StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Not Happy with the general mood of tracks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
crazyray
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 43425

crazyray is offline View user's profile Send private message crazyray's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:38 am   Post subject: Not Happy with the general mood of tracks Reply with quote

Hi folks,

im here for a few years now and i was always very happy withe the music playing. But since one and a half year or so (not realy sure), im really disappointed with the general track selection.

Im not realy sure how to phrase or explain it, but the general mood of tracks changed significantly.
Now its mostly strange music playing or tracks with a distorting, nerving mood or shrill tracks. And i usually end up so annoyed after 3 consecutive tracks bashing my ears or my mood that i just turn of sst.

In the past theese kind of tracks played as well and then they were welcome. Because they were rarely played but from you were still able to listen to them.

In the past the mood of tracks was mostly positiv or neutral or melancholic. Nowadays its generally negativ, distorting, shrill.

Maybe im the only only one with that impression, but i had at least to express it, because i feel like i lost my main source of music, which helped me through the day.

With regards
Netherlands 607
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 46975

607 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View 607's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I'm sorry to hear this! Has this been the case only when music was requested by System/Admin, only when it was requested by fellow members, or both?
crazyray
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 43425

crazyray is offline View user's profile Send private message crazyray's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, im from germany and i simply start listening with Winamp. So i have no clue who requested or who is responsible for whats currently playing.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your opinion crazyray.
I guess what you see might be a result of shrinking number of active SST members who request music. We get more random requests by SAM (the machine behind the queue) instead.

I’ll ask Admins if we can tweak SAM a bit to make it pick a bit better choice of music for us.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Netherlands 607
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

607 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View 607's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
Thank you for your opinion crazyray.
I guess what you see might be a result of shrinking number of active SST members who request music. We get more random requests by SAM (the machine behind the queue) instead.

I’ll ask Admins if we can tweak SAM a bit to make it pick a bit better choice of music for us.

I'm not sure how this could be done, to be honest, besides picking more specifically from people's favourites list, which I don't really appreciate, because I like to be able to request those myself. Razz
Ukraine Locutus76 VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5698

Locutus76 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Locutus76's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks crazyray. I think it's always good to express your feelings.

On this matter however I can only say that people's moods and tastes change over the years, as do soundtracks and scores in general. New additions to the database inherently alter the general mood of the music.

The queue mostly consists of requests by active (paying) SST members, so that's not something than can, nor should, be changed. Everybody's a winner, as I believe one of the older SST ads so nicely states. You can pick anything from A-Team to Zathora (another ad)

As for SAM's picks, I believe there is a rather clever system of balancing picks in place already. If there even is some tweaking possible, I'm not sure we should do that, since all music here deserves to be played (F13 discussion aside).

To be honest: stating that 'now it's mostly strange music playing or tracks with a distorting, nerving mood or shrill tracks' feels like a pretty big exaggeration to me. The majority of the music is still quite mainstream stuff (although that might be an exaggeration on my behalf) Smile
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus76 wrote:

The queue mostly consists of requests by active (paying) SST members

Is it possible that this is not the case when crazyray listens? When do you listen, crazyray?
I have sometimes experienced SAM only queues on weekends, although often Pez or martino will be active during the times I listen.
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Locutus76 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Locutus76's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it possible that this is not the case when crazyray listens? When do you listen, crazyray?
I have sometimes experienced SAM only queues on weekends, although often Pez or martino will be active during the times I listen.

Maybe. But if it's SAM playing, it's still a very balanced system of picking tracks, based on multiple factors. There is an argument to be made to have SAM pick more popular tracks based on the number of times a track is requested, say a minimum of 20 times or so. That might keep out the stuff that SST users like.... less. Could be worth considering.[/quote]
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also a couple of cases where one or two albums get picked a lot for a few days or weeks.

First, if a new album particularly a recent upload catches peoples attention, it will be played consistently until they've all had their fill. Even where it is nearly a year since the last update, there is still a lot of requests for certain albums as new people discover we now have it.

Second, the RAT hunts. An album that has not been RATed yet may be played fairly consistently throughout the day to get people to listen to enough of it to feel comfortable rating the album. For some people, this is a fun game but can mean certain albums are played a lot over several days

And if either of these are albums that "stick out" (for example, the War of the Worlds album definitely does) it can feel like that is constantly being played so affecting the overall "feel" of the station.
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus76 wrote:

Maybe. But if it's SAM playing, it's still a very balanced system of picking tracks, based on multiple factors. There is an argument to be made to have SAM pick more popular tracks based on the number of times a track is requested, say a minimum of 20 times or so. That might keep out the stuff that SST users like.... less. Could be worth considering.

That sounds like a good idea, but it would have the downside of more often 'stealing' people's favourites. It happened to me once that I was about to request one of my favourites, but SAM beat me to it. Kind of annoying, especially if it's in your top 10 most played. Razz Of course it's also annoying if SAM requests your favourites while you're not listening.
But the downside might be worth it. I think 10 might be enough, though.
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

607 wrote:

That sounds like a good idea, but it would have the downside of more often 'stealing' people's favourites. It happened to me once that I was about to request one of my favourites, but SAM beat me to it. Kind of annoying, especially if it's in your top 10 most played. Razz Of course it's also annoying if SAM requests your favourites while you're not listening.
But the downside might be worth it. I think 10 might be enough, though.

With dozens of users with fav lists and almost 150,000 tracks to choose from, it's not very likely SAM would pick all your favourites.
Also, your favs might also be someone else's favs and therefore get request anyway. I have that with several of my favourite Star Trek tracks. They're almost never available. That's the very thought behind SST Smile "Share with other listeners" etc
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get what's going on, I just listened to SAM for an hour and it was pretty varied and certainly did not consist mostly of distressing tracks. :/ Which is great, of course. xD
happywheelssaz
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 51437

happywheelssaz is offline View user's profile Send private message happywheelssaz's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am grateful that you shared this knowledge with me. I truly enjoy the post that you made on your blog a lot. You have provided readers with a blog post that is both instructive and interesting.

Removed a spam link - molossus
stark78q
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 51504

stark78q is offline View user's profile Send private message stark78q's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened to me once that I was about to request one of my favourites, but SAM beat me to it. Kind of annoying, especially if it's in your top 10 most played. Razz Of course it's also annoying if SAM requests your favourites while you're not listening.

Edited to remove spam links - MorG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: