StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA CVinHawaii VIP (subscribed member)
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 18099

CVinHawaii is offline View user's profile Send private message View CVinHawaii's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for these reviews! We don't get the foreign films here in Hawaii like San Francisco.
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Two films seen yesterday:

Love,Rosie British approach on the difficulties that occur when love is denied into friendship. At itself an entertaining, romantic movie but as compared to "Friends with benefits" it's another hopeless attempt to the delicate but oh,so fulfilling relationship with no strings attached. Everytime directors fall into the trap to make it a love story after all.
Music by Ralph Wengenmayr and way too much popsongs. 5,5/10

Exodus;Gods and kings 3D As I predicted already by having seen the trailer it's a typical SFX action movie using the Bible story as backbone. Although the relation between the two main characters should be utterly important, the acting is done with the depth of the opened Red Sea. Further disadvantage is that due to the SFX, which are of course over the top and visiually impacable, many,many movie-mistakes occur.
Probably a movie loved by the masses. Not by me 2,5/10
Alberto Iglesias' score was often overwhelmed by sound editing and felt more like underscore than on CD.

take a look at my collection: My album list
Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 36042

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:01 am   Post subject: rush / hugo cabret Reply with quote

My Christmas movies have not been christmassy at all:

24th december - Rush (2013)

Again a movie, that really is not within my usual range of interests. Watching people in cars driving in circles usually motivates me to go clean the kitchen... Or do some laundry. In addition i really knew nothing about the backstory or the people in the movie.
Spoiler:
i actually didn't know weather the people in the movie were going to survive or not...

all that being said, i really enjoyed this movie. Despite my desinterest in the topic, i was gripped by the story (which was probably supported by the fact, that i didnt know what would happen...) the acting was solid and i really enjoyed daniel brühls austrian accent Smile i liked the subtle emotional side of the story, which worked splendidly without any hollywoodkisses or cheesy violins in the background. I'm giving it a 8/10

25th december - hugo cabret (2011)

hugo cabret was nice. It had that naive, frenchy feeling that gives a fairytale the background glitter. (Does that sentence make sense to anyone but me?) But the story did not exactly grip me. Therefore i am only giving it a 6/10[/list]
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Two movies seen already in 2015:

Gf and I visited the Dutch avant-premiere.
It's very seldom that I'm taken completely by a movie.
This is such a movie, a must-see!
Alan Turing (Cumberbatch), brilliant mathematic but homosexual, develops the machine that breaks the Enigma code. Based on the sad but true story. 9/10
Great score by Alexandre Desplat, again. If someone still doubts whether he rightfully has been elected Best Composer at the WSA 5 times now (and ignored by the Academy !) name me any other one who wrote 4 amazing and outstanding scores in one year!!

Beasts of the Southern Wild.
Visually strong movie about people living outside the levee system. Harshness of life is surfacing when a storm floods the area. Oscar winning score by Dan Romer is fitting perfectly. 7/10

Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchbat wrote:

Gf and I visited the Dutch avant-premiere.
It's very seldom that I'm taken completely by a movie.
This is such a movie, a must-see!

Definitely looking forward to see this movie. And now I'm even more interested.
BTW: Hoping to find some Polish accents in it too.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:30 am   Post subject: John Wick Reply with quote

This years first sneak preview had me watching "John Wick". I was actually planning on not watching this movie, just because of doug, but as i had already paid i had really no choice.

Is Keanu Reeves a vampire? Does he bath in the blood of the innocent? How does that man look like 30 when he is actually 20 years above that? We will probably never know.

In John Wick he plays the boogeyman, an retired killer who goes on a revenge trip and every one of his adversarys is scared out of his mind, when they hear he is after them. The movie features lots of gun fights, lots of fist fights, cute dogs, nice cars, BMF Willem Defoe, lots of dead bad guys, a BMF Killer Lady, Marilyn Manson music and an IMHO apropriate amount of blood. Additionally you get to see 3 different faces of Kenau Reeves: Sad, very sad and angry. That is 2 more, then i am used to.

Alltogether the Movie left me with a positive general feeling. While it had a few scenes where my attention was not really captured (too many fistfights for my taste) most of the action scenes were rather nice. I greatly approved of the bullet-death ratio. At least on the good guys side the waste of bullets was minimal Wink The Story itself was not exactly surprising, but it was solid and had one or two turns that i did not see coming.

Rating 6,5/10
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw "John Wick" too.
Maybe I'm getting too old for this kind of movies but I found most of martial arts sequences rather boring. I saw just pre-arranged choreography and not real fight.

If you like movies based on revenge motif, I think "The Equalizer" with Denzel Washington was a bit better.
I enjoyed the concept of a "Batman-like" character travelling on a bus and not in a Batmobile and taking his equipment from tools and hardware shop Wink

BTW: I also enjoyed "The Equalizer" score more.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen today:
Oscar nominated, black-and-white roadmovie with Bruce Dern in lead role.

An old, little bit confused man leaves his home to collect a prize he thinks he had won. Along the journey his son discovers more and more about his dad's past. Entertaining, often funny movie 7,5/10

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently watched a few mini-series. One was The Red Tent, based on the novel by Anita Diamant. Sure, it was a little cheesy and most of the actors were white, but I kind of liked it, so now I'm reading the novel.

I also watched The Singing Detective, a British series starring Michael Gambon as an author with crippling psoriasis who fantasizes he is the title character, a lead from the novel he wrote, as he sits in the hospital and deals with issues physical and psychological. I'm not sure I got it.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I got to watch some movies again, one in the theatre, two at home due to the winter weather.

Shame intrigeuing UK indie movie about Brandon, a sex addict, whose life is disturbed by his sister, who moves in with him, and his disability to act to relation possibilities. Nice movie but the story wasn´t completely convincing. 6.5/10
Diplomatie After long time a new film by Volker Schlöndorf (Die Blechtrommel) based on the stage play with the same brilliant actors.
Good transition to the screen, while the story keeps the tension.
Swedish consul tries to convince German general not to blow up Paris during Allies approach. 8/10
Zero Dark Thirty Kathryn Bigelow's Oscar nominated view on the killing of Osama Bin Laden. Jessica Chastain could not convince me as tough Cia expert. Nice as documentary but that's it. Music by Alexandre Desplat doesn't stand out except for end titles 6/10

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Up next:

The Theory of Everything Oscarnominated biopic on the life of Stephen Hawking. Two brilliant performances of Eddy Redmayne and Felicity Jones.
Great score by Jóhannson that added extra value to the movie. 9/10
Compared with "The Imitation Game" it will be hard to tell what is the best Oscar candidate (if that is ever to predict). Both see tremendous performances,direction and production design. Taking regard of the aspect that both leading roles in 'Theory' are Oscar-worthy this one would have my blessing.

Unbroken On the other side we have another biopic but this shows exactly that it is the director who decides how a movie is going to look like, despite great people around her ( Coen brothers, Roger Deakins etc.)
The fact that Angelina Jolie is not a good director made this movie look awful, bad acting as a result and many cliché filmshots.
This made the film boring, despite its intense content and very, very long-winding. The life of former Olympic athlete Louie Zampirelli had deserved better. One plus, the well-fitting score by Desplat had more room to be
listened to. 4/10

Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:58 am   Post subject: blackhat Reply with quote

So... since I last posted here, I have seen about 10 movies (including Men in Tights, which I found more entertaining then I probably should have) but I shall only review my last sneak preview film because I don't see any use in reviewing movies that everyone and their mother already has seen...

So yesterdays surprise movie was "Blackhat" and despite Chris Hemsworth being (half-)naked for a satisfying amount of screen time, I left the movie rather unhappy.

The movie is about Hemsworth, hacker extraordinaire, who is taken out of jail to catch the bad (and obviously in need of psychiatric aid) hacker who just blew up a nuclear reactor in China using a modified version of some Code that Hemsworth wrote while he was in University. The movie also features a pretty Chinese love interest and her equally pretty brother, some allusions to 9/11 and terror, and the obligatory preaching about bad life choices that land you in prison.

The story was rather uninspired and straightforward. I had no surprises whatsoever while watching it and at times I had the urge to smack my head against the nearest wall due to the investigative prowess of the movies characters.

What was even worse was the attempt to give the "action-scenes" a bit of life through the liberal use of shaking cameras, which generally left me feeling nauseated instead of excited.

On the plus side, i really enjoyed the ethnic diversity of the cast. The acting was solid as far as i am concerned. And the general "Hollywood hacking" was as amusing as it usually is Very Happy

I rate this movie a 3/10, mostly because i did not fall asleep and the Asian guy was cute Very Happy
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese love interest?!! Makes it worth watching for me
But first I had some others to go through:

The Devil's double Lee Tamahori movie about the son of Sadam Hussein and his body double. Good performance by Cooper. 6.5/10
Night at the museum 2;Battle of the Smithsonian Obligatory sequel on succes concept. Lesser storyboard though with more loose ends. Stiller will never be able to act and other characters gave no surprise. Silvestri's scoring followed that down path 4.5/10
Homies Dutch debut movie with 4 homies being forced to sell 22k of cocaine in a week. predictable humor and typical Dutch overacting. 4/10
Het nieuwe Rijksmuseum;de film Documentary 10y in the making about the restoration of the Rijksmuseum. Astonishing piece of work and therefore prizewinning documentary. 7/10

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the first episode of FLCL about a week ago. Words cannot express how much I hated it.

I feel like I want to write about how I saw something and really loved it, but I can't think of anything right now. I think the last movie I saw was Into the Woods. It was a pretty good adaptation of a musical I just don't like as much now as I did 25 years ago. Whatcha gonna do?

Oh, wait. I totally forgot that I showed my daughter Star Wars for the first time, and now we're almost through The Empire Strikes Back. I'm doing my part to raise a good little nerd, and I get to enjoy watching her see the movie for the first time.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up on TV:
Changeling Missing kid is returned to mother to let the police look good. One minor thing though, the kid is not her son. 6/10

Mr.Turner Highly acclaimed movie by Mike Leigh who produced a portrait of an eccentric, grumpy Impressionist in a beautiful time set decor.
Great performance by Timothy Spall.
Oscar nominated score by Gary Yershon is IMHO not fitting to the movie 7.5/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 60 of 66

Jump to: