StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

"Friday The 13th" tracks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic 

What should we do?
Remove the album completely
32%
 32%  [ 15 ]
Remove tracks from the album
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
Leave it as it is
36%
 36%  [ 17 ]
Other (you can specify in your post)
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 46

Ukraine Locutus76 VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5698

Locutus76 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Locutus76's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

607 wrote:
There is a person behind Resist. To add to what dan mentioned: if I recall correctly, he has even participated in chat. On Halloween of 2019 he requested a bunch of non-Halloween related tracks too, probably as a joke.
However, it is well possible that he has set up a bot to request for him, as the requests are so consistent whenever he is online.

If there is a person behind the name, he/she must be a pretty nasty person, since almost all he/she requests is F13 and by now it should be pretty clear almost everyone on SST hates that album, yet he/she doesn't care.

If you like the album so much, why not just buy it and play it all day long on your own computer instead of annoying the heck of of dozens, if not hundreds of listeners for years on end... That's just cruel and mean. For this reason only I think either the rules should be amended with a Resist-clause or the album pulled because of mis-use of the abilitity to request (namely to annoy everyone), or just because everone is fed up with it.

Anyway... back to everyday life!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 14592

Grenadier is offline View user's profile Send private message View Grenadier's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:02 pm   Post subject: Idea Reply with quote

A proposal:

Why not add a new rule that says that if you were the requester the last 'n' times a track was played, you cannot request it again until someone else requests it? That would mean someone else would have to like something for it to get more airplay. If anyone else requests the track, it breaks the chain, and you could then request it again up to 'n' times in a row.

Attempting to request a track you have overplayed would display an appropriate message such as, "You've played this track an awful lot lately. Please pick something else."

I'm thinking 'n' would be something like 3-5. So for this case, one person who has requested every track on this album 100 times in a row would cut him off from it until someone else cared to listen to it.

You could add a safety timeout that resets the chain on a given track if no one has played it in some length of time, like 6-12 months, but that seems unnecessary. If a given album (any album, not just F13) has only one person requesting it, then it likely deserves to not be played.

Oh, if SAM happens to pick the track, that does NOT reset the chain.
Germany danleich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 37055

danleich is offline View user's profile Send private message View danleich's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually sounds like a good idea to me gren Smile We should consider the limit well I think, as it can also hinder the effort to rate albums, and I know that unremarkable albums can get played quite often (>10times) before they get rated Very Happy And mostly it is the same person to undergo the effort to put them into the queue again and again Very Happy my personal lower limit would be 5, but maybe even going higher up. Or maybe if the requests get "forgotten" after half a year or so, in the sense, that the count is not being reset to zero, but rather decreased slowly. It would still mean, that you are only able request the same song a certain amount of time per year.

On the other hand, I don't know if it is technically possible to implement such a system for our huge databes, as you probably would need a separate counter per user per song. and with 50k registered users and 150k songs that is a LOT of counters Very Happy namely 7.5 billion Very Happy But I really like the idea.
Or maybe it is possible to do counters per album instead of per song, that would decrease the amount by a factor of 20, but that is still 375 million counters Very Happy well, just tossing around stuff here Wink
USA Grenadier
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Grenadier is offline View user's profile Send private message View Grenadier's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

No counters needed at all, just the history of the track. I am assuming those are logged. Query for the last 5 times a track was played, and check to see if they are all the current user. If they are, it triggers the limit. Add a date limiter to that query if you want to say 5 times in a row, all in the last x months.
UK Dragonel VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:05 am   Post subject: Re: Idea Reply with quote

Grenadier wrote:
A proposal:

Why not add a new rule that says that if you were the requester the last 'n' times a track was played, you cannot request it again until someone else requests it?

I appreciate the idea, but I don't think it would work. I can see at least two easy ways to circumvent this - solicit someone in chat to request it for me (which I suspect would work even for queue-bombs like Dewy) or just create a second user and request it under that name occasionally.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sure, there are always ways to circumvent. But for normal people who are not out to make fraudulent accounts, this would work. And no one is going to help out on something like F13 or any of the other queue bomb tracks.
Netherlands 607
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 46975

607 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View 607's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:57 am   Post subject: Re: Idea Reply with quote

Grenadier wrote:
A proposal:

Why not add a new rule that says that if you were the requester the last 'n' times a track was played, you cannot request it again until someone else requests it? That would mean someone else would have to like something for it to get more airplay. If anyone else requests the track, it breaks the chain, and you could then request it again up to 'n' times in a row.

Attempting to request a track you have overplayed would display an appropriate message such as, "You've played this track an awful lot lately. Please pick something else."

I'm thinking 'n' would be something like 3-5. So for this case, one person who has requested every track on this album 100 times in a row would cut him off from it until someone else cared to listen to it.

You could add a safety timeout that resets the chain on a given track if no one has played it in some length of time, like 6-12 months, but that seems unnecessary. If a given album (any album, not just F13) has only one person requesting it, then it likely deserves to not be played.

Oh, if SAM happens to pick the track, that does NOT reset the chain.

Here are some reasons why I dislike this idea:
With almost 150 thousand songs on the site, there will surely be some that are liked a lot by exactly one active person. Among my top 62 favourites, there are 12 tracks that are in nobody else's favourites.
You can ask others to request for you when it needs to be done, but this can be a hassle, and some would feel embarrassed to do so, and have to wait until someone picks it at random for them, which might not happen until it gets to their longest unplayed favourites, which can easily take several months.
Some tracks are requested by a certain person as soon as they are available. This would become impossible; every n cycles, you'd have to deliberately let someone else get it, which would be especially annoying because of the top 10 requested list.
Lesser known tracks and albums would get even less playtime than they already do with this in place, which would actually be bad for variety.
Canada elmer856
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 27818

elmer856 is offline View user's profile Send private message View elmer856's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All,

I noticed Resist has a DeathFM account. Has anyone tried to reach him there?

I'm the last guy to know anything about bots or whatever. I believe Pizzerus made the reference to a kid pressing all the buttons on a elevator and that's what it seems like to me. If it is a prank, it's meant to get a rise out of SST and here we are... I've been on the receiving end of worse than having to turn down the volume when F13 comes on.
Sure, the soundtrack is not liked by all, but at the same time it's still soundtrack music. Star Wars is played throughout the day as well, not sure the stats, but it is played a lot.
Friday the 13th is not my cup of tea, so I'll turn down the volume and wait for the next track. I do that with other tracks too.
Anyway, that's my two cents, for what it's worth. Very Happy
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input guys!
As a result of this discussion and a discussion among SST Crew members an important change in availability of Manfredini’s Friday the 13th album has just happened.

At the moment the album is still in the library (and it stays there) but it’s no longer available to queue on regular basis. There were special rules implemented for this particular score.

You can read about these rules here: http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10212

Kudos to our Admin - Krazyormus - for creating the code to bring this new rule to life!

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Poland martino VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

aw

Member#: 24057

martino is offline View user's profile Send private message View martino's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So, next listening on Friday August 13, 2021. It's a bit weird reading "requestable again : 299 days 8 hours 10 minutes".

I hope the other unpopular albums are not in danger.
USA Grenadier
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

martino wrote:

I think there's a big difference between something that is unpopular, and something that is being used to methodically troll the users of the site. I can think of other tracks and albums people don't like, but no one is running one track from those albums per hour, every hour, for years on end.
Netherlands 607
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 46975

607 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View 607's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Grenadier wrote:
martino wrote:

I think there's a big difference between something that is unpopular, and something that is being used to methodically troll the users of the site. I can think of other tracks and albums people don't like, but no one is running one track from those albums per hour, every hour, for years on end.

That's what I think too!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: