StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

SST Plague Orchestra? (Taking suggestions for a name)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Heck yes! I want this mess! (But not to participate.)
Heck yes! I want to be part of this mess!
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
This is dumb and you should feel bad!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I want to see where this goes, and hope people will comment in this thread.
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
I don't care either way, and I'm not even sure why I'm voting in this poll in the first place.
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

Italy Xalira
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 25119

Xalira is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Xalira's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! Most people will probably have taken part to a project like this by now, you just need a smartphone/webcam and it's always nice to see people perform. If someone doesn't feel like it they can of course just submit audio, or not be seen in the frame...

(got the PM, will reply soon)
USA Gert
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2563

Gert is offline View user's profile Send private message View Gert's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

607 wrote:
So we only need to record audio? That's going to make it easier on some of us, I'm sure (definitely on me), but the result is also going to be a lot less personal, I think! You can't really hear that the music is played by all of us. Have you considered the possibility of including video?

Xalira wrote:
I agree! Most people will probably have taken part to a project like this by now, you just need a smartphone/webcam and it's always nice to see people perform. If someone doesn't feel like it they can of course just submit audio, or not be seen in the frame...

It was briefly discussed among the Plague Orchestra Brain Trust (Elmer, SIN, and I: Elmer came up with the name Smile), but not enough to where a clear consensus was reached.

Audio alone would be the least complicated, but I seem to recall that it was suggested that we could get some video done through Zoom? I suspect some (including me!) would rather not be on camera. The "not in frame" idea is interesting though.

Other thoughts?
Austria Pez5069 VIP (subscribed member)
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 49361

Pez5069 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Pez5069's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather prefer to take a photo (it would make me more nervous than I am anyway) Wink and maybe make kind of a collage out of it.
Netherlands 607
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 46975

607 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View 607's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If not everyone is up for recording video footage, let's record none, I'd say... I wouldn't want to take the spotlight away from Pez and others. Wink
Canada SIN55
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 21816

SIN55 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View SIN55's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My bass part is already recorded and inserted in the mix Wink

I don't know if I'd want to do video but I don't mind, as long as you agree that it won't be the same performance as I have already recorded. I would fake it, so to speak Razz
USA Gert
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

607 wrote:
If not everyone is up for recording video footage, let's record none, I'd say... I wouldn't want to take the spotlight away from Pez and others. Wink

I almost said in my previous post that it seemed like an all or nothing thing, but that isn't to say that some people couldn't record video and others just submit a separate still image.

Pez5069 wrote:
I would rather prefer to take a photo (it would make me more nervous than I am anyway) Wink and maybe make kind of a collage out of it.

If the concern is that the nerves of being on camera might impact a performance, but you still like the idea of a "live" visual, perhaps the finished track could be synced up with video where you pretend to play. Like a Milli Vanilli thing. Smile

This is highly experimental, so it'll be interesting to see what sticks.

SIN55 wrote:
My bass part is already recorded and inserted in the mix Wink

Overachiever Laughing
Austria Pez5069 VIP (subscribed member)
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 49361

Pez5069 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Pez5069's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to say thank you to Elmer for his great work Very Happy and to SIN for the mixing part and of course to Gert for the outstanding idea Exclamation
Very Happy
Italy Xalira
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 25119

Xalira is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Xalira's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Gert wrote:

If the concern is that the nerves of being on camera might impact a performance, but you still like the idea of a "live" visual, perhaps the finished track could be synced up with video where you pretend to play. Like a Milli Vanilli thing. Smile

Oh yes absolutely, that's what most people are doing anyway! If someone is not comfortable with video, maybe every participant can choose and send a still image to represent them? It's just that these projects work best on YouTube so you need a kind of a visual element, however simple. Even just our avatars, to show how many people are involved Smile
Netherlands 607
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

607 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View 607's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Xalira wrote:

Oh yes absolutely, that's what most people are doing anyway! If someone is not comfortable with video, maybe every participant can choose and send a still image to represent them? It's just that these projects work best on YouTube so you need a kind of a visual element, however simple. Even just our avatars, to show how many people are involved Smile

Sounds like a good idea to me!
Recording video does complicate the procedure quite a bit for me, though, so if we're not going all-in, I will also do with a still picture. Wink Maybe I could cheat by using a photograph of me at an acoustic piano, even though I will record from a digital piano for better audio quality. Laughing
USA Finnster VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 29607

Finnster is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Finnster's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a video for one of my band's songs a while back and I used still photos as a sort of moving picture. What's funny is that when the guitar solo happens, the pictures rotate to our guitarist. Didn't time it that way, it just happened.

So .. why not use a carousel of still pics?
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Xalira- sounds like you and I were always on the same page about this, even if I'd rather not contribute video. Smile YouTube's mostly where I got the idea in the first place! Could be cool to figure out how to put moving equalizer bars over static avatar pictures or make the images pulse (zoom in and out) with the notes played? I'm not sure what software could do that.

Though I am very seriously considering finding/making a puppet for a faux live video. This week IS Spring break...

607- Maybe pull out and iron your Starfleet uniform for the occasion? Laughing Ham it up!

Finn- the carousel idea is interesting. Could be an option.
Netherlands 607
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be nice if you can see who's playing, at least (I haven't looked at all parts, but my part for instance has a lot of empty bars before I start playing). Smile I'm not a fan of the carrousel thing myself for this instance, as we don't have too many interesting pictures. I like Gert's equalizer bar idea, but I doubt there will be a free program that lets you generate such footage with a transparent background. Although if you have one with a background in a solid colour, you could make it transparent...
I do have an old version of VEGAS Pro and wouldn't mind editing things. Smile I'm not an expert at it, though.
Netherlands 607
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pf, I thought I got the piece down, but I forgot that it's harder to play while recording. Razz (at least it seems to work that way for me...)
I had 3 good takes at first, but I found something that I disliked in my way of playing, and I decided to redo it. I've now got 2. Is that enough? Otherwise I can record more later., probably Smile
If they're not good enough, please let me know, too... although in that case, I might not be up to the task. Consistency in performance is not one of my strong suits. But I could practise more and see if that helps. Smile
Canada SIN55
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 21816

SIN55 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View SIN55's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

607 wrote:
Pf, I thought I got the piece down, but I forgot that it's harder to play while recording. Razz (at least it seems to work that way for me...)
I had 3 good takes at first, but I found something that I disliked in my way of playing, and I decided to redo it. I've now got 2. Is that enough? Otherwise I can record more later., probably Smile
If they're not good enough, please let me know, too... although in that case, I might not be up to the task. Consistency in performance is not one of my strong suits. But I could practise more and see if that helps. Smile

Hi 607, thanks for uploading your tracks! I think they both sound great and sit just fine in the mix. Wink
Cheers!
Netherlands 607
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SIN55 wrote:

Hi 607, thanks for uploading your tracks! I think they both sound great and sit just fine in the mix. Wink
Cheers!

That's very good to hear, thanks!
I forgot to say: I have a bit of reverb by default on the digital piano, because acoustic pianos also have reverb, created by the soundboard. I read in the instructions that the recordings should not have effects, though, so I turned it off for this recording! You might want to add some back. Smile (subtly! It needn't sound like a church hall Razz (unless that's what you're going for, of course Wink))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: