StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The one where translators went wrong, giving her glass slippers instead of the original green ones.
(vert/verre)

take a look at my collection: My album list
Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 36042

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

but you gotta admit, that glass shoes look a lot more impressive, then green ones Razz
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchbat wrote:
The one where translators went wrong, giving her glass slippers instead of the original green ones.
(vert/verre)

Or fur, "vair." Though I read somewhere that this "mistake" is actually not one, and they are glass.
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In Perrault's version it is glass for sure; he called the tale Cendrillon ou la Petite Pantoufle de verre.

I didn't know about the debate "vair/verre" (thanks Wikipedia!), it started almost 150 years later with Honoré de Balzac.
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I have little use for Perrault. The stories are not original to him. I mean, the "original" of any story is a complete chimera, but it bugs me that he gets so much recognition while the female writers, who practically invented the genre of contes de fées, get so little love. Perrault's changes to the tales tend to be pretty sexist, too, to put it mildly.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

No translation issues in the next one:

(No, not Birthman Exclamation )

I must admit I was a bit prejudiced because of all the fuzz and having heard the score, that I didn't like. Plus the fact I've never seen Michael Keaton act in a decent way. But my fav. actor Norton was there and the Oscars so i went with Gf.
Maybe, I'm not sure, because it was a complaint against modern Hollywood filmmaking but I loved it. Lubeski (cinematography) did a hell of a job creating the one-shot effect and as Keaton had to play himself he wasn't too bad either.
Although Sanchez' score is awful to listen to as stand alone, it kinda works in the movie with the fast walking scenes. (can we have the original classic source music on Adagio, please?)
So was it a deserved Oscar, Yes, IMO 9/10

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchbat wrote:
So was it a deserved Oscar, Yes, IMO 9/10

And the hits just keep on coming!

I totally agree with everything Dutch said about this movie. (I know, right?)

I saw it back in November. Okay, I don't know that I loved it, but the illusion of one-shot is remarkable, Ed Norton is the man, and I'll always have a soft spot for Michael Keaton, as he not only shares my husband's surname but is my ... second favorite Batman. The score I liked in context, haven't heard it out of context, but it's a neat idea that works.
Poland SSTEvents
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 33081

SSTEvents is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SSTEvents's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchbat has not much time to watch lately, due to work.
But he managed to watch "the Ides of March"

A mediocre thriller, yet again about the hustle during electional campaigns.
I think I've seen too many now. Although there was a star cast, the acting was not always convincing (director's to blame I guess)
Can't follow the high acclaims it got: 5,5/10
Music was by Desplat, didn't stand out in the movie but I'll have to check it as
standalone.
Germany plus1
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 37063

plus1 is offline View user's profile Send private message View plus1's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I involuntarily watched Hot Tub Time Machine 2 because they showed it in the sneak preview. Even though the sneak films in our cinema are usually rather mediocre and I've seen a number of bad films in the last couple of years, this one set a new negative record for disappointing already low expectations. It certainly is one of the worst films I have ever seen.
The plot is ridiculous: it involves a pair of friends who have made a fortune by travelling through time in a hot tub and stealing other peoples' ideas. One of them gets shot and fears for his life so they decide to go back in time to find and stop the shooter. But since the hot tub is kind of magical, they travel to the future instead...
However, the worst thing about this film is not its lack of ingenuity, its shallow characters nor its horrible visual design - it is its vulgarity. It seems like the creators of Hot Tub Time Machine 2 tried to compensate for all the films shortcomings with foul language, drug abuse and penis "jokes". While I can imagine that it was fun to put the script together over a couple of pints with each new idea crazier than the last, it was almost tormenting to see the film it resulted in.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time my husband and I managed to get to the movies was 4 weeks ago, but what the heck.

THINGS WE DO IN THE SHADOWS
This is a mockumentary about 4 vampires who share a house somewhere in Australia. It's funny enough, even though, like many mockumentaries, it bogs down in places. (They can's all be This is Spinal Tap.) I also kinda wish there had been more female characters, one who wasn't crazy or pathetic. Female werewolf would have been nice. Anyway, there's a joke about a duck towards the end that is totally worth the price of admission, though now I've probably spoiled it for you. Sorry.

Husband and I also finished our second watching of Revolutionary Girl Utena. I'm in love. It's taking me back to high school, in the best way. Like the main character, I too had a prince at that age. Sigh.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

THE HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES

Boring. Boring boring boring!

Look, I'll be the first to admit that I don't like Tolkien's work. I love some of the stories, and I can still write a little Sindarin, but his writing style is drier than dust to me. I never finished reading LOTR, and I only slogged through The Hobbit to win a medal at the public library. Seriously.

I loved the LOTR movies. But where those were lean, these Hobbit movies are fatty. They're slow. And they take their audience for granted. They assume that, since you're here, you must be in love with this world and want to spend hours there, with scenes that aren't necessary, aren't clear, and don't contain any plot interest.

The trilogy wasn't a total fail. Smaug was lovely. Thilbo was entertaining. And I did miss Elrond. But I just couldn't keep my interest up during the last one of these. I'm glad they're over.

THE ROYALS: SEASON ONE
This was trashy, but I loved it unironically. I'm a little sad they killed off my favorite character, but I can't wait for it to come back in November. I wonder what's on the soundtrack...
Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 36042

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:04 am   Post subject: Tracers and the Avengers Reply with quote

Mondays sneak preview was "tracers" with Taylor Lautner.

Story is about some poor bike courier whos bike gets broken and so he takes up parcour instead. (Or something like that) He also owes money to the lokal Yakuza for very mysterious reasons. (I figured it out 3 minutes into the movie). You got a chick, a touchytouchy scene for everyone who can't wait to see Lautner undressed and a LOT of shaky cameras (and i mean A LOT - +1 and me were fighting off the motion sickness for some time...). Especially compared to the wonderful choreography from Kingsman i nowadays always get the feeling movies use the shaky camera because they are too lazy to do proper action scenes...

Alltogether the plot was bad, the acting unconvincing and I left the cinema feeling like i just wasted 2 valuable hours of my life. + points for some nice parcour moves. Or at least... the moves you managed to focus on...
1/10

____

Since we did not find a cinema that showed pitch perfect 2 in english, we watched the Avengers - age of ultron yesterday.

It was entertaining but pretty average. Most scenes that had me grinning were because i found a funny reference to 9gag. I didn't much like the "romance" part and the plot itself was not really surprising...
But there was a lot of noise and explosions and pretty actors jumping around and flexing their biceps, so i'm not gonna complain. I missed Loki though... he's awesome!
In general i missed a bit of dark athmosphere. The movie failed to instill the "the world is gonna end feeling" in me. It was more like... oh robots... okay ... meh.
I liked the emphasis they put on saving civilian lives. And the glimpse into the backstory part. The personality of the bad robot surprised me a bit... not what i was expecting from the trailers...
The Action was good, but again not nearly as appealing as the wonderful choreographies of Kingsman (or maybe i was just missing the suits Wink ) I was not bored, the plot kept me interested and i left the movie with a general positive feeling. So i kinda got exactly what i was expecting.

6/10 for being entertaining but nothing special.
USA SportsFan800 VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 23771

SportsFan800 is offline View user's profile Send private message View SportsFan800's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Avengers: Age of Ultron

This latest installment in the Marvel cinematic universe does not fail to deliver. In fact I believe this one surpasses the first film from 2012. James Spader steals the show as Ultron along with some great action scenes that seemed to out-do each other as the film progressed. Add in some new faces to the mix along with a rousing score by Brian Tyler and Danny Elfman (first film with Silvestri) Age of Ultron is up there with one of Marvel's best films to date.
-4 out of 4 stars

Mad Max: Fury Road

After 30 years since George Miller last helmed a Mad Max Movie with Mel Gibson in the lead, he returns with a visually stunning and satisfying epic that surely will please Mad Max fans around the globe. Of course in this new chapter there are plenty of interesting and bizarre characters that you would expect to see in a Mad Max film including the main antagonist, Immortan Joe played by Hugh-Keays-Byrne. (previously played another character in the first film) Also the big question is how Miller would move on without Mel Gibson as Max. Well that question was answered with two emphatic lead performances by Tom Hardy as Max and Charlize Theron as Furiosa. The chemistry between them is pretty much instantanious from the beginning and the action scenes in the movie are pretty much non-stop and epic as you can get. Miller has definitely outdone himself even after 30 years since Thunderdome and I definitely look forward to more future Mad Max installments.

Scorewise, Junkie XL succeeds in a big way in creating a sound that captures the post-apocalyptic landscape as well as the frenetic epic actions scenes that made this movie so fun to watch. You can also hear the influence that Hans Zimmer has had on Junkie and it works very well in the film and if your a big fan of Zimmer then you'll love the Mad Max Fury Road soundtrack.
-4 out of 4 stars
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SAMURAI JACK: SEASON ONE

I watched this because the DVD is always there on the shelf at the library, and I liked what Genddy Tartakovsky did with Clone Wars. This story of a samurai prince (is such a thing possible?) magically sent to the future by an evil wizard is more style than substance, unfortunately. The last few episodes of the series are the best, featuring more plot and characters. I got the second season, but I don't know if I'm going to watch it. The theme song is a total earworm, though.

FIFTY SHADES OF GREY

I got this because I wanted to watch a comedy, and for the most part, this movie didn't disappoint. I've never read the books and I don't care to, but I had to see what the buzz was about. Not much, in the end, but parts of this movie are entertaining, and I can't believe that all the humor was unintentional. I even liked the ending, for reasons I'll tell you in a Spoiler:
This movie seems like the fairy-tale inspired fantasy of a beauty whose love is going to redeem the Beast. It's the story that if only you love someone enough, they'll change. That's not true, and I think believing it's true does more harm than good. So when Christian beats Ana, what does she learn? Sacrifice and love are not going to fix this guy. So she takes what's hers and leaves. It's an ending that grew on me the more I thought about it, but my satisfaction sours when I remember there are sequels and she does end up marrying this piece of work.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have been missing me for quite some time here, but I'll catch up with you.
During my absence (and most likely the last couple of weeks) I've managed to see those documentaries and movies.:

There are 3 documentary movies:
Dior and I; Holland,natuur in de Delta and Spinoza,een vrije denker:
All interesting and outclassing many regular released movie nowadays.
The first is of course about fashion house Dior, the second is the follow up of "de nieuwe wildernis" which contains equally astonishing footage but lacks a good storyline.
Spinoza,free thinker (transl.) is about the life and thoughts of Baruch Spinoza, the most influential Dutch philosopher during the 17th century.

Then there are the movies:
Kingsman;the secret service.
Very Bondish, with nice choreography, a bit disappointing in score.
Vacation: Could have known, immediately to forget
Rommel and Raid on Rommel Both outdated views or romanticized story around German Fieldmarshall Rommel during his North African Korps years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 62 of 66

Jump to: