StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Phantom Requests

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Netherlands Ghostkeeper
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 27774

Ghostkeeper is offline View user's profile Send private message View Ghostkeeper's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:06 pm   Post subject: Phantom Requests Reply with quote

From time to time you can see what people have come to call a "Phantom Request" in the queue. The "requested by" and "message" of these requests are blank. I recently had one myself, and discovered that apart from the mishap that the message disappeared, it also doesn't reset the request cooldown. This would allow someone to request indefinitely if it can be forged.

Here's what I know:
  • When the phantom request occurs, the user that requested it gets the message that "this track has already been requested".
  • For me, it occurred when I requested something explicitly as the queue length just dropped from 1:32 to 1:28 minutes since I promised someone to request a track for her but my previous request would've been too recent if the queue was longer than 90 minutes. This could indicate a nondeterministic programming error (and those are a pain to fix!)
  • At least for non-moderators, there is no record at all of the requester, not in the queue, history or "your requests". As far as the site is concerned, the request just comes out of nowhere.
Perhaps this could help an administrator to fix the bug.
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had those "phantom requests" a couple of times and as far as I can tell, it *does* reset the timer.

When I've tried requesting something else immediately afterward, I got the usual "You requested too soon." message even when the timer was green.

I haven't tried this each and every time, but I think the two-minute minmum interval between requests still applies.
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it again today when the queue was firmly in the 6 hours/30 minutes territory, and I definitely can't request something new only two or ten minutes later.

So it seems the only real effect is that your name doesn't show up in the queue and the request counter doesn't start its countdown but keeps pretending that your request is available.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
Tried it again today when the queue was firmly in the 6 hours/30 minutes territory, and I definitely can't request something new only two or ten minutes later.

So it seems the only real effect is that your name doesn't show up in the queue and the request counter doesn't start its countdown but keeps pretending that your request is available.

You're absolutely right AA. Although no name is shown (likely a glitch between SAM and the web server), the request is attached to you. It can be seen by mods and admins.

For instance the current Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies one Smile

Ghostkeeper, the issue is annoying but I do not think (personally) that it is a risk. An administrator could have a look, still!
Netherlands Ghostkeeper
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 27774

Ghostkeeper is offline View user's profile Send private message View Ghostkeeper's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If Alien_Avatar is right, the issue is not very pressing of course. When I tried it, the queue was bordering between 30min and 2min waiting time for VIPs, so perhaps I made a false reading.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: