StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What book are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading The Beguiled by Thomas Cullinan, because I saw the new movie. I have to read it fast, because the library wants it back in 10 days.

I never did finish Beren and Lúthien, but that's not a surprise.

I'm also reading Neil Gaiman's The View from the Cheap Seats, which is nice, short essays and therefore easy to sneak in around the other stuff I'm reading.
Commander
Commander

aw

Member#: 24057

martino is offline View user's profile Send private message View martino's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
I'm also reading Neil Gaiman's The View from the Cheap Seats, which is nice, short essays and therefore easy to sneak in around the other stuff I'm reading.

I'm reading Neil Gaiman's book as well. Quite a different one, though. As Marvel's "Ragnarok" will be released soon, so this is an opportunity to learn Norse mythology. Gaiman retells stories about Odin, Thor, Loki and other gods in his specific way (funny and captivating).
Poland martino VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

aw

martino is offline View user's profile Send private message View martino's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading (actually, I 've almost finished) a book written by a very popular Polish composer Krzesimir Debski. However "Nic nie jest w porządku" (eng. "Nothing is right") has nothing to do with music. In his book Debski described his family story: very sad, traumatic, full of pain and death. On July 11, 1943 in Debski's hometown everything changed after almost all people were killed by Ukrainian nationalists. This was only one episode of Volyn genocide (massacres of Poles in Volhynia and Eastern Galicia). Thousands of civilians were slaughtered, shot, hanged, drowned, raped, burned alive ... total madness. It is hard to read ... and hard to believe that nowadays there are still people who trust ethnic political propaganda.
Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 36042

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Ecce Homo by Nietzsche right now... and either I am one of those people he talks about who are too stupid to understand his writing and feel therefore offended, or maybe the guy was just not a very nice person... who knows. I can only read it in single page steps... but it's pretty thin, so progress is good.

Also approaching page 200 of leviathan wakes. I am enjoying that very much, though i do fear that stopping after the first book might be a bit hard. We'll see about that.
Canada Bryophyte
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 31259

Bryophyte is offline View user's profile Send private message View Bryophyte's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Impatiently waiting for the 5th 'Expanse' book and cursing the person at the library who is always one book ahead of me. I found 'Leviathan Wakes' okay, but have really enjoyed the following books.

Until that arrives, Harry Potter re-read.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Bite at First Sight, by Brooklyn Ann. It's the third novel in a series of vampire romances that are exactly as good (and, frankly, as much fun) as they sound.

I started a novel called Snow Child yesterday, but it opens with a description of a late-term pregnancy loss, and honestly, I don't think I want to keep going, no matter how good the blurbs are, or how cool it is that the author's name is Eowyn.
Commander
Commander

aw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

I'm embarrassed to say ... After watching "Blade Runner" (1982) several times I've just started reading the book. BR2049 made me do it. Well, better late than never, they say. I'm in the middle of the story and I like it. It's different than the movie, more grim and apocalyptic.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Something Red by somebody named Douglas. All the reviews told me I wouldn't be able to put it down once I started. After 100 pages it got interesting. If it weren't for the Tanith Lee blurb on the back I would have tossed it.

I'm also reading a collection of Beauty and the Beast stories edited by Maria Tatar.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading The Black Opera by Mary Gentle. It's long, but it's everything I love about opera without having to sit through one!

I finished the Tatar book, and I'm waiting for a book about martyred sisters in El Salvador to come in from the library.
Commander
Commander

aw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame on me! I've been living in Warsaw all my life and I didn't know this story! Diane Ackerman wrote her book about keepers of the Warsaw Zoo, Antonina and Jan Zabinski, who helped save many Polish Jews escaping from the ghetto during WWII. I wouldn't say it's a novel. The book is full of historical facts about life in occupied city but also family stories and quotes from Antonina's private diary. It was a fascinating read to me.

I missed The Zookeeper's Wife with Jessica Chastain at my cinema but I hope I'll see it soon on DVD.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished two disappointing books.

The Storm Lord, by Tanith Lee. She's my favorite author, but this one is a snooze. It's a typical '70s fantasy, all made-up names and words, and portents and birthrights and purple prose. And don't get me started on how she treats female characters. This wasn't her first novel, so maybe the sophomore slump concept is true.

Gilded Cage, by Vic James. Good worldbuilding, characters I cared about, and then at the end it just stops. Nothing is concluded. I guess she's setting up a series. God, do I begin to hate series.

Seriously, nothing turns me off faster than seeing the phrase "Book One of the <blank> Saga" on a book cover. It sucks more when that's a surprise on you at the end. One thing I will say for the book I'm writing: there will be no sequel.

Speaking of sequels, I started The Girl in the Tower, by Katherine Arden. I hope it's good. I hope it doesn't matter that I forgot most of the stuff from the first book.
Commander
Commander

aw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan

After people started talking about Altered Carbon, a new Netflix series and the book I was skeptical ... and curious at the same time. I wanted to read the book first. I did it and I'm not disappointed. Altered Carbon turned out to be a decent entertaining cyberpunk detective story. I found the idea of digitized consciousness and changing bodies very ingenious. It makes the novel even more complex asking questions about human nature. Encouraged by the book I can watch the show now and read the second and third parts of Takeshi Kovacs trilogy.

Note: With the graphic violence, torture and x-rated sex scenes I wouldn't recommend the book for very young and sensitive people.
markwood007788

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reading the adult manga.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading a bunch of stuff right now, including a second stab at Anna Karenina. Levin just showed up and reminded me why I stopped in the first place. Kitty is too good for him.

I'm working on two short story collections. One is How Long 'til Black Future Month? by N.K. Jemisin, who I'm liking a lot more in short form than in any of her novels. The other is A Feast of Sorrows by Angela Slatter, which is just like Tanith Lee stories except I don't really care.

I really want to find a novel I can fall in love with. It's been a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Is http://goodreads.com ever discussed here? A bunch of us are on there. It is a great way to keep track of each others books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 52 of 54

Jump to: