StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

A New Form of Politcal Protesting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:01 pm   Post subject: A New Form of Politcal Protesting Reply with quote

Exclamation OK kids. A friend of mine has put together an entirely new way to stage a political protest. A uniquly American form of protest. His site is http://www.shadowprotest.org.I'll wait while you read it...

Rolling Eyes

Very Happy Your back! At this point you may be thinking that this is some sort of joke. Right? Truth is folks that this is not a joke. Shocked I know the founder of this movement, David Lynn. This is exactly the type of thing he enjoys. I am sure he will be signing up to be a volunteer for the NY convention and being a "Phantom Volunteer". What do you all think of this? We have not had a good heated political debate here for quite some time and I thought we were long overdue. Twisted Evil

Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

*shrug* Your buddy is a whiney peon. He can't take the two parties head on, so he's trying to undermine them by convincing other people to lie.

Nice job, amigo. We don't like our politicians because they lie, and now you want us to be hypocrits? Bravo.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a mildly interesting idea, but I'd rate its chances of having any real impact as so small that they aren't worth mentioning.

If you don't like the two party system, support a new party. It has happened before. Maybe not since shortly before the Civil War, but still...
Caray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 243

Caray is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Caray's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That long ? On the other hand, it's handy to have only two parties. You don't bother with extreme right, extreme left, not extreme right, not extreme left, middle of the road leaning on the right, middle of the road leaning on the left... Should make for very easy voting, only two parties instead of 16 or 20...

Oh. Right. Chads.

*dive in shelter*

Very Happy
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
*shrug* Your buddy is a whiney peon. He can't take the two parties head on, so he's trying to undermine them by convincing other people to lie.

Nice job, amigo. We don't like our politicians because they lie, and now you want us to be hypocrits? Bravo.

A couple of points here Mr. C.

1. Not a friend. I said I know him not that he was a buddy of mine.
2. While I do not like him, I do respect his mind.
3. (and this is the important one here) I neither endorsed or denounced this idea. I merely commented on this being "A uniquly American form of protest." In case you are wondering, what I meant by that was that is is a way of protesting from your sofa.

Nice try Mr. C. but you are guily of replying without fully reading.

Hurr78 - It's not that I think there is any chance of this "protest" actually changing anything in the current government. I actually think that there are too many people who would cut out thier own spleen just to stand close to an elected polititian. I do think he raises an interesting point though about the fact that all of the delegates attending these political conventions come with the full expectation that EVERYTHING will be provided for them and that the citizens of the host city should just be greatful that they are willing to breathe the same air as us.

I actually had to go into town during the Republican National convention for a doctor visit for my wife. There were mounted police at the entrance to the parking garage for the hospital and they were having to force these bozos from taking all the parking in the hospital lot cause their convention was the "most important thing in the universe" as far as they were concerned.

Caray - I would welcome more than 2 parties as at least there would be better definitions as to the parties philosophies. 16 - 20 might be a bit much but definitely more than 2.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

jk2silly wrote:
A couple of points here Mr. C.

1. Not a friend. I said I know him not that he was a buddy of mine.

In your first post you said:

jk2silly wrote:
OK kids. A friend of mine has put together an entirely new way to stage a political protest.

See that part where you said, "friend"? Learn to read your own posts, jackass.

jk2silly wrote:
2. While I do not like him, I do respect his mind.

You don't like your own friends? Wow... sucks to be you.

jk2silly wrote:
3. (and this is the important one here) I neither endorsed or denounced this idea. I merely commented on this being "A uniquly American form of protest." In case you are wondering, what I meant by that was that is is a way of protesting from your sofa.

Never said you endorsed or denounced his idea, so why are you addressing this comment to me?

The last sentence of my post was addressing your "friend", not you. I figured that'd be obvious since it's your friend who's ultimately presenting the idea while you're just looking for comment.

Yeah I know. Reading's hard.

Don't accuse me of not reading your post before I reply when I know it even better than you do.
SlowMo
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 29

SlowMo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SlowMo's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't agree with what your acquaintance says there.. I mean.. He says he's opposed to the two-party system and then goes on about boycotting the volunteer system.. Those things aren't related, really.

In a multi-party system there can still be volunteers.

And either way, opposing to a two party system is silly, it's not like other parties are dissalowed.

Basically, either pick a side, or say what's wrong with both sides (but only if you say what would be right).
Ensign

Member#: 5773

DavisViceIII is offline View user's profile Send private message DavisViceIII's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing up to volunteer and not showing up wont do a thing. They always have more volunteers than are needed and half the time the volunteers just stand and hand out flyers or stand at a table. They probably have volunteers who dont show up every year yet they still use the volunteer system.

It is a creative, yet unintelligent, way to protest. At least when you stand out front with signs people can hear that you are not happy with the system. The only way to make change is to voice your opinion not trying to make the parties pay an extra few bucks.
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude that was the dumbest thing I read. Smile His whole beef about people who are running for an office getting free labor from volunteers is bunk. It can be argued that public officials spend too much money and in that case are a slave to their big donors, such as large PACs like unions, corporations and other special interest groups. When people volunteer they are giving an unaccounted for donation to their party or person who shares their common beliefs and goals. Right now people are limited to a two thousand dollar donation, for those poor folk who cannot afford that, they usually take pride and feel like they are doing something for the greater good when they volunteer. To have them get paid is stupid. Volunteering is a way to get people who actually have so much passion for and idea that they sacrifice job hours, and free time for their ideas.

So what this dork wants to do is to basically screw with the system that we have without having a sound plan for a better one. He has a bone to pick because he got stuck in traffic, damn those conventions. And what is this about the political elite? I am sorry but America is stupid when it comes to politics and this man further proves that point. When half the country doesn’t vote then they shouldn’t complain. Wink I myself have the opportunity to get into any convention I whish Rolling Eyes . Granted there are some fundraisers, which are different, then conventions, usually have a 2000-dollar a plate charge. Maybe things are different for you in Boston or other bigger cities, but please get a better plan.

As for the parties discussion. Twisted Evil
First off we already have many different parties, but we need to keep our two major party system. And here are some reasons why. 1.) There are already two wings in the house Wink 2.) Enough shit doesn't get done as it is because the two parties can't agree, could you imagine dealing with more opposing ideas and platforms.... Shocked The role of the third party and other parties now are basically to influence the other parties, if a minor party gets major attention the Major parties can pick up/steal parts of their platform.

This is why I am slowly working on my own political party to possibly influence this world. It’s called the evolution party Wink. Maybe I'll post it here some day when its finished.
Caray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 243

Caray is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Caray's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Legolas wrote:

As for the parties discussion. Twisted Evil
First off we already have many different parties, but we need to keep our two major party system. 2.) Enough shit doesn't get done as it is because the two parties can't agree, could you imagine dealing with more opposing ideas and platforms....

You have as much infighting inside each party as we have between our parties. Would it be so wrong to give voters the right to choose what they really want instead of having to swallow the whole package and hope that those who represent their beliefs will come at the top of the infighting ?

PS : this is not goading, I am truly interested in the US view on this.
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caray~ I guess I don't understand your question? The voters do have a choice. Politicians are people too despite what many people think. As people they all have different Ideas on what is good for the country… The problem or what you see as "infighting" in our parties is because the voting public's lack of knowledge on how our government works. Politicians have had to come up with new terms such as conservative democrats, and liberal republicans, moderates and everything else you have heard. The reason why they can't just have their own group that may share their beliefs is because that would be a lot of groups and because most voters only vote for "R" or "D". Politicians have had to stay in the "major party" categories because it gives the best chance on getting into office. Voters need to look at politicians as individuals, if they don't feel they are being represented correctly then they need to vote for someone who represents them…

Another reason for such a variety of people and ideas is because of the massive size of the U.S. Look at France compared to here. France is the size of Texas… I am sure you can see social differences coming from different regions of France, America has far more diverse regions… Its crazy each politician is trying to represent those huge numbers of different people…

Here is the problem/challenge the U.S. and other countries face. Its not because usually only half the countries vote, its because mostly 10-15% of that half makes and educated vote. So long as they are doing okay, and their personal life is normal most people don't vote, or if they do they just vote for the person who is already in office.

This is why the country should just elect me as supreme ruler and then I can get everything to be perfect, well at least for me anyways Wink
mickeybumps97
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 4092

mickeybumps97 is offline View user's profile Send private message mickeybumps97's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I completely agree with Cocles' first reply. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: