StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

COCLES' NEWBIE FAQ - 2.0

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:25 am   Post subject: COCLES' NEWBIE FAQ - 2.0 Reply with quote

Howdy boys and ghouls! Once we've moved to the new server around May 1st, I'll be giving the happy fun newbie FAQ a much needed update.

So while I'm at it, if any of you nood-nicks have suggestions for questions that should be added, by all means post them here.
Denmark Nr2000
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 603

Nr2000 is offline View user's profile Send private message Nr2000's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles' Really Mean and Condescending FAQ for SST Newbies! wrote:
Q. How do I know I'm hearing MP3pro and not just MP3?
A: On your player, After the song title and <STREAMINGSOUNDTRACKS.COM> it'll say "- MP3PRO" if you're hearing the pro version of the signal.

You could add to your answer that they are hearing the mp3PRO signal if they get 44 kHz instead of 22 kHz, or something.

Q: Hey I've got a cool idea! Why don't you make the number of requests dynamic!?
Q: Now wait a minute, I've definitely seen the number of requests suddenly change. How does it do that if it's not dynamic?

These are probably not needed anymore.

Q: Come on you gotta have some other trick to listen?
A: Alright, ALRIGHT... you read this far I'll give you the trick Jeric likes to recommend. It's really difficult though, so stay with me.... Ready? Okay... Drag the link to the stream onto your Winamp player.

You could add some of the Winamp listening tips from the forum here or post a link.

Q: How do I change/upload my avatar?
A: Okay this is actually a good question. The trick is you have to access your profile through the forum (instead of via the front page). When you access your profile through the forum you'll find the "Avatar Control Panel" at the very bottom. Yeehaw.

You can do this at the front page now through "Your Profile" in the menu.

Tell people how they can check when a track was last played and when they can request it again.

An explanation of the Point System probably also have to be added to the FAQ at a later time.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shucks, Nr! You're just doing all the work for me! Wink

Yes, I'm already planning on definitely adding to check the 44 vs. 22 khz to see if you're getting the full signal.

Thanks for the detailed suggestions.
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a great place to pick up chicks and someday marry them?

How can I be the sst sexiest man or woman?

Can we have an sst party so that we can meet everyone?

Hey cocles I am going to be in L.A. we should hang out what do you think?
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Q: So what do I do?
A: Stop whining and keep trying. A spot will eventually open up. Try Ogg, it's as good as the 128 and usually has a space open. SlowMo and I have another trick, but it's our little EOTT secret.

- Ogg is now l365

Quote:
Q: What player should I use? I still can’t hear the streams!?
A: You’re probably one of those ding-dongs who downloaded Realplayer ONE or Winamp 3... aren't yeh? AREN'T YEH? EHH... hmm.. The Cocmeister approved player is Winamp 2. Why? Because Winamp 2 uses a lot less of your system’s resources and it also supports Ogg (a.k.a. IceCast2). You do however need to download either the standard or full version of the install (lite doesn't have ogg). Winamp2 also supports MP3pro, but you need to install a plugin found at:

- remove Ogg

Quote:
Q: What's MP3Pro, and what the hell is Ogg?
Alright, good question. MP3Pro is the newest sound format from the makers of MP3. It's backwards compatible with MP3, so if you play the stream on a player that can't read MP3Pro you'll just hear a normal MP3 signal. Ogg (aka "Ogg Vorbis") is an entirely different broadcasting format. When streamed it's called IceCastv2, just as MP3Pro/Mp3 when streamed is called ShoutCast. Both MP3Pro and Ogg have better sound quality than MP3 and require a much lower bitrate. Arguments go both ways over which one sounds better (some purists even believe normal MP3 still sounds better). The nerds probably want me to point out that Ogg is open source, unlike MP3, which is lisenced buy a couple guys in Germany. Personally I like Ogg, and so should you... cause I said so... and I rule.

- how about we tried Ogg but no-one wanted to listen to it

Quote:
Q: Why can't I request?
A: Cause you're a moron. Well maybe not. First, crack your neck and look up in the top left hand corner of the website. Does it say "Requests: Down"? ....Yes? Then congratulations 'cause you're not stupid, you're just blind.

- ... or request disabled. Because of <composer> day

Quote:
Q: What is Unearthed by E.S. Posthumus and where can I get it?
A: Ah yes! E.S. Posthumus. You have me to thank, children, for recommending this as an addition to the playlist. Although not officially a "soundtrack", Unearthed, by E.S. Posthumus, has been used in numerous movie trailers since its release in 2001. That (and the fact that it rules) grants it a space in our groovy playlist. The only place to buy is directly from the artist at esposthumus.com.

- ... same with middle earth

- Some additions?
= Why do they talk about Vigo/LotR that much
= Why is my flag white ?
= Why is Cal spamming about a l365 stream?

Last edited by Caliburn on Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, cocles, it would pretty hard to improve on perfection - the original newbie FAQ had me in stitches (and a little scared)

Ok, that's the crawling over - might this be a good place to add something about the points system? Looking forward to finding out a bit more about that Wink

Plus, I'd love a definitive guide to your profanities ... ding-nut, ding-dong, dungwad, nimrod, dingleberry!!! I love 'em!
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so many newbies get freaked out by you, Cocles... so you might want to include more information about yourself. On the other hand, you might want to heighten your impact by removing all information about yourself, except for the disturbing beach photoshop job.
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

whats a newbie?
spoiler warnings? whats that! 80
Pepsi or Coke?
Can PM's be blocked?
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also considing writing a list of the things newbies say that immediately makes them a doofus. Mostly because it's such an obvious question or been said a billion times before and they're acting like they're the first person to say it.

Any suggestions?
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

"So, how come my flag says I'm from USA (or is blank)? How can I change it?"

-> HELLO! Do you not know what FAQ stands for? Why don't you try browsing the site and reading more?

Anyways, I know there's a whole slew of them...Just today, there was a bunch of newbs complaining about the 1/2days/3days repeats policy!!! They were so choked that SST had the audacity to make them wait for still another day for a particular track to become available! *sarcasm coming*.........Come on SST, my little "Johnnie" wanted to hear Aladdin and has to wait until tomorrow before he can hear it! *end of sarcasm*
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I missed them? ...And I was hungry too.
Caray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 243

Caray is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Caray's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

missed them too, but I got the ones asking why there was so little choice compared to previous week and whining about it. Rolling Eyes
Lieutenant

Member#: 413

Altoid is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Altoid's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:56 am   Post subject: Lego, you read my mind Reply with quote

[quote="Legolas"]Is this a great place to pick up chicks and someday marry them?

How can I be the sst sexiest man or woman?

Can we have an sst party so that we can meet everyone?

Hey cocles I am going to be in L.A. we should hang out what do you think?[/quote]

Lego, you read my mind. LOL

Also, why do users on here use so many exclamation points?!?!?!?!
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Locking thread. Newbie FAQ Second Edition posted as sticky at top of forum.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: