StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What book are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
UK aaronbuckleymusic
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 37316

aaronbuckleymusic is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website aaronbuckleymusic's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the first few pages of The Martian (it was my friends book) and it looked really good. I'm skeptical of Ridley Scott's film adaptation though as I've not been a big fan of his recent films, so am contemplating checking out the rest of the book.

Currently reading Halo: Mortal Dictat though, and thoroughly enjoying it. Karen Traviss has done a great job with it, and it might even been my favourite novel from the Halo universe. I wonder what else she's written...
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past week, I have cruised through two books.

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix. Very scary, but it falls into the same trap many horror stories do. Once you find out the story, the reason behind the horror, you can't help but say, "Oh. Is that all?"

Room, by Emma Donoghue. I devoured this, but I don't think I'll read it again, and I certainly won't watch the movie.

So now I'm reading The Birthgrave, by Tanith Lee. My favorite author's first novel, so I'm trying to keep my expectations balanced.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am almost done with the French Houllebecq novel new entries were coming at the doorstep.
Gf won a prize where she could pick 4 titles in total.
Those will be entered here when I start on those.
For now I got an order in with the new Franzen:

And a paperback version of "To kill a mockingbird" which I will read after the new Harper Lee novel. On which more later.

take a look at my collection: My album list

Last edited by Dutchbat on Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
USA lotrgirl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 7872

lotrgirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View lotrgirl's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen The Princess Bride too many times to count, and I'm finally reading the book! It's well worth the read!
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did finalize " to kill a mockingbird" but have no intension to read "the catcher in the rye" as it appears to be much of the same story only from a different angle. Someone correct me if I'm misjudging here.

However a new thriller from my favorite Dutch author Tomas Ross came out.
And I did a nice Stephen King in the time in between.

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch, I think you're confusing The Catcher in the Rye with Go Set a Watchman. The latter is a sort-of sequel (say, companion piece) to To Kill a Mockingbird. Same story, sorta, from what I've heard. Catcher in the Rye is a novel by Salinger, a bildungsroman about some loser named Holden Caulfield. Not even related. I remember disliking it back in high school, but you might give it a shot.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are absolutely true LadyI.
I mixed those up, my bad, no checking it before posting.
Catcher in the rye is still on my to-read list so maybe I'll pick it up at the library one day when I'm out of books at home.
Best Wishes and lots of good reading stuff for you to read in 2016!!

Germany danleich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 37055

danleich is offline View user's profile Send private message View danleich's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it is my first post in this thread i would like share some of my favorites, more in the fantasy genre.

First of, there goes the "Lightbringer" series by Brent Weeks, starting with "The Black Prism". If you are into action-fantasy, this is defintely for you, believable adorable characters doing mistakes and haviong to live (or die) with the consequences, magic through light and a writing style, that made me read the books till the middle of the night easily add up.
Next is the "Night Watch" series by Sergej Lukyanenko, set in modern day Moscow it is a series about the difference in doing the right and doing the best for all, with a protagonist struggling to find the answer to that problem.
Last and also on a current reread is the Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski, about a monster slayer having morality issues, love problems and generally feels misplaced in the world he lives in. This series is the base for the famous video games, which are known here for their nice soundtracks Wink
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, danleich, some of those are classics. Minor classics, anyway.

I'm currently reading You're Never Weird on the Internet (almost): A Memoir, by Felicia Day. I'm not a big fan of hers (nothing nefarious; I'm just not familiar with much of her creative work) but I grabbed the book at the library and I'm hooked. As someone in a crisis point in her life, where I'm considering some sort of creative career, the book is alternately inspiring and terrifying.

I'm also working my way through Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History. I know I can write at least as well as these people. I know it.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finished Long Hidden and promptly listed it on Amazon. It sold, and is now out of my hands. Honestly, with a few exceptions the stories were like spinach. I knew they were good for me, but I didn't like them. Actually, that's not fair. I really do like spinach.

I also just finished Jim Henson: The Biography by Brian Jay Jones. It's my mom's book; she thought it'd be interesting to me. I almost didn't make it past the first chapter, but eventually I got into it. I found it surprisingly affecting, but not in the way you'd think. I found myself thinking Jane Henson, his wife, got a raw deal. She founded the company with him, and then quit performing so she could raise their 5 kids. Eventually she and her husband grew apart and separated, and she lost her share in the company. Look, I know he was a genius, but he sounds like he was hard to live with, and isn't it convenient that he had someone to raise his kids while he did his thing?
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I started in the follow-up of "Mr.Mercedes" by Stephen King.
It's called in Dutch: de eerlijke vinder
Original title: Finders Keepers.

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working through two books.

First, I'm reading James E. Falen's translation of Eugene Onegin, by Pushkin. I've become a little obsessed with that story lately, and I'm really enjoying the book. Please, if you have an opinion on some other translation being better, hold back. I did some research and had to pick something.

I'm also studying Divine Science: Finding Reason at the Heart of Faith, by Michael Dennin. The author is a family friend of mine, though I haven't seen him in ages and I have nothing but disdain for his appearing on Ancient Aliens. I'm actually outlining the book in an effort to read it more thoroughly, and I'm writing reactions as I finish each chapter. I hope to turn them into a short letter to send back to him. Hey, he signed my copy; he's asking for detailed feedback.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dutch National Book Week is always a good excuse to get some new stuff as you get an extra novel for free (and a day of free train travel)
This year that was "Broer" by Esther Gerritsen.
Gf and me got three new books:

*De gevleugelde (transl. as "the winged one") by Arthur Japin
A story about the life of aviation pioneer Santos-Dumont
*Nachtblauw (transl. as "Midnight Blue) by Simone van der Vlugt
Another historical novel by fav. author about a housekeepster of a Delft industrial family in the 17th century with a painting talent for the famous Delft Blue china.
*Daar is hij weer by Timur Vermes
An hilarious story (and film recently) about Adolf Hitler reappearing in public, but not taken seriously, ending up as a comedian on TV.
Great reviews.

And as April is the month of philosophy I will share my previous buy as well:

*Spinoza by Henri Krop
A study on the life and works of the versatile philosopher Baruch de Spinoza, worldfamous Dutchman but from Portugese origin. Founding father of Dutch liberal thinking.
[/b]

Last edited by Dutchbat on Sun May 08, 2016 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 36042

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:08 am   Post subject: stuff i'm reading right now. Reply with quote

after i have finished reading "the rider on the white horse" by Theodor Storm

i have started on some polish literature now Wink
Miecz przeznaczenia (dunno the english title... is that even translated yet?)

oh... and on the side i'm doing some light reading...
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow there are Assassin Creed books? Smile

I have made a goodreads account now. I have read some books apparently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 49 of 54

Jump to: