StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

5 Min req wait for VIPs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some tweaking on what SAM puts in the queue. It should pick now more popular tracks. But I cannot test it because people are requesting Smile
Poland olaziolek
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 23654

olaziolek is offline View user's profile Send private message View olaziolek's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what happens when you tweak in the rush hours Very Happy

adding my voice to the conversation:
my idea was to lower the non-VIP's waiting time to very low if the q is below 1h. this way the non-VIPs can quickly help the VIPs fight off SAM. it makes no sense when there's no-one to req when the q is very short, SAM starts to attack, i want to fight, but my non-VIP waiting time stays at 30 minutes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still on the "making SAM better approach"

I am still in a learning curve when it comes to tweaking. So what I have done. SAM will fill up the gaps in the following order (no repeat rule is still in place)

- add a popular track
- add a track by a least played artist
- add a popular track
- add a random track
- add a popular track
- rinse and repeat

Let us see in a downtime if it works or not.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Cal! Sounds interesting!
And great to have a proper, interesting discussion in SST forums again. It's been quite a long time!

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
UK Dragonel VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliburn wrote:
I did some tweaking on what SAM puts in the queue. It should pick now more popular tracks. But I cannot test it because people are requesting Smile

I did think last night that SAM's choices were better and only saw your post this morning, Cal, so that is hopeful. I'll keep watch later and maybe try not to interrupt SAM so much.

Thanks for pursuing this option.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record. SAM needs to "learn". It will probably take a couple of weeks for the new settings to get in full effect and pick the nice tracks from time to time.
USA SportsFan800 VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 23771

SportsFan800 is offline View user's profile Send private message View SportsFan800's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put this in simplest of terms. "If its not broke, why fix it?"
USA Grenadier
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 14592

Grenadier is offline View user's profile Send private message View Grenadier's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SportsFan800 wrote:
"If its not broke, why fix it?"

If it can be better, and make the site more popular, why NOT improve it?
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliburn wrote:
Just for the record. SAM needs to "learn". It will probably take a couple of weeks for the new settings to get in full effect and pick the nice tracks from time to time.

Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything becasue I didn't think that SAM's choices had improved much... but if he needs time to learn... Wink Laughing

Anyway, I still don't think that increasing VIP req wait times has done much to diversify the queue.
Listener numbers are usually between 250 and 500 people, but there's maybe around 50 people (I'm being generous...) who regularly request.
Apparently that feature is not that important to most listeners.
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 12158

starstudios is offline View user's profile Send private message View starstudios's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5 min wait time for VIP members who have paid to request songs is not only disturbing, it violates the agreement we made when we paid the money to become VIPs. I cannot tell you how many times I have been on SST at night and must wait an hour while system/admin plays some of the most bizarre and random tracks before my requests are even played. This is not a good development. Further, "more variety" in soundtrack music means random video game themes and cartoons, SST will suffer.
Germany danleich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 37055

danleich is offline View user's profile Send private message View danleich's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen, the 5 minute timer seems to work, if there are enough people around, who want to request at the 1h30min mark. If the number of users online decreases, like on the weekends or US night shift, it seems to be more and more difficult to keep SAM away. It was already quite challenging with the 2 min time for one person alone, if you hadn't your full attention on SST.
I was wondering, if it was possible to couple the request timer with the user number? So if few people are online, we have a shorter waiting time, if more are online a longer one. Any ideas on that?
USA SportsFan800 VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 23771

SportsFan800 is offline View user's profile Send private message View SportsFan800's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Grenadier wrote:
SportsFan800 wrote:
"If its not broke, why fix it?"

If it can be better, and make the site more popular, why NOT improve it?

Of course the site can be improved but I don't believe changing the request time for VIP's from 2 to 5 mins is the answer. That's the point of upgrading. Not only do you help out the station, but you get to request more often and 2 minutes was perfectly fine. Now EFM and 80's.fm have 1 min requests for VIP's under 1:30 but granted there are alot less listeners/members there. The only reason I would see them changing it here was because there were a number of non-VIP people complaining that VIP people were requesting right at the 1:30 threshold of the queue and causing them to wait longer to get a song in. Of course I have my doubts about that.

Now currently during the evenings its pretty much all SAM. Occasionally you will see other people with a nice train going and a variety of selections but lately SAM still likes to pick questionable selections. I myself have not upgraded to VIP in 3 months but with the new request wait it will be a bit harder to keep SAM away unless I pick a number of tracks that exceed 5 mins. So with that why not have a certain time of day, say 8/9 pm Eastern Time where the queue wait goes back down to 2 mins for VIP. That would be my suggestion, otherwise I think they should go back to the 2 mins entirely. Also why not going back down to 2 hrs for non-vip when the queue is over 1:30 and down to 20 mins for VIP's to at least compensate the current change. Just my suggestions and two cents on the whole thing.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

During Europe office hours the 5 minute period is IMHO just perfect. Queue is around 90 minutes and it is more diverse and less trains.

It is possible to build in that the VIP wait time is 2 minutes during weekend and American evenings/afternoons. But what I would like to know is at what time (SST time) SAM is taking over during the day.
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

starstudios wrote:
The 5 min wait time for VIP members who have paid to request songs is not only disturbing, it violates the agreement we made when we paid the money to become VIPs. I cannot tell you how many times I have been on SST at night and must wait an hour while system/admin plays some of the most bizarre and random tracks before my requests are even played. This is not a good development. Further, "more variety" in soundtrack music means random video game themes and cartoons, SST will suffer.

The 5 min wait time (if the queue is below 1:30) for VIPs is the time you have to wait between requests. That you have to wait for an hour minimum is because of rules we (SST) have to comply. In that way we pay less royalty fees. That is the reason why the queue is automatically filled to 1 hour.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note. As far as I know the VIP agreement is that you have the opportunity to request more often than a non-VIP. And that is still the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: