assed black women who live in the Amsterdam Zuid-Oost suburbs. All clichés are put into the movie, added with bad acting (even from A-actor Jeroen Krabbé) and a foreseeable ending.
4/10

The other two movies are 'bachelor'-movies:
* Bachelorette* Published as being the female mix of American Pie and the Hangover but doesn't get anywhere near even the shadows of these landmark films.
3/10 the 3 being the number of times a grin appeared on my face.
* A few best men* Comes more close to 'the Hangover' due to UK casting and director but is hopelessly just another attempt to copy it.
Lacks therefore any originality and the characters are not convincing (except Luke) 5.5/10
As I stated in a previous posting all those kind of movies apparantly need a good looking groom/bride, a moron, ugly guy/girl who messes up
and a total wreck to give even more trouble.
They should ban this kind of movies.

More not-funny Hollywood rubbish:
*the Campaign*
Maybe the team/actors from "the Hangover" itself could bring a nice comedy.
But helas, nope.
A predictable, unbelievable sitcom about a looser turned into a senator (Zach Galfidiakis, who really can be much funnier with a good script)
4/10

So, and it may seem sometimes predictable, for a really funny movie I have to turn to European movies again:

* Intouchables* (French)
A mulit-award winning movie (and Oscar, I promise) about a black guy of the streets who, in order to get his unemployment check signed, sollcitates for a job as nursing assistent to a paralysed wealthy guy. Completely against any common sense or reason the two people decide to go into a friendship.
Supreme acting by the two leads and a nice score by Ludovico Einaudi.
Plus: It's based on a true story and the two real characters now live in Morocco and are still friends.

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw The Avengers this weekend. It's not for me, and I mean that two ways. One, it wasn't made with someone like me in mind. Two, I didn't like it. I found it so tedious, this movie that has tries to have both a cracklin' sense of humor and still take itself too seriously. It felt like walking into the middle of a sequel to half a dozen movies (which is what it is, really) with no lifeline. And if you don't know every intricate detail of these characters' lives so far, well, who needs you? I fell asleep during the climactic fight, and the only thing the movie left me with was a desire for shwarma.

Roger Ebert, in his review of the film, suggested that nerds will like this but may deserve better. I think he's right. I'm not ready to give up on superheroes just yet, but I'd pay money for a movie with a real story in it. Not that I didn't enjoy the plot-weak Batman Returns, for example. But Spider-Man 2 had a good story. So did The Incredibles, which I've decided is the best superhero movie ever made. The Avengers isn't a story so much as a collection of fan-baiting references. It embodies what I hate about comic books right now: a commitment to "continuity" so strong and so pervasive that a new reader has no way in, and old readers kvetch when the slightest difference between books cannot be resolved, as if this weren't all, y'know, FICTION.

In other news, having made my way through Avatar: The Last Airbender in its entirety, I rewatched Legend of Korra. I simply cannot recommend that show enough. The story is tight, the writing and characters are good, and you don't need to have seen and memorized the first series just to follow along. Hulu Plus members, it's waiting for you.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Children away with their grandparents make us the possibility to go to the cinema. So, we try the last James Bond movie, which I really enjoyed.

So, if you like James Bond movies, you'll like this one. If you really like James Bond movies, you'll discover that Sam Mendes put lots of hommages to the previous movies. I've seen 4 of them, and wondering about 3 more. In fact, I'm really curious to know how many old James Bond movies he quoted, cause that is really well done.
It is also a Sam Mendes movie, and he really put his mark on it, up to some point where it isn't totally a James Bond movie.
As for the music, it is pretty the same. Some pieces are clearly Thomas Newman style, some others are clearly James Bond style. The rest (the majority) is a mix between both : action music with Newman touch. It works very well with the action and Newman surprised me on the quality of his music, being not a fan of him myself. I personnally find he lacks some of the british style Arnold has, but the work is efficient.
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SKYFALL (IMAX)

Yes, MP, I always liked the James Bond movies but found the previous 2 more and more offline from the original idea. However IMHO Mendes put it right back on track again. Old fashioned, nice location, wit and sarcasm, nice chasings and a marvelously played bad guy (Javier Bardem even outstood his role in 'Biutiful')
Agree on the Newman part too, had the music before the movie but latter did let it fall on it's spot.
I think there were more than 4 winks to former 007-movies.
7.5/10

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JONAH HEX

The combination of curiosity and a DVR made me watch this. The best I can say is it was short. But really, the movie had no idea what it was doing and was pretty tedious. Josh Brolin is a better actor than this movie deserved. Meghan Fox is not. The character, taken from DC Comics, probably never should have been a movie; I think he works best in small doses. But every Hollywood comic book movie suffers from this crippling desire to make all the stakes really, really high, so a small-scale story never has a chance.
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC and I got to see a preview of LINCOLN. I was sorely disappointed. It should have been called the 13th Amendment because that's all it was about. It was politics and at this time of year with the election, I was over it already. I fell asleep twice. I was hoping for something along the lines of GLORY, but ended up with a nice nap.

BQ
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A nap? I have heard tell of such things! Please, tell me more! Tell me about naps, and how I might take one myself.

Sigh. Back to cleaning the kitchen and getting (some of) the marker off the Inqueling's hands...
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4569

MojoPin is offline View user's profile Send private message View MojoPin's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Lincoln - really? Wow. I wasn't necessarily planning to see it right away, but I thought it looked better than a snooze-fest. I'm pretty sick of politics right now too, though, so perhaps it would be better to wait anyway...

Re: 007 - very encouraging to hear such good reviews. I might actually watch this one. LOL
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

ARGO
The new movie by Ben Affleck and not a bad one either. Based on the true story of CIA agent Antonio Mendez who tricked Iranian Revolutionaries in 1980 after the scrimmage on the US Embassy by getting 6 employees out of the country with a very looney but brave plan as well. Nice job of production of convincing the '80's atmosphere. Score by Desplat.
7.5/10

THE PAPERBOY
Film Noir set in the Florida swamps. Nicole Kidman playing a sexaddicted woman who writes (and marries) a convict (John Cusack). She then find two brothers struggling with their feelings while she makes them get her hubby free. Multiple characterlines are used but not all are being fully explored.
Still good to watch. Score by unknown composer called Grigorov.
7/10

USA AveD
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 24386

AveD is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View AveD's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SKYFALL

Let me just say that I am a Bond purist. What has happened to 007's
charm? Daniel Craig needs to work on this. Overall, though, its a typical
Hollywood flick that they insist on producing. Oh well. Confused But do go see it as
it is tops in the current style & most won't be disappointed.
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

The hubby and I watched this one this past weekend and it was the first movie I've seen in quite a few months. I actually really enjoyed it!

It felt "lighter" than the other Spiderman movies - more funny moments, Peter Parker actually seemed to be a kid in high school with all his awkwardness and even his gangly physique.

It did take a few (annoying) questions to the hubby for me to figure out that this was a reboot of sorts and that MJ wasn't the love interest. LOL

Oh oh and loved Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben!

Overall it was a pretty good movie. Next we're going to hopefully catch me up on the other summer movies I missed Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 50 of 66

Jump to: