StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What book are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
clarence
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 47281

clarence is offline View user's profile Send private message clarence's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:

The Storm Lord, by Tanith Lee. She's my favorite author, but this one is a snooze. It's a typical '70s fantasy, all made-up names and words, and portents and birthrights and purple prose. And don't get best automatic pet feeder on how she treats female characters. This wasn't her first novel, so maybe the sophomore slump concept is true.

Love that book!
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Vita Nostra by Marina and Sergey Dyachenko. I give up. I'm never going to be able to write something like this. I didn't know I wanted to. Maybe I don't, but just... dang.

And yet. It's the first book of a trilogy. Seriously, why can't there just be books? Why does everything have to be a series? I know, marketing, but yeesh, I hate series.
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Madame Bovary for a book club, and it is so boring I don't know if I will finish it. All these names, places, for something that seems to be a rather small story. It reminds me of Anna Karenina, and I didn't finish that despite two tries.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:

And yet. It's the first book of a trilogy. Seriously, why can't there just be books? Why does everything have to be a series? I know, marketing, but yeesh, I hate series.

Amen!

I find quite often I pick up a book that looks interesting, it says it is 2 of 3 (or 6 or 7) and I'll immediately put it back. If available I may pick up the book that is 1 of 3, but often it isn't there & I'll walk away & forget all about it, so they lose any sale at all.
Cadet 1

Member#: 49826

kerry2 is offline View user's profile Send private message kerry2's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Last book I have read is 1984, it force you to think about your life, also I read it in my property in Berlin here when all week there was raining, it was very atmospheric.

*Edit: commercial realty link removed. (-MJ)

Last edited by kerry2 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot this thread existed. Thanks for the reminder and welcome to the forums, kerry2!

I am reading War & Peace, because everyone was doing it back in March when quarantines started and I am stubborn about things that are popular. I began in May and am, according to my Kindle, 84% through it. I'm in one of the war sections now, and it is an awful slog.
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 31259

Bryophyte is offline View user's profile Send private message View Bryophyte's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Inque, I read War and Peace this year for my New Year's resolution, and it was indeed a painful slog at times haha. I also feel he did not stick the landing.

Very happy to be reading Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie novels. I had forgotten what a good writer she is.
Lieutenant

Member#: 46975

607 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View 607's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

kerry2 wrote:
Last book I have read is 1984, it force you to think about your life, also I read it in my property in Berlin here when all week there was raining, it was very atmospheric.

That's interesting, I also read Ninety Eighty-Four during the beginning of the crisis. Smile I have since also read The Rosie Effect (I'd read The Rosie Project before), I would recommend the series even to people not interested in autism, it is quite well written and all characters are realistic and not 1-dimensional. And A Christmas Carol, which I wasn't impressed much with. It is good, but it is so well known that I had expected it to be some of Dicken's best work, but I enjoyed it least of all Dickens that I've read so far (the others being Oliver Twist, Great Expectations and David Copperfield).

*Edit to quoted section only: commercial realty link removed. (-MJ)
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryophyte wrote:
I also feel he did not stick the landing.

I finished this morning, and "did not stick the landing" is right on the button. Why did he end with philosophy, instead of with the real money, his characters? And why did the characters' stories just kinda drift to a close, rather than… I dunno. I finished, and now I feel like I'm in some sort of club. I also got a bunch of ARCs from my publisher, and two of them are novellas, so that will be a nice change of pace.
Netherlands 607
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

607 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View 607's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading Alleen op de wereld, known in English as Nobody's Boy and originally released in French as Sans Famille. It is great!! I'd read part of an English translation as an iBook years ago, but I didn't know how much. Turns out it was only a bit of it, it's actually a very long story. Razz It's exciting, though, and it keeps surprising. Smile There were some things I did not like so much, but overall it's really good. The translation I'm reading (by August Willemsen) is also very good.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a Gothic Romance mood, having just finished du Maurier's Rebecca and Silva Moreno-Garcia's Mexican Gothic. Next I think I will read Seton's Dragonwyck.

In non-Gothic news, I'm also reading The Brothers Cabal, which is maybe a little too clever for its own good.
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 50008

jesusm is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website jesusm's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:49 pm   Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hello, how are you all around here? Well, currently with this covid I have been reading for a long time and I have finished several topics, very good for now I am reading Elizabeth Kostov's historian which I found quite interesting if you have a good free time I recommend it worth reading
Ukraine Locutus76 VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5698

Locutus76 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Locutus76's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently started reading Star Trek novels (thanks Albi!) and I'm now reading Star Trek : Destiny , a 800+ page omnibus, that explores the origin of the Borg and the Federation's response to a full scale Borg invasion. Very nice so far, but only 250 pages into it yet...
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:44 am   Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

jesusm wrote:
Hello, how are you all around here? Well, currently with this covid I have been reading for a long time and I have finished several topics, very good for now I am reading Elizabeth Kostov's historian which I found quite interesting if you have a good free time I recommend it worth reading

Welcome to the boards! Sorry to hear you're sick!

I read The Historian a long time ago. I don't remember it very well, except that it was huge.

Finished Dragonwyck, BTW. Generally unpleasant. Don't recommend.
Netherlands 607
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:57 am   Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
jesusm wrote:

Welcome to the boards! Sorry to hear you're sick!

I read The Historian a long time ago. I don't remember it very well, except that it was huge.

I feel like that member is a bot, considering no requests and only one post on the forum. I'm not sure why a bot would want to draw attention to one specific author, though. Razz Sorry if you aren't a bot, jesusm. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 53 of 54

Jump to: