StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Your Personal Celebrations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, GalFin! That's the Silver anniversary, according to Hallmark. Lemme see what I can do in the queue...
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is my 13th anniversary with my husband, which makes it a Happy Prime Anniversary!
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish you both lasting in good health till Mersenne Prime Anniversary Lady! Smile

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, mol! The next Mersenne Prime is 31, which is also happy, so that will be one hell of a party!

Isn't recreational mathematics grand?
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 57

Morg is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Morg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate and suck at math of any kind (unless it involves counting money). Congrats on 13 years!
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this really qualifies for this thread, but,... I finally finished the first draft of a musical composition! Keep in mind I'm definitely an amateur. I've been working on numerous compositions in my precious little spare time for almost 20 years now. But this marks the first time I've finished a piece from beginning to end. So it kind of feels like a celebration is in order.

In case anyone's interested, it's a choral setting of a traditional South American dinner time prayer, written for SATB plus piano accompaniment. It runs about 9 minutes in length. There's certainly nothing ground-breaking about it, and I don't even consider it among my best work. But it has special emotional significance for me and my family, and heck, its the first thing I've ever finished!

Of course, now the hard work really begins: Trying to edit away its many rough edges and trying to convince an ensemble to perform it. That would be the REAL celebration.
Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally believe in celebrating finishing drafts! Drafts are important, and useful, and they represent so much work while they also tell you how much more you have to do. So good on you, Luther_III!
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 played its last show on Broadway this afternoon, which makes me unbearably sad. This show was one of the few things I've loved unironically the past year, and one that wasn't ruined by a Russian baritone's brain tumor.

However, I choose to celebrate that I got to see the show again yesterday afternoon and had a brilliant time. The cast I knew was all there (except the guy playing Andrej, but that makes sense) and I got to see the show's creator Dave Malloy play Pierre, which was special. I was surrounded by Comet-heads (except the stone-faced older couple in the row behind me) and I sang along and clapped and stomped my feet and cried and laughed and I will remember it always.

I hope the show finds new life and more people can see it.

In other news, I have 144 stanzas to my novel. One gross.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:
I'm not sure if this really qualifies for this thread, but,... I finally finished the first draft of a musical composition! Keep in mind I'm definitely an amateur. I've been working on numerous compositions in my precious little spare time for almost 20 years now. But this marks the first time I've finished a piece from beginning to end. So it kind of feels like a celebration is in order.

In case anyone's interested, it's a choral setting of a traditional South American dinner time prayer, written for SATB plus piano accompaniment. It runs about 9 minutes in length. There's certainly nothing ground-breaking about it, and I don't even consider it among my best work. But it has special emotional significance for me and my family, and heck, its the first thing I've ever finished!

Of course, now the hard work really begins: Trying to edit away its many rough edges and trying to convince an ensemble to perform it. That would be the REAL celebration.
Mr. Green

Congratulations - yes, finishing a stage, even an early stage, is worth celebrating, particularly if it is a first. Cool
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

150 stanzas! w00t! I have updated my signature line accordingly. Now, if only I knew how many stanzas this was going to be in the end, I'd have something. Right now, I roughly estimate that I will be done with the current draft in July 2018. Wish me luck.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
150 stanzas! w00t! I have updated my signature line accordingly. Now, if only I knew how many stanzas this was going to be in the end, I'd have something. Right now, I roughly estimate that I will be done with the current draft in July 2018. Wish me luck.

Hey, that's wonderful, Lady! Definitely wishing you luck and success. Very Happy

By the way, I've noticed your signature line and have been meaning to ask you: How would you characterize the difference between a novel in verse and an epic poem? I would have thought they could be considered the same, but perhaps not?

Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Tch... I've never actually considered that question. Thank you!

One difference would be the way they are created and performed. Epic poems are traditionally oral in nature, and once upon a time, were performed aloud and from memory by professional reciters. Or sung in locker rooms, I guess. A novel, on the other hand, is a thing of ink and paper, or the electronic equivalents thereof. It allows the writing to me more complicated and the tale told in a more complex way.

Another difference might be subject matter. Epic poems tend to be, well, epic, with gods and monsters and games and thrones and so on. A novel can be that, but if your poem has only 7 characters in it, as mine does, I don't think it's really epic. It's a novel. If I had any faith in my ability to write prose, it could be a prose novel. But I don't, and it isn't.

For what it's worth, my husband frequently tells me I'm writing an epic poem, and he's an English major, so what do I know?
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, I had a story accepted for publication by Body Parts Magazine. It's an online 'zine, but it pays. That will make 2 publications in 2 years (assuming it goes live before January). Yay!
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
In other news, I had a story accepted for publication by Body Parts Magazine. It's an online 'zine, but it pays. That will make 2 publications in 2 years (assuming it goes live before January). Yay!

Congratulations! Please let us know when it's available.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

GalFin wrote:
LadyInque wrote:

Congratulations! Please let us know when it's available.

And so I shall. The story is available to read here:
http://www.bodypartsmagazine.com/mana_virtueofeducation.html

Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 32 of 39

Jump to: