StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Troy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5089

TrickSpine is offline View user's profile Send private message TrickSpine's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

that is all that and a bag of chips......(as some say, and i pretend to understand.) so....much....information....brain....crowded.
Jazzelyne
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 5682

Jazzelyne is offline View user's profile Send private message Jazzelyne's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx, Circle. Liked your review too.
Commander

Member#: 3796

PeteC is offline View user's profile Send private message View PeteC's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

While Horner's score will be the one you hear in theatres, originally, it was Yared's score that was planned for the film. Find out about what heppened and listen to samples of Yared's quality work here.

Thanks, Franz, for informing me.

http://www.gabrielyared.com/flashsite/index2.htm
good as good. Herein lies evil.
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5089

TrickSpine is offline View user's profile Send private message TrickSpine's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my God, that's so terrible! replaced by Horner???? what an insult! Evil or Very Mad and Horner wrote the new one in a month.....ai me, what is this world coming to? Crying or Very sad some how, i'm thinkin' money and popularity came into this.... i mean, Horner is the bigger name...... Mad cheap, very cheap.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop yakking like an outsider looking in who's learned everything they know about Hollywood from tabloid shows.

If they replaced Yared with someone else it's because they didn't like the way Yared's score worked with the film.

None of you ninnies have even seen this film yet, yet you're all whining as if Yared by definition will ALWAYS be better than Horner.

Give me a break. Maybe in the end Yared's score WILL turn out to be better. But none of you know that yet. So stop acting like you do.

(And yeah yeah, I know... Ephesians 4:32)
USA Techo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 5054

Techo is offline View user's profile Send private message View Techo's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

TrickSpine wrote:
oh my God, that's so terrible! replaced by Horner???? what an insult! Evil or Very Mad and Horner wrote the new one in a month.....ai me,

He wrote 2hours worth of it in 13 days to be exact. Shocked That's a lot of work for 2weeks.

news from:
http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/article.asp?ID=316&newsmonth=05/05/2004

I'm excited to hear what Mr. Horner has done. But so far I've read that soundtrack is getting mixed reviews Sad.
USA PeteC VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3796

PeteC is offline View user's profile Send private message View PeteC's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be very interesting to see how
the score supports the film. I hope that
we see more rejected scores come to market
in the future so that we can judge for our-
selves what works the best for the film.

I heard the Yared samples and rather than
sounding old-fashioned, I thought them
traditional and fitting for a subject-
matter of that kind. I am very interest-
ed in listening the Horner score now.

Techo - I dig that NYC skyline. That's the
way I like to remember it. Thanks for the
link. It sounds like were going to hear
more of a thematic rendering from Horner.
Let's see how it comes out. Post your
comments please!
good as good. Herein lies evil.
USA circleprovider
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 4984

circleprovider is offline View user's profile Send private message circleprovider's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I listened to Yared's work, and it was the music that was in the screening that I had seen. The music was very fitting, at least when it was played in the scenes it was meant for.

I can honestly say that it fit the film well. I also bought Horner's version today, I'll be catching the movie tonight, but so far, there is nothing special about the score presented by Horner. It's typical Horner. With the exception that he didn't recycle anything - {that I can pick out yet of course}. So I count my blessings for that.

My vote, not that it's worth much, is still for Yared's score. So although I will miss the experience of seeing this film for the first time tonight ... at least I got to see it for how the *artists* intended it ... before the business side took over. Smile

I'll be back tonight to see if I eat my words about Horner fitting with this film. Something tells me that I don't have to worry to much about that.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

circleprovider wrote:
... at least I got to see it for how the *artists* intended it ... before the business side took over. Smile

This is the the exact kind of idiotic trash that I'm getting sick of hearing from you doofus's.

How do YOU know it was business decision instead of an artistic decision? Couldn't it be an artistic decision you disagree with?

Speculate all you want, but the second you start acting like you know, you just look like some stupid member of the audience trying to impress people.
USA circleprovider
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

circleprovider is offline View user's profile Send private message circleprovider's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I was basing that statement on the article written by Gabriel Yared on his site. I meant that I got to see it with the score as he and the director had intended.

I'll be the first person to tell you that I *know* nothing.

And like I said, perhaps Horner will make a better fit for most. It's very possible. I'll know more tonight, and as I said before, I may be on here bowing down to the decision they have made. Whomever *they* might be.
USA Maeltne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 6602

Maeltne is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Maeltne's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was a 'business' decision, they said, "No we can't go with Gabe, not in an election year. We have to go with someone more patriotic."

Now let's see what kind of hornet's nest that stirs up... Rolling Eyes

Seriously, it stinks for him, but it was a clear case of the ol' "Pepsi Taste Test" results freakin' out the creative powers-that-be and Wolfie flipped! Out with Yared, In with everyone's favourite masses-friendly composer. He's a marketable, recognizable name - come on, you say Titanic, and everyone says, "Oh yeah, Molly Brown, sure I know that Love Boat!"
Even my 85-year-old grandmother can relate to this music, as it brilliantly underscores the 15 or so 'close-up, high-hat shots' of Brad Pitt's Arse between gratuitous bludgings of an extra.

I feel for Gabe, I really do, but I'm not going to Lebanon any time soon to give him pep talk. So, release it as another movie Bob-O.

Love Ya!
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, sjfreeberg's made two posts on this forum so far and I agree with both of them.

Most likely the decision to scrap the original score was based on a combination of both artistic and business decisions (as it should be).

Of course the artist is going to say "It had nothing to do with my beautiful precious baby! It was entirely a business decison!"

Personally, if it was my own film and I decided to do this, I would offer the film with both scores on the DVD... Probably guarranteeing every soundtrack nut on the planet would buy a copy. Wink
USA circleprovider
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I saw the movie. And perhaps I'm biased, but it seems there were some parts where the score was rushed. I don't think that this was Horner's fault, but there are noticible parts where the music and the dialogue compete for attention.

All in all I think that the movie suffered a bit from Horner's score. He did seem to tie in all pieces more thematically then Yared had, but some of the scenes could have used a little bit more power.

I don't know. Perhaps a mixture of the two would have been the best.

With that said, I take my opinion of this movie down a bit. I consider this a good film, not great, but good. I wouldn't recommend the full $9.00 just for the movie ticket for it though.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have just hired Brian Tyler to begin with. Laughing

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.

Last edited by JERIC on Sun May 16, 2004 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought Troy was worth seeing for two big battle scenes, Hector/Achilles fight, and seeing Peter O'Toole get some screen time as Priam.

I liked that the main characters, especially Hector and Achilles, were presented as not entirely good nor evil, which added some complexity and a postmodern tinge to the film.

As far as the score goes, I agree that it felt rushed during the 1st part of the film with light use of the danger motif during the beach storming, however, the score had moving and poignant vocals during the funeral scenes.

Could have been so much better if the dialogue had been sharpened and that anachronistic "Don't play with me" line was taken out. However, the performances and story carried me through the rest of an entertaining summer film.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: