StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Please stop calling SSTers bots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Bruiser VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 3050

Bruiser is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Bruiser's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:44 pm   Post subject: Please stop calling SSTers bots Reply with quote

I'd like to address this whole "Resist_all is a bot" thing that's been going on in the chat.

First, SST is based on requests. For those who whinge because Resist always picks one album, guess what? Since Cal tweaked the SAM algorithm to choose from what people tend to choose, I've noted a LOT of repetition. I see it in your queues. You do the exact. same. thing, so why are you making fun of someone else for doing it?

Second, we don't always like what people request. That's what the mute button is for. I don't always like what you request. Disney queues are an automatic mute for me. I just mute it and get on with my day.

Third, if Resist is a member who made a bot to pick what they like during hours they're online, THERE IS STILL A PERSON BEHIND IT. You're openly making fun of another SST member where everyone, including that person, can see it. Before you comment on this point, try to think about how it's perceived by other chatters, visitors, etc. This is a public chat--while you must be logged in to participate, other people can see it.

This joking around has been excused as casual teasing, but it's not--it smacks of bullying, especially since the person in question rarely makes any chat appearances. I have seen them do so; they have said hi to me directly, so I must assume this member IS a person.

Resist may not care, but I do, because it makes our chat seem like some 4chan forum or something. We do have younger members, which is why we keep it curse-free, etc. It's about the tone you're setting.

Let's all please agree not to do this crap here, thank you.
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

hear hear! Teasing is all well and good and an important part of our chat. but it has to be done while the user is online AND active in the chat. Otherwise you are just taking shots at people.
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put, bru and jk2silly. But may I say, sometimes teasing of someone who is in the chat can go too far. I think it's easy to forget that we're all real people, because we don't have to look at each other's faces.
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 12158

starstudios is offline View user's profile Send private message View starstudios's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

"if Resist is a member who made a bot to pick what they like" -- is this the case? Does anyone know? Does Resist have a position on all this?

You sound awfully virtuous coming out against something we all despise, bullying. But it is perfectly valid to question whether someone has created a program to disrupt and rig the queue on what is often a 24 hour basis playing random slasher tracks from the many Friday the 13th films.

Furthermore, members who pay to listen and contribute to a diverse array of music on SST are also perfectly free to voice an opinion or raise a concern when it comes to the integrity of the request stream. So let's be careful to 'resist' stifling the free and respectful speech of others.

Happy listening...
Oglala Istagi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a monster, and dislike being described as such.

SST is a community, and a community is based on participation. Is resist_all a bot? to be honest I am not sure. Part of me thinks if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck...

Resist all likes Friday the 13th, and I am ok with that but I want to be sure that there is a human behind the requests.

As I said in the chat if Resist shows up in chat or in this thread and says, Hey guys I am human that would be great. If he/she came in and said I dislike you all claiming I am a bot. I would apologize profusely and never ever bring it up again.

As a side note, I really despise people who "talk or speak for me" I have spent a lifetime with my damn family talking about me and what I think when not a damn one of them would stop and ask. this may be the heart of why my hairs are up about this, and why I steadfastly believe that Resist can speak up one way or another.
Lieutenant

aw

Bruiser is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Bruiser's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I'll address starstudios.

The requests are no more disruptive than the endless repetition of Disney songs, Goonies, et al. Which is fine; we all pick what we like, bot or not. The automatic queue has also not been very diverse since Cal reprogrammed SAM, so I'm not sure what your point is. In fact, at this very moment, I'm listening to a track I have heard waaaaaay too many times because it keeps getting picked incessantly both by users and by SAM. I happen to like it, or I would just mute it without comment.

Also, your freedom of speech thing (in the US, at least, where this site is based) only applies to government suppression of speech. In a chat room or forum, you can absolutely be told not to use certain language or be asked to not make fun of other members. Throwing this out is a huge eye-roller, because it seems that you don't really understand what freedom of speech is.

I don't know if Resist is a bot or not, and I don't care -- that was not my point. I stated my point in my original post and I assume you can read.

Now Istagi--

I did not call you a monster, and please do not muddle this into an ad hominem attack, because it was not. I was calling out behavior that I felt was reflective of picking on people--whether or not you or anyone else meant it that way, that's how it's coming off. Especially if you're trying to provoke them into a reaction.

As for speaking up for someone, Resist seems to be in Mexico. Though I have no clue about their command of English, this is an English-speaking chat room, and we've had other international chatters who have trouble communicating here. Maybe that's the case with them. I suppose Resist said hi to me a couple of times because I've made requests for them.

We also have a lot of lurkers who never come into chat. Maybe they don't like to chat--or maybe they see junk like this and don't want to. You can't delete your account here even if you leave so how many folks could this be driving away?

Besides, where would be be if we all just stood around and said nothing when other folks are teasing someone who won't or can't stand up for themselves? Would you want to come into a chat where everyone was making fun of you?

Like I said, maybe they don't care, but it comes off as mean-spirited, particularly when others pick the same music over and over and don't get called out on it.

Both of you:

None of the mods or admins are doing anything about it-if you're that concerned, why don't you guys contact them directly with your concerns instead of endlessly and tiresomely bitching about it in the chat room?

Maybe instead of waiting for someone to defend themselves, we need to assume that they don't like being endlessly teased and just not do it in the first place. It's easy for teasing to tip over into picking on someone.

That's the tone I'm starting to see from this activity. I'm asking you to consider that it's making chat seem like an unpleasant place to hang out. I can remember when I found SST in 2003 and I was actually scared to come in here at first. Since we had a changeover, it's a lot better than it used to be. I don't want to go back to that.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9583

dalandis is offline View user's profile Send private message View dalandis's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with star studios and istagl on this one. I have been a listener for a LONG time (and have commented on resist_all threads like this one before). The patterns seen sure LOOK like bot behavior, except on the some days when resist_all actually requests tracks with some diversity. So I do think resist-all is not 100% bot, but I think a bot is running to make sure Friday the 13th is played all the time.

I remember some ideas on other threads about seeing if some silent 1 second tracks could be added to F13. A human would not want to waste a request on a 1 second song. Seeing if those tracks get played over and over again might illuminate things I think. (don't know if this is possible or not, but it sounded like a good plan to me)

To suggest that the creation of a bot is acceptable is not okay though. Imagine if ALL of use could use a auto-request feature like that? What happens when composers you want to hear can't be requested because they are already in the queue ALL THE TIME AUTOMATICALLY.

The COMMUNITY is what makes SST great. The ability to create bots or playlists belongs to personal devices – not here.

Resist_All... if you DID make a bot, please DM me and show me how to make one myself. Because I love me some HEARTBEEPS every day at regular intervals, but I can't hear it very often because other people spam the queue with tracks from Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jaws, Close Encounters... and who the heck wants to listen to those? :\

And I am NOT a bully. If Resist_All has the dedication to hand-request F13 each time I have heard it, then I salute their amazing fortitude. It is truly an achievement of unbelievable proportions!
USA Bruiser VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

dalandis, I never said making a bot was okay.

But I'm sick and effing tired of hearing about it in chat. Resist has a right to choose whatever they want, just as we all do. We've argued before about policing requests and it seems as though the site doesn't want to do that. But if you're concerned about bots, contact Cal, Sirius, or Jeric.

Meanwhile, I'm just going to step away from these conversations from now on--they don't make me feel great about being in chat. Or perhaps I'll just start picking my favorite long-ass ambient tracks as often as I can! Razz
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will get the mods to perform some action on this.

If Resist_all is a bot or is running a bot, I would consider that if not a violation a serious bending of the rules. Requests especially for non VIP members are precious and someone running an automated request bot of any kind should be removed immediately.

consider also that in recent months I have seen at least one person flee this site due to the requests. I cannot prove it and should have taken a screen shot. How many others have been chased off?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some people who just have an album bookmarked in their browsers and is requesting from it... thoroughly.

We also have restrictions in place that makes botting much harder.
Germany DieTeeFee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 36042

DieTeeFee is offline View user's profile Send private message View DieTeeFee's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i am so tired of this discussion... if the F13 music bothers you so much, why is pressing the mute button once every 2 hours so hard?
Finland GalFin
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a case of OCD or something like it... I could also question why certain members are almost every chance they get requesting John Powell's How to Train Your Dragon or its sequel... It gets tiresome, frankly, and John Powell has composed so much great music. But, well, it's their preference so...

I'm just saying that Resist_All's behavior is not that different from many other people's requesting behavior if you look at it more closely. Let's be tolerant and try to be polite and also request widely and freely!
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Was searching for something in forums and this came up. Resist All and a couple of others were vetted back in like 2006 or 2007 to be sure they were not bots. Bru is right - joking is one thing. If there are real concerns, send it to a Mod. They have the avenues to address it.

EDIT: I only commented bc this came up in chat again recently
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: