StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

A philosophical question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Playground
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Which carries more ethical weight?
But it could have...!
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
But it didn't...!
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:25 am   Post subject: A philosophical question Reply with quote

This is an idea I've been kicking around for a while. Y'know when something really bad almost happens, often people will try to assign blame for it. For example: Your spouse leaves the baby gate open and the baby climbs the stairs to the top before you catch him.* Let the games begin.

"He could have fallen to his death!"
"But he didn't!"
"But he could have!"
[Repeat as necessary.]

So I'm asking, in a totally unscientific and non-rigorous way, which position carries more weight? In a fight with no winner, who wins? I put a poll at the top, but I'd be interested in why you think that, so post below.

Personally, I think "But it could have" is the stronger position. It's usually luck that something bad didn't happen, especially a preventable mishap. But then again, nothing ventured... What do you think?

* This is a hypothetical. Seriously.
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both "arguments" carry an equal amount of... nothing. They're rather meaningless.

While the "But it didn't...!" option relies on good luck, the "But it could have...!" option kind of assumes bad luck.
There's no middle ground in the could've/didn't argument.

The baby could have fallen and broken its neck.
The baby crawled up the stairs unharmed in record time and won its parents a million dollar prize.
But it could also just have tumbled off a step or two and come away with nothing worse than a bruise and a bit of fright.

Could have is not the same as would have.
Did not is not the same as never will.

That's probably a bit more obvious when the thing in question doesn't involve babies or a third person.
That Austrian guy who jumped out of a plane from impossibly high up a couple of years back could've ended up as a lovely stain on the ground. But he didn't... he made a new world record or something.

Moral of the story? Don't mess with babies. Very Happy
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Leave the babies out of it, and just look at adults who jump out of planes.
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 27774

Ghostkeeper is offline View user's profile Send private message View Ghostkeeper's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien_avatar makes a good point.

I think you should take a step back and consider what would've been the best option.

In the case of the baby, closing the baby gate would have been the best option, since even though the chance of the baby falling to its death could be only 1% it still outweighs the effort required to close the baby gate.
Take for instance the example of a kid in school not learning for an exam but still getting a sufficient grade. Yes, he could've failed. Perhaps the chance of failing was 40%. But he might be willing to take the risk if that means he can work a little overtime at the convenience store and get his finances back in order (or, realistically, play more video games). It's a consideration of advantages and disadvantages.

The argument of "but it could have" is then valuable to propose an additional disadvantage in this consideration. "But it didn't" less so.

There is also the separate issue of whether it is useful to discuss these things in hindsight. It might be useful for the next time the choice presents itself, but fighting is rarely good by itself.
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you jump out of a plane?

take a look at my collection: My album list
Netherlands Ghostkeeper
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 27774

Ghostkeeper is offline View user's profile Send private message View Ghostkeeper's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if the new I, Frankenstein was played as in-flight movie?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that movie! Very Happy

Brainless fun.
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I agree with everything alien said, particularly her first statement:

alien_avatar wrote:
I think both "arguments" carry an equal amount of... nothing. They're rather meaningless.

Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they're meaningless. Except people keep making them, so there. I was just hoping to get some interesting, if pointless, debate going here.

Sigh. I give up.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a little easy.
Like GK said the matter is part of hindsight.
That's like trying to blame one of the parents for a mistake that actually both are responsible for.
Preventing a baby doing lethal actions is in any way the combined effort to make (or as a Malthusian thinker like me, not to make)
If the baby is likely to explore the world by crawling around (or walking unattended) why not use a leash or keep it in a cradle/box
Btw, most babies will survive a fall down the stairs

take a look at my collection: My album list
Germany plus1
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 37063

plus1 is offline View user's profile Send private message View plus1's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the "But it didn't...!" choice limit your actions to merely reacting to whatever happens around you.

And isn't the ability to plan into the future a very unique human feature? If humans had only ever acted AFTER something happened to them, the world would be a different place, wouldn't it?

Therefore, I think that "But it could have...!" carries more weight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Playground All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: