StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What book are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

New entries since I have almost finished the last of the previously posted books.

THE MONUMENTS MEN by Robert M.Edsel
The actual stuff on which the movie is based (very,very loosely) Follows the trail and efforts of 6 Monuments Men in the pursuit of stolen art by the Nazi's bringing them close to the front as possible. If you are interested in art and read all this, you will end up being so thankful to these guys (and girls).
Read it before watching the movie (so I had the right faces in mind).

REVIEW:
HET ZESDE BEDRIJF by P.F. Thomese
(translates as: the sixth act)
Historically true story about Etta Palm, self declared baroness in the aftermath of French Revolution. Although not a bright person, this mistress of political influential people ends up in a pivotal role in politics herself.
Style of the writing is not my cup of tea. All is written from out of her restless way of thinking (unfinished lines, some French sentences in between etc.) Nice to read about this peculiar woman but that's it.

THE KAVIJAKS by Jozef Vandentorre
Autobiographic novel about a family on the wee side of life.
all ins and outs are told and it shows how a family can be strong and surviving through all kinds of misery and still be happy.
Once-in-a-lifetime piece of work by this familymember. Great read and movie was a success too.

take a look at my collection: My album list
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell. Jesuits make an expedition to Alpha Centauri to contact intelligent alien life. It all goes horribly wrong.

Nobody tell me anything about this book until I finish it, understand? Shouldn't be long; I can't put it down.
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your silence (or ignoring me, whatever) everyone. I finished the book, and the ending was... not really worth the anticipation. Still, it was a good book, and I've got the sequel out from the library, along with a couple volumes of Wonder Woman and a Hellboy.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Busy reading the voluminous King.

11-22-63
Fantasy story about Jake Epping who miraculously finds himself being travelled to 1958 with a mission to stop the man who shot JFK. Falling in love in/with history has its disadvantages and will the past except being altered?
King based his time-travel idea on the 4th dimension effect and the so called 'butterfly' effect
but used it with so much research and detail that it gave an easily excepted story.

I started off in a giveaway novellette and read a biography on Gerard A. Heineken, the founding father of the famous Dutch beerbrand.

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Possession, by A.S. Byatt
Redefining Girly, by Melissa Atkins Wardy

Plus assorted comic books, including one about Andre the Giant.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearing the end of the pile waiting to be read.
So room for some newcomers.

The first one is from an acclaimed Dutch thriller author who always uses exisisting cases or mysteries to build his work around.
This one deals about the rightful heritage of the royal family.

The Flynn thriller I picked because of the fact that it was such a huge success in the USA. Well let´s see if it´s that addictive.
It was never published in the Netherlands as far as I know.

The Koch novel is the third after `the dinner´ and ´summerhouse with pool` There are reviews of those in here and even from the movie made out of the first one. The Dinner is now being remade under auspicion of Cate Blanchett. This 3rd. is a biographic and satyrical approach of his own world of authors. M, in the title alleged to portray Harry Mulisch.

Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided I need to read some fiction book to relax and I picked famous "Game of Thrones"

Have read 33 pages so far and I'm not too impressed. I don't enjoy the style of that particular author. But maybe I will get used to it and will enjoy it when I get deeper into the story.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
But maybe I will get used to it and will enjoy it when I get deeper into the story.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

The title on your book makes it look like "Game of Tron," which implies it is the tale of power and corruption that takes place within a virtual, video-game world. Obviously, that would be way more awesome than what it actually is. Sorry.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am loving every chapter of the books
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I read The Giver, by Lois Lowry. Fast read, standard dystopian soft-sci-fi. I kind of wish I hadn't read it.
Spoiler:
If I had known I was going to see a newborn cheerily given a lethal injection into his skull by his "Nurturer," I never would have picked the damned book up.

Now I'm reading some book about the drowned city of Ys, which hopefully shouldn't have any Spoiler:
dead babies
in it.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently the reading the first volume of a comic called Kill Shakespeare, basically, in a world where all the Shakespeare characters coexist, Will is the semi-mythical god-figure, and there's a prophecy, and... yeah. It's okay. This sort of thing doesn't do it for me much these days, if ever it did. And the writers keep getting the grammar of Shakespearean English wrong, which frustrates the bard out of me.

Whatever. Saga #20 drops next week!
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Started on the Gillian Flynn thriller.
Not so exciting so far, but maybe it will develop.

Bought some new stuff for the waiting pile.

* Dode Zielen (Dead souls) by Gogol, russian classic literature
* De 2de November by Thomas Ross, another Ross intrigue around the murder of filmmaker Theo van Gogh
* Nicholson by Marc Eliott, latest biography on Jack Nicholson, now translated in Dutch.

Poland martino VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

aw

Member#: 24057

martino is offline View user's profile Send private message View martino's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, The Rise of Endymion
all written by Dan Simmons

Popular and many times awarded science-fiction novels. Epic story in very distant future. Many characters, mystery, adventure, strange visions about human being, God and artificial intelligence. I enjoyed reading during summertime. As I know Warner Bros. is going to make an adaptation.
Canada Bryophyte
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 31259

Bryophyte is offline View user's profile Send private message View Bryophyte's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my hands on a copy of 'The Magician's Land', which is the final book in Lev Grossman's trilogy. Yay! After not really enjoying the first book a few years ago, I gave the books another try recently and really enjoyed them this time around. I guess, much like the main character, I needed to grow up a little. Smile
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me quite a few weeks to get through the Gogol novel and only 1 full day to read the Thomas Ross thriller. Smile

So now new books are up for reading.
First which is the Historyprize winning biography of our 3rd king, Willem III

Although much of his governing power was deminished by the new Constitution a lot of his private affairs and involvement is interesting to learn about.
Written by D. van de Meulen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 47 of 54

Jump to: