StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Evolution of Howard Shore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Andres
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 331

Andres is offline View user's profile Send private message View Andres's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:33 pm   Post subject: The Evolution of Howard Shore Reply with quote

Although I'm not fully familiar with Howard Shore's previous work, what I have heard gives me the impression that his work for LOTR is a significant departure from what he was doing before.

Is this a reasonable impression or are there strong examples of similar strongly thematic material in some of his earlier work?

If my impression is correct, how would you account for the shift? Is it just what he's been asked for, and he always wanted to do something more "old fashioned", or did the LOTR project push him to grow in range and technique beyond where he'd imagined going before?

Has he talked about this in any interviews you know of?
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the matter of his LOTR music being a significant departure from his previous work, I completely agree. Although, having said that, he has also been a composer with a very wide range, so I'm not surprised that he would come up with such a bold sound for LOTR.

He has had a longstanding relationship with Canadian director David Cronenberg (like Shore, a Toronto boy). In fact, his opening titles from Dead Ringers is a personal favourite of mine. His music for Cronenberg's take on The Fly is also very appealing.

But at the same time, he has a tendency to score a lot of comedic films (not to mention that he wrote the theme song for the Conan O'Brien Show). Mrs. Doubtfire and High Fidelity spring to mind... and then he'll turn around and score disturbing suspence films like Silence of the Lambs and Seven.

Yet never before has he done something as bold and complex as his LOTR work... My suspicion is that this new development was partly driven by Peter Jackson's urgings, but when I think back over Shore's career, I don't think that he has ever done a film that calls for this type of score before. Even stuff like "The Fly" and "Seven," which called for a fairly bold sound, were characterized by sustained chord sequences without the sort of melodic complexity heard in LOTR.

At least, that's my initial thoughts on the topic...
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on another forum that Shore's Looking for Richard was his workshop for choral use that helped him compose LOTR, but from what I can recall from watching that film, the score was not particularly memorable.

Even Ed Wood and Silence of the Lambs, which I think are two of his better scores, do not show the complexity and intertwined themes you hear in LOTR, which reminds me of the Star Wars Trilogy in its scope.

Brief melodic lines in Nobody's Fool are quoted and more richly developed in Fellowship, but I hadn't really noticed until recently.

Shore was particularly inspired for LOTR!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: