StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some catching up last week:

TOEN WAS GELUK HEEL GEWOON
(translates as: Hapiness was common in those days)
Dutch movie spin-off from a popular TV series played in Rotterdam accent with former stageactors Cox and Bruijs in lead roles.
Series was recorded in studio and was more about the dialogues, forced screenplay and outdoor filming did not add to the atmosphere although production managed to get a feel of the '70's setting.
6/10

HYDE PARK ON HUDSON
Somewhat disappointing film on the relations of Roosevelt based around the visit of king George of England 1938. 5.5/10

THE BOOK THIEF
Average film based on a great book. Most annoying were the use of an awful 'german sounding' accent and use of German words in the phrases.
Better was made fully in German with German actors.
Not convincing. 6/10 Williams' score was like the movie: slow and not catchy enough.

NOAH (IMAX 3D)
Old Testament story/flooding drama was turned in SFX action movie most of the times by Aronofsky. Not my way to treat an epic story. This director is not at his best in actor's directing so roles of Crowe and Watson did not stand out. Mansell's score did not enhance the scenes and stranded in bulky soundlayers. 5/10

On DVD I watched:
SEVEN DAYS IN UTOPIA:
Duval helps with the help of God a traumatized golf pro back on his feet.
Very faith related. Score by Klaus Badelt.
6/10

Spiderman 2 was just a guilty pleasure, immediately to forget. 2/10

take a look at my collection: My album list
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

On something of a vampire tear lately.

MATTHEW BOURNE'S SLEEPING BEAUTY
This is a ballet by the same guy who did Swan Lake with an all-male chorus of swans. This time, he made the fairies of Sleeping Beauty into vampires. Or something. Frankly, it didn't make that much sense; I don't get ballet in the first place. But it wasn't too long, and the production design was almost as gorgeous as the guy playing Caradoc.

BYZANTIUM
Neil Jordan returns to vampires for the first time in over 15 years. This time the main characters were women. This was okay, I guess. I heard good things about it, but I thought I'd like it more than I did. There was a lot of gore, and I've lost my taste for that stuff lately. If ever, indeed, it was there to begin with. One vampire was really mopey and annoying, bad things happen to people who don't deserve it, and the theme of the movie seems to be the same as that song from Falsettos, "Everyone hates his parents." I got it, but I have no desire ever to see it again. Some of the imagery was nice. It was a lot like Let the Right One In, which I also didn't like much.

ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE
I read good things about this movie and had to track it down to the local (well, not really) artsy movie theater. (The same place where, come to think of it, I saw Let the Right One In.) I'm glad I did. There really isn't much plot to this movie. It's what my husband called "slice-of-life" vampires. But I thought it was romantic and sexy and funny and kind of sad. And John Hurt plays Christopher Marlowe, which has convinced me that no matter what his mother says, I'm going to start calling my soon-to-be-born nephew, Christopher, "Kit." The score on this movie is grungy rock in most places. But it worked.

I really liked this movie, and so I shall now go change my signature to reflect that. Excuse me.
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

After the mediocre movies from my previous posting I turned to VoD and an arthouse movie theater in Breda to watch following movies:

LA GRANDE BELLEZZA
Oscar winning filmed hommage to Rome, using the storyline of "La dolce vita" as backbone. Beautifully shot and dared portrait of nowaday's intellectual
establishment in modern Italy. 7.5/10

THE WIND RISES
The 'last'-declared animé by Myazaki who stuck to this genre during his rich career. This one is a masterpiece telling the story of the designer of the famous Japanese fighter plane, Mitsubishi Zero
Even in his own 'handwriting' so much detail in every frame.
And of course Hisaishi's wonderful score. 8.5/10

HUNDRAÄRIGEN SOM KLEV UT GENOM FÖNSTRET OCH FÖRSVANN
(the 100y-old that climbed out of the window and disappeared)
Dry-comical movie based on the bestseller by Jonasson. Just before his 100'th birthday a former explosive expert sets on a trip that reveals bit by bit his awing history. A must see. 8.5/10

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Being put up on the couch with a throbbing knee I watched " the Bourne Ultimatum" on TV.
The expected bunch of action idiocy was there.
Entertainment factor was only in the crashing of the cars. Smile
Even John Powell's score was drained in the mud of the movie.
2/10

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw X-Men: Days of Future Past and Maleficent in the cinemas recently. I don't think I could care less about either of them.

Maleficent was the real disappointment, but that's my fault. I knew the movie was a bad idea. Evil can be awesome and cool and doesn't need an emotionally-scarring backstory. But they gave us one, and I allowed myself to believe that the film might be good. Then I read reviews and thought it wouldn't be. But the reviews were so mixed, about half liking and half hating it, that I had to see it for myself. It's a waste of time and opportunity.

Let me put it this way, for those of you who've seen Disney's Sleeping Beauty. Spoiler:
At the end of Maleficent, she doesn't even turn into a dragon.

So yeah, nuts to that.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Been very busy but managed to see 1 movie last two months:

MARINA
Based on the life story of the Italian born, Belgian folksinger Rocco Granata and the road of his succes. Great cast and wonderful acting makes it easy to understand why it was such a great succes in Belgium.
Rocco himself has a cameo appearance and the score will be on SST in the foreseeable future.
7.5/10

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up this Arthouse movie from the Dardenne brothers on Belgian TV:

LE GAMIN AU VELO:
Typcial Dardenne social drama about a boy neglected by his father who is on the verge of slipping into criminality despite the love of his foster parent. 7/10

Futhermore I started with the DVD series of "El Tiempo entre costuras" with the beautiful music of Cesar Benito.
I brought this along from Tenerife together with "Grand Piano" and
"Isabel"

GRAND PIANO:
Bought for the extra-ordinary score by Victor Reyes that is the centrepiece of the movie.
Famous concertpianist is blackmailed to play a piece on his teacher's piano that would unlock the key to his hidden legacy.
Bit strange thriller with Elijah Wood as pianoplayer. Not convincing.
5/10 but an 9 for the music!! Best score 2013

Poland martino VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

aw

Member#: 24057

martino is offline View user's profile Send private message View martino's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

During the summertime I was watching several movies, maybe not so ambitious as these from Dutchbat's list Wink but I was looking for something relaxing. From 2014 blockbusters:

Transformers: Age of Extinction
$200.000 spent on over 2 hours of explosions. The longest Hasbro commercial, I suppose. Embarrasing. 1/10

Guardians of the Galaxy
I 'm completely unfamiliar with Marvel heroes. I even have a problem to recognize them. The story is the same, as usual: good guys are fighting against bad guys. In this case you can see a mixture of comic-book, bizarre sci-fi show and songs from the 80's. Taking Guardians seriously I must say they doesn't make sense. 2/10
... but if you are a bit crazy and don't want to think too much be prepared for pure entertainment: funny dialogues [I am Groot], spectacular effects and ... naughty Bradley Cooper as mutated raccoon. 8/10

Last edited by martino on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Hundred-Foot Journey"

Well done, tasteful, heartwarming fairytale. Great movie to relax and to set you in a positive mood.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

MARVEL'S GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC

I finally went to see this movie. It was all right. I liked the jokes, which were funny, but the rest of it was by-the-numbers and kind of boring, frankly. I think it was half an hour too long. And I hate movies about guys who treat women like... you know what? Never mind. My brain is re-editing this into a Gamora movie, since she's the one who actually made anything happen.

I am a little glad this took the #1 spot back from Ninja Turtles. No, I haven't seen it, but I object on principle.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
MARVEL'S GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC

I finally went to see this movie. It was all right. I liked the jokes, which were funny, but the rest of it was by-the-numbers and kind of boring, frankly. I think it was half an hour too long.

Stupid as I was being led by reactions in chat to see this movie too.
I therefore agree with Lady but i think it was even one hour too long.
Apart from the lines that gave a grin on my face and the raccoon that should have it's own spin-off, it was merely SFX bull's droppings.
However therefore (?) Bates' score stood out in such way I decided to buy it. Smile 4/10

Bright Star
A biopic of the short (love)life of John Keats, UK's most famous poet of the 19th.century 6/10
Magic in the moonlight
The new Woody Allen look-in-his-thoughts. Set in late 1920's southern France a famous magician (Firth) is asked to reveal the trick a young medium (Stone) is alleged to use, but falls in love with her.
Colin Firth is great as pessimist but the love story is not convincing.
For me, as rationalist, the grumpiness of Firth is working but many will think it overdone. 6.5/10

Poland martino VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

aw

Member#: 24057

martino is offline View user's profile Send private message View martino's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions Not Included/No se Aceptan Devoluciones [orig.]

Blockbuster (?) from Mexico. Starting as a typical comedy the movie evolves towards a drama. Mexican playboy must abandon the carefree life and take care of the child. The story is funny (not stupid!) but also emotional, touching. Very good performance of Eugenio Derbez and young Loreto Peralta. Box of tissues is recommended Wink
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband and I just finished a modified binge of Beware the Batman, the CGI Batman show from last year that died an inexplicable death only to be revived at 2:30 in the morning to burn off its remaining episodes and die an explicable death. And that is a darn shame, because it's a good show.

Let me put it this way. My love for Batman: The Animated Series is no secret here. Comics and films of recent years caused me to break up with Batman. This series made me fall in love again.

There were new villains, ambitious, season-long plots, some really good fight scenes, and a few decent female characters whose jobs extended beyond sucking and dying. I will miss this Katana. I'll miss Gordon. I'll miss seeing where the Two-Face arc was going to go. This series finally made sense of why Batman's butler used to be spy. And even though I've never cared for Deathstroke, these people gave it a good try.

The complete series is out now on DVD and Blu-Ray, so I suggest you give it a shot. Maybe they'll even release the score.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

After being away on SST tour, I had to catch up:

*Life of crime Rich woman (Anniston) is kidnapped by morons and cheating husband is not willing to pay ransom. Seen such before with Bette Middler (?) 5.5/10
*A most wanted man Beautiful picture as swan song of Philip Seymour Hoffman, who showcases why we all should miss this great actor. Dutch photographer Anton Corbijn (Control) directed this story of finding an illegal immigrant before Immigration does. Herbert Grönemeyer (the American) scored and had a cameo. Must see movie
8.5/10
*Gone girl Just finished the book in time but the movie therefore
missed the point. Maybe it's an OK movie when you not read the book.
Both book and movie (script by Flynn herself) had the same unsatisfying ending. Affleck was schmeering his grinn as ever. Reznor/Ross combination made suspense soundscapes. Not worthy for album. 5/10
*The Maze Runner Young upcoming actors in this "Hunger Games" feel of movie. Promising John Paesano scored. 6/10

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I took Girlfriend along to the cinema because she wanted to see a new Dutch comedy from the makers of "de marathon" (see review in forum)

"Wonderbroeders" (translates as: Wonder Monks)

Little monastery is on the verge of being transformed into a wellnesscentre, so the few remaining monks need a miracle. 7/10
Music by Wiegel & Meirmans (Nova Zembla,Dossier K,de Marathon)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 57 of 66

Jump to: