StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Your Personal Celebrations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really great news, and must be quite satisfying for you, LadyInque. Congrats!
Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the New Year, so I am doing what I've been doing for years: listening to my entire score collection, album by album, in random order as selected by iTunes. I am rather angry at the latter, I must say, because the current iteration of the software deleted all my "last played" data when I reset the play counts. Rather, rather angry. There may have been swearing.
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 43

Caliburn is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Caliburn's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditch iTunes as soon as possible for MusicBee. You should be able to import your iTunes data in it without any problems.

https://getmusicbee.com/
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could, Cal, but it doesn't seem to work on a Mac.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
It filled! The Kickstarter met its goal! Now if all goes to plan, I'll be in a real, live book in November, with authors who have won awards and stuff, or at least published enough to have fan bases.

Did this book get released LadyInque?
Commander

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this was fun. Several years ago, I arranged one of my favorite piano solo pieces for big band (aka jazz orchestra), and recently it was played live!

Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor--nicknamed "The Bells of Moscow"--has always been a favorite of mine, both to play and to listen. You can hear a decent recording of it here.

Goofing around on the piano one day, I started playing it in swing rhythm, just to be silly. It struck me that it could actually make a decent jazz concert piece. So I did my best to arrange it for standard big band instrumentation. But I'm not really a jazz musician, so it was a little rough. Finally, after letting it sit for a few years I convinced a friend of mine, a real bona fide jazz musician, to help edit it into a playable arrangement. And, he liked it well enough that he had his big band play it live! Very Happy

I'll say it turned out even better than I'd thought, and it was quite a thrill to hear live musicians play music that came from my own imagination!

In case you're interested, you can have a listen here.

Just keep in mind the band did make a few mistakes. Embarassed We'll have to get that fixed for next time.

Mr. Green

Last edited by Luther_III on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

zgurl49 wrote:
Did this book get released LadyInque?

Yeah, about that.

You see, the thing is: publishing, especially for short stories, is a fickle beastie. Delays are frequent. Unforseen hiccups, too common. And in this case, the editors and the publishers had a disagreement that let to them dissolving their partnership.

So, where does this leave the book? It's still coming out. The editors are publishing it themselves and currently waiting for the last of the revised author contracts to come in so they can do just that. There is a web page with some promo art that just went live: predatorsinpetticoats.com. If you backed the Kickstarter and are no longer getting updates (one went out today), then hie ye hither and email the editors, so you can be added to their list. Believe me, I feel your frustration and impatience. My sixth-grade teacher donated to this effort. With a check. I don't want to let her down.

Luther_III wrote:
Several years ago, I arranged one of my favorite piano solo pieces for big band (aka jazz orchestra), and recently it was played live!

Luther_III, I am so happy for you! It sounds really good, despite the few flubs I didn't even notice. (My 9-year-old's band concert was yesterday; believe me, a few mistakes are nothing.) I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the original piece. Is there a link you can give us to a preferred performance?
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lady!

I edited my original post with a link to a YouTube recording of the original. It's Rachmaninoff's most famous composition, so enjoy!

Mr. Green
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 3050

Bruiser is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Bruiser's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:11 pm   Post subject: So I did a thing... Reply with quote

Y'all may know about it by now, but in case you don't, I decided to put my contemporary fantasy, Tunerville, out on Amazon under my own imprint.

In the book, a paranormal investigator who creates a remote that tunes up ghosts (!) must deal with the unexpected consequences of his invention.

Reasons for indie pubbing after I swore I wouldn't:

1. After losing my job, selling my house and moving, upheaving my whole life and finding myself in a new place still looking for a job, I needed to frickin accomplish something. Razz

2. I did a major restructure after working with an editor that finally did the book justice and I didn't want to waste it.

3. Publishing it forced me to stop mindlessly messing with it, lol.

4. It also forced me to get busy editing the sequel.

If you'd like to buy a copy, you can get it at the link below for Kindle or in paperback if you prefer that. If you don't have a Kindle, there's a free app that works on most tablets, phones, and computers.
I put it on Amazon's worldwide distribution, so if you're not in the US, you can still get it (in English). Smile

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1734483717
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Bru, that is great news. I'm so glad that you got your book out there. I hope you got the feeling of accomplishment you were looking for, and to quote the best advice Neil Gaiman never took, "This is really great. You should enjoy it."
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Bruiser is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Bruiser's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Bru, that is great news. I'm so glad that you got your book out there. I hope you got the feeling of accomplishment you were looking for, and to quote the best advice Neil Gaiman never took, "This is really great. You should enjoy it."

Thanks LadyI. I still have my sights set on traditional publishing, hopefully with NewBook. Of course, now I have to market the thing, but I would anyway, even if one of the Big Five put it out there. It's all pretty much on us now. Razz
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Predators in Petticoats went out in digital form to the Kickstarter backers! That means that it's now a book, albeit an ebook, and that means it's a step closer to being an ebook for general sale, and that means it's a step closer to being a real paper-and-glue book!

So much agita for my one story, but I really can't wait to hold it in my hands.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyI--woohoooooo!!! \0/
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Bru and to Lady!! Very satisfying accomplishments, even if steps toward something greater.
Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a piece published today on Tor.com! Yay me!

Now I get to invoice them for it and someday get paid!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 36 of 39

Jump to: