StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Hidalgo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Patje
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 482

Patje is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Patje's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:21 pm   Post subject: Hidalgo Reply with quote

Did anyone see the movie Hidalgo?
I'd like to go to that movie but I have second thoughts after watching the trailer.
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 3050

Bruiser is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Bruiser's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hidalgo was a great movie!! It was an entertaining, suspensful adventure. The relationship between Frank (Viggo Mortensen - *sigh!) and his horse Hidalgo was funny and touching. The performances are great and the look of the film is magnificent. The coming together of two cultures both in the friendship between the Bedouin sheik (Omar Sharif)and in Frank himself are inspiring.

There has been controversy regarding the authenticity of the story, i.e. Frank Hopkin's claims to have ridden in the Ocean of Fire race, whether it ever actually took place, etc. etc. I don't think you should worry about that if you go see it. Hidalgo is one of those movies where you say, "If that ain't true, it oughta be." One caution I would give - for a Disney film, it is rather violent; I would not recommend it for very young children. Take them to see Home on the Range instead.
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Hidalgo for at least trying to tackle some weighty issues like loss of the Native American way of life and the mustang as a symbol of that culture.

I was a little upset that so many nameless Arabs were killed by spearing or shootings, some of the villains were stereotypical portrayals, and the other Bedouin riders in the Ocean of Fire race were not fully developed characters.

Although the film had a very simple and predictable plot, I enjoyed the action scenes and subtle romance. The performance by Omar Sharif helped to elevate the film. Viggo Mortensen did a good job looking fatigued and anguished on his horse, kind of like Aragorn in the Two Towers.

It was entertaining if you don't think about it too hard!
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that Bruiser's a little biased.
You show her a film of Viggo picking his ear and she'll give it a thumbs up.
Patje
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Patje is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Patje's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx.

Quote:
Keep in mind that Bruiser's a little biased.
You show her a film of Viggo picking his ear and she'll give it a thumbs up.

Laughing It's funny that one movie can change an appearance of one man. A few noticed him in Crimson Tide, Many hated him in G.I.Jane and, although I thought he played well, nobody will remember his performance in A Perfect Murder.
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, what about Prophecy?
graywolf
Commander
Commander

Member#: 2693

graywolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website graywolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Which guy was he in Crimson Tide?

Bruiser congrats on your first forum post!!
Caliburn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him in Daylight about a month ago. To me he was an invisible actor before LotR. I have seen GI jane and Crimson Tide too. But I couldn't recall him playing in those movies.
Lordfan
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 6119

Lordfan is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Lordfan's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Hidalgo very much. Some stories about it were very negative, but I did not think so.

And I remember his performance in A perfect murder
(I've got the video) and he is great there.
Patje
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which guy was he in Crimson Tide?

He played "Web". Denzel Washingtons best friend.
He operated in the torpedoroom.

In G.I.Jane he had the lead role besides Demi Moore.

Quote:
Heh, what about Prophecy?

Never saw that movie. I checked IMDB.com and it's not my kind of movie. So, I won't see it at all, I geuss.
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on. He plays Satan in the Prophecy. Good Stuff!
Gr81
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 5444

Gr81 is offline View user's profile Send private message Gr81's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Hidalgo last Tuesday. It was a really good movie. Go see it if you still can.
Cadet 2

Member#: 2782

keolanut is offline View user's profile Send private message keolanut's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent gotten to see it yet, But Im gonna see it when it comes out on dvd. I imagine that it should be out soon. Does anyone know when it will be out ?
Cadet 3

Member#: 6459

__Daedalus__ is offline View user's profile Send private message __Daedalus__'s Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen the trailer yet, and it looked incredibly impressive. Btw does anyone know the name or where I can get the music from the trailer? Hopefully seeing the film next week! Smile
USA circleprovider
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 4984

circleprovider is offline View user's profile Send private message circleprovider's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the movie on opening weekend, but that's normal, as I've said before I'm a bit of a spaz when it comes to movies.

I remember it was opening weekend because I thought it was odd that such a movie was playing on such a small screen. As it turned out there was a really bloody movie about some historical figure who lived a couple thousand years ago that came out that same night and pushed all other movies aside.

It was a small theater, the sound was minimal, over all not the best movie viewing experience, but I still had a great time watching the movie.

I also read an interview with Viggo earlier that day which I think helped. The are two key elements that I think helped make the movie that much better. The first, this was a role that Viggo had wanted to do. He was interested in the character and wanted to do a good job in portraying him. He also has great respect for the Mustang as well as all horses. And two, the "main" horse that they used for Hidalgo was not a properly trained horse, but he was a natural. The horse was able to "show" personality and do moves on command that they normally have to train horses for several weeks for. And knowing that before you go into the movie made it that much more interesting to watch the interaction between Frank and Hidalgo.

I think it also helped that Viggo already is a competent rider. He rode in most of the scenes, if not all, including the dangerous 500 horse mad-dash scenes. The director found that they had to stick with Viggo simply because of his unique stance when riding a horse.

All in all, it was a good movie to watch. I would recommend it to anyone who likes Action or like in Bruiser's case, Viggo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: