StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I went to the 12th PAC Festival, seeing 5 avant-premieres of arthouse movies:

Still Alice Impressive performance by Globe winner Julianne Moore, portraying a professor who suffers from early Alzheimer's. Great underscore by Ilan Eshkeri 7.5/10
Selma Much discussed docudrama on famous March for Voting rights by Martin Luther King from Selma to Montgomery.
Many discussions on not having more Oscarnominations are not justified IMO as I didn't find it that special. 6/10
Wild True story of Cheryl Shared (who did script and production) who
walked the Pacific Coast Trail unprepared and rather ignorant. I wonder why she didn't take up the role herself.
Oscar nominated Witherspoon was not convincing enough for that. Mainly source music to justify lot of flashbacks on why she came to walk this, but still doesn't make it clear. 5.5/10
Foxcatcher I had high hopes on this one but sadly they were not filled in.
True story about Olympic wrestlers Mark and David Schulz who were bought by John Du Pont to fulfill his dream of having his own winning wrestling team.
Steve Carell's nomination is OK as he portrays the weird Du Pont well but the nomination for Ruffalo in a supporting role is IMHO not justified.
Music didn't stand out but the few scenes with Vanessa Redgrave were sublime. 6.5/10
Turist Swedish entry for the Oscars.
Family values are put under stress in the aftermath of an avalanche. 'Women and children first' in this movie? Don't think so.
Lots of nice dialogue and awkward feelings 7/10

take a look at my collection: My album list
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

and the streak goes on:
First reviews are on movies I picked up on netflix and TV:

Tower Heist Again Ben Stiller but not so bad as he normally is. Movie around a luxurious apartment building where a swindler occupied the top suite.
To recover the pension money he stole from the employees they decide to rob him.
Eddie Murphy co-starred and produced this movie that holds the middle between a comedy and an adventure movie.
Strands with that too. Score by Christophe Beck is not bad but mainly underscore 5/10
Brownian Movement Dutch movie about a psychological disturbed doctor who rents an apartment where she takes patients with several disfunctions.
She then loses her job and goes with husband to India, but here the confidence is not rewon.
Hardly any dialogue in this movie with very apathic characters (surreal sometimes).
Even knowing what a Brownian Movement is I still couldn't figure out the meaning of the movie. 1/10
Hemel ("Heaven") It seems that Dutch Filmacademy graduates are either obligatoir or fond of making a movie about exploring sexuality.
This was the case with the previous one and in this movie.
It's about a teenager who swirls from one lover to another with a great attraction to her father. When he gets a new relation she's far from happy.
Hemel is in this case the name of the girl (and of course a metaphor)
Entertaining but not spectacular 6/10

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday premiered two movies:

JUPITER ASCENDING IMAX 3D
Must for SciFi lovers. Visually strong story about an heir(Kunis) to an alien family that owns the planets.
To save her family and Earth she is abducted into space and will have to confront her brothers.
She's helped by two former Skyjackers on the search of being rehabilitated.
(Bean/Tatum).
Apart from the astonishing visual effects and creatures it still has a storyline that keeps it going and making it more than just an SFX movie.
All characters are credible and fighting/pursuit scenes are well choreographed.
As a plus there's Michael Giacchino's score with full orchestra and choir,
the way I like it (HZ, here's how it's done)
This is how a blockbuster SFX movie must be made 8/10

Fifty shades of Grey WARNING: Male point of view here
Not read the book but following the reviews it was not promising much.
So I went in rather open. Storyline about a rather naïve Bridget Jones type (Johnson) with no sexual background who falls for big shot young executive
who appears to have a preference for SM-sex.
I was a bit prejudiced here about Americans making this movie as there's an inheritance of awfully made sexrelated movies.
But they did their best and it came out reasonably at it's max.
Best role is for Grey as along the movie he reveals more and more about his background and how he came to his prevailing.
As a story it is not fulfilling but most of the viewers won't go for that.
Danny Elfman underscored stylish but not spectacular, source music fits scenes better. Missing a lot of classic music that was in the book. 5.5/10

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I hallucinated. Did Dutch just give a positive review to Jupiter Ascending? I didn't see that coming!

I recently watched the rest of the original Star Wars trilogy with my daughter. Man, Empire is a strange film in many ways.

My husband and I are watching some anime called Revolutionary Girl Utena. He likes it more than I do, but that's fair.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Sorry, I hallucinated. Did Dutch just give a positive review to Jupiter Ascending? I didn't see that coming!

Try refraining from prejudice or stop putting people in boxes.
I don't think generalizing people without knowing them properly helps, opposite to actually read what they have to say every time again
You should know by now I'm not an average kind of guy, that I sometimes have different opinions but also have an open mind and a
broad scope on which I make my reviews.
Helas, you won't get me upset by remarks. A proper discussion is always welcomed (in fact a forumtopic will soon cater for that)

So, I just give 3 new reviews on movies I've seen this past week:

He's just not that into you At first an interesting approach why men are from Mars and women from Venus and why that is not working out most of the time.
Many reckognizable points to gniffle about, not always women-friendly.
Unfortunately, for making it a happy-end romantic comedy the producers chose for making up or finding new relations for (almost) all characters. 6/10
Michiel de Ruyter Dutch historical movie about our main naval sea hero of the 17th Century. Infotaining movie with great roles, especially the main character played by Frank Lammers. Epic CGI battle scenes where good for Dutch (read: low budget) standards but ended up being the most long-winding scenes in the movie. Music by Trevor Morris followed that trend. 7/10
12 years a slave Oscar winning movie 2014. True story about a free black man who was abducted into slavery. Years of survival ends up meeting an honest man (Pitt) who ensures his freedom. Tragic story is well told but is not really a good basis for an entertaining movie. The few bits of score by Hans Zimmer could easily have been left out as the negro-spirituals sung on set where much more adding to the atmosphere.
Compared to other nominees, it is not my choice for an Oscar. 6/10

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, Dutch, all I was saying is that usually your ratings don't go any higher than 7. I was just surprised to see any movie get an 8. And I do read what you write.
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchbat wrote:
LadyInque wrote:

Try refraining from prejudice or stop putting people in boxes.
I don't think generalizing people without knowing them properly helps, opposite to actually read what they have to say every time again
You should know by now I'm not an average kind of guy, that I sometimes have different opinions but also have an open mind and a
broad scope on which I make my reviews.
Helas, you won't get me upset by remarks. A proper discussion is always welcomed (in fact a forumtopic will soon cater for that)

Ha-ha! I thought the same thing as LadyI when I read Dutch's post. I don't think Dutch's response was meant to be as snarky as it came off in print. Nevertheless, Dutch, your review really made me want to go see the film because you are usually pretty harsh on CGI-heavy Sci-Fi movies, and the trailer did not make the movie seem like it would bring much substance to add to the special effects. Your unexpectedly favorable review made it seem all the more worthwhile.

Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:

Ha-ha! I thought the same thing as LadyI when I read Dutch's post. I don't think Dutch's response was meant to be as snarky as it came off in print. Nevertheless, Dutch, your review really made me want to go see the film because you are usually pretty harsh on CGI-heavy Sci-Fi

No, I didn't mean to be snarky. If it turned out that way, sorry.
What I was thoroughly triggered about is the fact that due to the nature of many Hollywood movies many of my reviews will not be 'friendly'. This, by no means, allows the statement that I dislike all or almost all Hollywood or CGI movies (are there any without CGI nowadays?). That's the generalizing I objected.
Although JA is off course full fantasy and an SFX movie the general outcome was satisfying for me and resulted in an 8 (partly due to the IMAX experience too, I guess )
If you check older postings you see that recently couple of 8's and even 9 were given.

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JOHN WICK
My husband has been asking to see this, but snow got in the way, so now we've seen it. It was what they say it was: stylish, cool, blackly humorous in some places. But (and I turn in my "cool" card as I write this) I wasn't happy about the violence. I dunno, I guess I'm tired of movies where professional killers are lionized. This was a movie about a bad person doing bad things to bad people, and that doesn't sit as well with me as it might have a while ago.

REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA
My husband is also on an anime kick. I actually like this series. We're nearly done with it, and the only disappointment is the certainty I have that none of this supernatural duelling / swords come out of people / brother-sister inappropriateness / Jim-Steinman-esque car imagery is ever going to be explained.

I kinda like the music. At least, it gets stuck in one's head. Now to check out the ST on SST!
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch, I was surprised by your Jupiter Ascending review too! It wasn't a very good film since a lot of the plot developments you could see coming and the dialogue was atrocious. I do give it kudos for excellent special effects, although at times it felt like a video game for the space battles and hand to hand fighting towards the end.

LadyInque, for some reason, I really liked John Wick and also appreciated the stylish look of the film and the whole culture of the assassins. Keanu Reeves gave a convincing performance, or maybe I just bought into the introduction of his character. Lots of gun violence but it wasn't the psychologically disturbing type of violence since I knew who the baddies were.
Poland martino VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

aw

Member#: 24057

martino is offline View user's profile Send private message View martino's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
Dutch, I was surprised by your Jupiter Ascending review too! It wasn't a very good film since a lot of the plot developments you could see coming and the dialogue was atrocious. I do give it kudos for excellent special effects, although at times it felt like a video game for the space battles and hand to hand fighting towards the end.

Regarding Jupiter Ascending I agree with zirael. After watching Matrix and Cloud Atlas I had been very curious about the next movie from Wachowski siblings. The main idea in J.A. (why human population is growing) was interesting. Visually - a masterpiece. Giacchino's score sounded perfectly. But in general, plot and acting were weak. I left the cinema disappointed.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

martino wrote:
The main idea in J.A. (why human population is growing) was interesting. Visually - a masterpiece. Giacchino's score sounded perfectly. But in general, plot and acting were weak. I left the cinema disappointed.

Due to your remarks, which I welcome more on this forum so we can have different views on movies, I need to reply to some points mentioned.
First, I didn't say it was a GOOD movie!
Although it got his 8 for visual,storyline and music; that only says it was an entertaining movie (and that I personally liked it)
It remains a Hollywood vehicle, so indeed bad acting, weak plot as Martino states (but that didn't make me leave disappointed, on the contrary)
It's like comparing a nice comic with a literature book on review.
That means using another standard.
Although If you compare it, like Martino did, with other Wachowski movies, yes then it's the lesser one.
But if I compare it to other recent SciFi movies (Interstellar,Guardians) I still believe it's much better.

Zirael said it felt like a videogame. I only recall one scene (the breaching of the minefield) that looked like that, but that was not disturbing and fitting the story (IMO)

Btw, as I was very busy I only was able to view one movie that I wanted to see just due to the fabulous score by Yeong-Wook

Sometimes comical, western-style (definitely 'Magnificent seven' ) martial arts movie. Mountain gang takes up against people-oppressing tyran.
Latter is in search of rightful heir who is amongst them. 7/10

Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 36042

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:51 am   Post subject: Cinderella Reply with quote

So. to celebrate my restored health, we went to see Cinderella yesterday.

+1 described it as follows: "It's like one of those layered wedding cakes: It looks really pretty, but tastes rather bland"

And i kind of agree. The movie was very detailed, with lovely costumes and great scenery (especially their using the "Dresdener Zwinger" for the prince's castle was rather awesome, because it is basically home...) and glitter and cute mice and all the stuff that makes fairytales nice. But the acting did not convince me... that felt more like one of those TV-movies. Not exactly bad, but not the stuff you go to the cinema to see.

Funnily enough - the longer i watched, the more those impressions turned. The glittery scenery got on my nerves after about 45 min. Overkill is an understatement here. But I kind of got used to the acting. Or maybe i was just enjoying watching Robb Stark playing the breathless love fool. Stellan Skarsgård and Cate Blancett were there too, but did not impress me too much. Helena Bonham Carter was okay, I guess. She is rather good at playing weird people Wink

What I liked, is that they stayed really close to the actual Cinderella Tale. No high tech robots, no epic battles of good and evil. Just the original story.

So altogether i give it a 5/10 because, well what did i expect when seeing a Disney fairytale.

As usual I did not notice much of the music while watching the movie. I concentrate too much on the visuals to notice anything but the worst scores. I did not, however, like the sung pieces very much, but i'm rather sure that Mr. Doyle is not to blame for that. OOh... and the dancing choreographies were rather nice.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:47 pm   Post subject: Re: Cinderella Reply with quote

DieTeeFee wrote:
What I liked, is that they stayed really close to the actual Cinderella Tale. No high tech robots, no epic battles of good and evil. Just the original story.

I'm curious to know what you consider the "original" Cinderella. Because if there's one thing I've learned as a professor of myth and folklore, it's that there really is no such thing.
Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 36042

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about tho "original" french cinderella (by perrault) - the one that the animated disney cinderella was based on as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 61 of 66

Jump to: