StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

192kbit streaming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Germany Philipp82
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 33866

Philipp82 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Philipp82's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:36 pm   Post subject: 192kbit streaming? Reply with quote

I was just thinking that it would be really cool if SST could provide the stream in 192kbit quality. Bandwith shouldn't be such a big problem anymore?

Generally, I'm an audiophile and like to enjoy the best quality possible. But it is without a doubt way easier to access Music on the computer, so therefore I archive my CDs in 320kbit or FLAC-quality.
I know that some people will argue that you can hardly hear any difference between 128kbit and 320kbit but I doubt that, especially if you have a state-of-the-art stereo. So 192kbit would be a good compromise, wouldn't it? Smile
Germany blablublaber
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 33525

blablublaber is offline View user's profile Send private message View blablublaber's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter i like your idea.
but i think it costs more bandwidth and storage.
and it might get us in trouble since we are not supposed to stream looseless quality to the listeners.
it would be to easy to "rip it " into the tracks and thus circumventing the copyright.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides that what Blablublaber said, it will cost much more on payments to the broadcasting facility and we already stream at 128kb/s what is topping above most other radiostations.

And not everyone is in the possesion of equipment to enjoy the difference of the streamspeed.

take a look at my collection: My album list
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'm all for using higher bitrate stream. I think I even mentioned it somewhere in the forums before. But I'm also aware of the cost factor, so I don't think it's high priority topic.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in full support of a Flac stream. Even a 500-700k OGG stream but we need to be realistic here. Radio bandwidth costs a bomb. Unless there's a package you can recommend then I don't see it happening. Yes we have moved into the HD arena and videos are now on tap in720 and 1080p but as for Flac, not quite. I don't see it as problem for others with lower speed internet as they can still listen to the existing streams.
Lieutenant

Member#: 25119

Xalira is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Xalira's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what's the bitrate for VIP users. If I'm not wrong there used to be a higher bitrate for them back in the days, and normal users had the 64k. Or am I remembering it all wrong?
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, Xalira. We used to have 128kbit stream for VIPs only. Now VIPs don't have access to exclusive stream. We have 128kbit stream for all.

Italy Xalira
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 25119

Xalira is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Xalira's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, mol Smile It may be interesting to know how many people would become VIPs if a 192 or even 320kbps streaming was offered to them. The difference between 128 and 320 listening is usually consistent.
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO a stream with higher bitrate was something encouraging people to upgrade to VIP. I doubt it's just a coincidence that we had had many more VIPs when better stream was part of the package.

Probably there are more reasons why number of VIPs is currently very low, but isn't access to music one of main features most of us come here for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: