StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz Well I don't have a TV, so most of the spare time I can watch movies (VoD or theatre) I usually use my free day(s) to go to Rotterdam where I collect new CD's at Muziekweb (largest CD library) and combine it with watching 2 or 3 movies (that's almost for free due to a Pathé membership)
The rest of the hours I fill up with SST, listening to music and reading.
That really fourages for the rest I need from working mostly at nights.

THE COUNSELOR
Ridley Scott teamed up with known author to write and produce this script/movie. But a book author is not necessarily a scriptwriter and that shows. Starclad credits list can't prevent lots of loose ends and shallow characters with ??? about what they were doing in the movie anyway.
4.5/10

HET DINER
Dutch movie based on the bestselling novel by Herman Koch (see bookreviews). Movie keeps the agonizing atmosphere from the book and makes it interesting to follow. 2 related couples come together at dinner to discuss the violent crime their sons have comitted. Score by Fons Merkies is supportive but adds to the atmosphere and confronting silences that occur. 6.5/10

HOMEFRONT
Jason Stratham action pic. Written by Sylvester Stallone (OMG he can't even speak) Average straight-to-video good guy blows away bad guys.
Without all the shooting it might have been a good basis for a father-daughter relation flic. Mark Isham scored with nice tracks with southern accents in it. 3.5/10 (sorry LadyI, can't make it more than it is)

take a look at my collection: My album list
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had much time lately due to Holidays and the amount of work what came with it.

Took Girlfriend to Amsterdam last weekend and saw Planet Earth in concert and went to the cinema the other day:

WALKING WITH DINOSAURS 3D
Beautiful produced semi-animation about the Great Migration but then 70 million years ago.
The story was made for whole families so had the feel of "land before time" a little bit but still entertaining. Paul Leonard-Morgan scored it
7/10

RATATOUILLE:
On TV on New Year's Eve and just before the big shows started. Nice Pixar animated movie about a rat that saves the inheritance of a French topchef.
Michael Giacchino's versatile score blended well.
7/10

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Looper last night with my husband. I had heard good things about it, so I taped it and finally got to watching it. It's a sci-fi story about an assassin who's paid to kill bad guys sent to him from the future. It's a good life, until one day his mark turns out to be his future self. Hijinks ensue.

Well, not so much hijinks as lots and lots of violence. Honestly, if I'd known, I wouldn't have watched it. There's gruesome timey-wimey violence committed against one traveler's body, lots of shooting, and the murder of at least one child. At one point a kid falls down the stairs, and those who read my other posts might have an inkling of why that scene got to me.

So I didn't like this movie. This is a gut reaction, and has nothing to do with the movie's plot being predicated on an arrangement that makes no sense, though it totally is. I saw it to the end, but I'm glad it's over.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

New Update:

CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC:
Based on the bestseller of Sophie Kinsella and leaves men puzzled again about women (shop) behaviour. I hope the film exaggerated in this.
Lead person whose name I forgot already (!) learns the hard way that all the stuff she buys also have to be paid. But, here comes the romance, bursting into the right person can get you anywhere. Dumb!
4/10

BLACK BUTTERFLIES
Biopic about the miserable life of Ingrid Jonker, South-African poet in the '60's and '70's and very much against the Apartheid regime.
Philip Miller scored it, but not very outstanding.
7/10

PHILOMENA:
British comedy-drama based on true events. Judi Dench portraying an elderly woman on a last search for her son, taken away by nuns for adoption. Helped by troubled journalist (Steve Coogan) who has to face reality. Mindbending dialogues make it Oscar worthy. (script and lead roles) 7.5/10 Desplat scoring again.

SAVING MR.BANKS
Entertaining look-behind-the-creation of "Mary Poppins" with superb roles of Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson. Thomas Newman scored along with original score of the Sherman Brothers.
7/10

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This week´s entry:

LAST VEGAS:
4 big names who play the script from the british movie: "the World's End"
combined with some hints to "the Hangover" Believable performances and a bit of drama in the right place make it a noteworthy and enjoyable movie.
7/10

THE HOBBIT; THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG: (IMAX HFR 3D)
Inbetween movie for the Hobbit 1 and 3. Good sfx but story is way to dreary.
Shore's score is disappointing too.
4.5/10

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
Highly acclaimed and award nominated movie by Martin Scorcese (and that shows). Great performances by DiCaprio and Jonah Hill but the story
leans a bit too much towards the extravaganza and lacks a decent ending.
Lot of source music that didn't quite fit in IMO (Robbie Robertson was musical director !) blanked out Theodore Shapiro's score.
6.5/10 Merely because it kept Girlfriend awake Smile

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

FROZEN

Two weeks ago, I did something I had never done before. I went to the movies by myself. Not my preferred arrangement, but my husband was neck-deep in trial prep, and the kids were at day care, and school hadn't started yet. So, the movies.

I don't think this is a very good movie. There are some things to like about it, but it's just not that good. The plot was what stood out to me, and not in a good way. I assume you all know it's about two princesses, and one can create snow and ice with magic. "Snowbender," we call her at home. Well, okay. But the story in the movie clicks along, feeling forced in places and in others just not making any sense. I don't want to spoil anything, but here's an example. The bad guy, having left his princess fiancée near death, tells other bad guys she died, but at least they got to speak their wedding vows, so now he's the king. Yeah, that's how it works.

I'm also annoyed with the music. The songs, well, you know by now if you like them or not. My daughter's obsessed with them, but what else is new? What bugs me is that it's a musical, but only for the first half. (I'm not counting "Fixer Upper." The less said about the trolls in this movie, the better). There's more plot, but no singing. What the heck? I was raised on musicals. You're supposed to have songs at the climax, and the denouement, and parts in between. Is there a law that the songs have to stop halfway in a Disney movie?

I can't comment on the score. I gave it a listen in the car today, and it seemed unremarkable to me.

Someone else must have seen this. Any other opinions?
Canada Last_Starfighter
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 29174

Last_Starfighter is offline View user's profile Send private message View Last_Starfighter's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Lady, haven't seen Frozen as CG animated movies arn't my forte...

Dutch, i totally agree on Hobbit 2! Very average for me, maybe more suited for the LOTR diehards...

I saw LONE SURVIVOR last week. It's a movie for people who enjoy seeing the comraderie built between troops in a war. It also doesn't just paint one broad stroke saying all the people in middle east are terrorists, there are some good guys in there (don't want to give away too much). Directed by Peter Berg who did a decent job on The Kingdome a few years back. Just be ready for a LOT of buildup to the end, then a good 25 mins of relentless action. Based on a true story Smile

(I would't recommend this one for the squeamish, lots of blood, gore from war)
Poland SSTEvents
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 33081

SSTEvents is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SSTEvents's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchbat saw these pictures bygone period:

W/E The love story between Prince Edward and Wallis that made him resign as crown prince. Beautiful score by Abel Korzeniowski 7.5/10
We are legions Documentary about the Anonymous hacktivist.
I don't agree with their damage causing way of making statements neither the way this documentary was cut. 4.5/10
The Butler True story based life story of a White House butler spanning 5 presidencies. Thumbs up for production, lead role and make up. Entertaining movie but score by Leao got lost between period related popmusic. Was better done by experienced composer. 7/10
Venus in fur Story within a story, based on Sacher-Masoch famous novel. Directed by Roman Polanski who directs his present wife Seigner in the role of femme fatale who auditions for a role in the movie-to-be-made and winds the director around her finger in a dominance driven cat-and-mouse game. Official Selection in Cannes. Score by Desplat 8/10
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. Who wrote that entry?
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

0/ I did. But was still logged in with the SSTEvents
account.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw two movies yesterday on my day off:

Mr.Morgan's last love is a beautiful story and full of integrity about solitude and the need of having someone beside you. Michael Caine portrays a widower lost in Paris, Clémence Poésy (France's Girl-Next-Door top actress) equals him being lost in life after her father died. One is looking for death, the other for life. Based on "la douceur assassine" First half, when the two meet is the strongest. AND FINALLY a score written and played by Hans Zimmer (old style) which he actually liked making
7.5/10

Vampire Academy Forget it right away. Based on chicklets and filmed in the same way too. Awful acting and with use of HP sets, so officially a B-movie. Rolfe Kent scored this vehicle about one-and-a-half vampire who ran away from school. Boobs and sex hints are apparantly more important than a reasonable fantasy story.
2/10 and that's only for Kent's score.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

After the carnaval period I picked up some movies again:

THE MONUMENTS MEN First I frantically read the original book by Robert M.Edsel to know the facts, knowing the movie would be losely based on it and probably romantized. And I'm glad I did. For the ones who don't know the book it's a nice protrait of what the Monuments Men did for the art world (and our culture). Desplat did a great score. One minor point IMO: If it was an hommage to these Monuments Men, why did they change all the names. (maybe for privacy reasons, but still a pity) 6.5/10

THE EXPENDABLES Title covers it all Smile
Actionclad picture with the content of 1oz of salt. written and directed by
Sylvester Stallone. Category Dunb Entertainment with lots of explosions
totally expendable indeed: 3.5/10

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LAYER CAKE
From the producers of "Snatch" and "Lock, stock and two smoking barrels"
and those were great Brit.gangster movies. This one is less humorous but still good to watch. Daniel Craig plays an intermediate who is trustful and therefore climbs the mafia elite ladder. Just before he wants to retire his boss
has an extra job for him. 7.5/10
Score by Lisa Gerrard and Ilan Eshkeri (not spectacular IMHO)

Last edited by Dutchbat on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to interrupt Dutch's movie review blog (c'mon everyone, doesn't anyone else see movies?) to say that I watched Oz, The Great and Powerful the other day. I'm glad I didn't try to track this one down in theaters. I've never been the biggest fan of The Wizard of Oz (despite having played the Witch of the West on stage in my misspent youth) and this movie, while it had some interesting visual ideas, was just too much been-there, seen-that. Nothing surprised me. The writing and scripting weren't very good, either. Nice to see that Elfman and Raimi seem to have made up, though.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I saw another movie after a long period of administrative work.

DALLAS BUYERS CLUB
Two astonishing performances by McConaughey and Leto
Well deserved Oscar.
Setting of the movie is Dallas, mid '70s when AIDS was still lethal.
Homofobe redneck Woodroof (McConaughey) gets diagnosed with HIV and is confronted with regulations avoiding him getting new treatment cocktails so he starts to traffic them from Mexico and goes heads on with the established med. companies and authorities.
8/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 56 of 66

Jump to: