StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Super Size Me! (And Michael Moore)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 

How many times per week do you eat fast food?
Never! I don't put that crap in my body!
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Once or twice per week
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Three or four times per week
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Daily or more
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Something different: I love people saying that they still gaining weight. Even when they don't eat much fast food. Helloooooo, exercise anyone? Sitting on your *ss behind a desk at work, couch at home, in the seat of your car wont help you loose weight.

Trust me, I know :D
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:

It is ENTIRELY due to the dressing. So buy a bottle of low fat whatever and stick in the botton drawer of your desk at work. (And Hurr, just so you know, I'm not necessarily addressing you for the remainder of this post. Smile)

Thanks Cocles! I appreciate the clarification. Smile

Cocles wrote:
If you want to help the world, stop making excuses for these these people and tell them to get off their butts and do something about their problems.

Um... that's exactly what I meant when I said:

Quote:
We probably just need to start educating people better about these things.

Cocles wrote:
Now we need to educate grown adults that eating fast food all the time isn't healthy for them?

Please. Not only do you guys need to stop making excuses for the lazy and stupid; you need to stop idiot proofing everything at the expense of those who don't need it.

What's wrong with providing information, Cocles? I realize that you know how to eat right and look after your physical fitness, but it certainly looks like a lot of people don't. That's part of the free nature of western societies... we all put information into the free information marketplace. You can listen to what you want and ignore what you want. But I can't see why you are so vehemently opposed to simply providing information about nutrition. Because people need the info if they are going to "get off their butts and do something about their problems," as you put it.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Hurr, I like how you couldn't defend "educating" them, so you switched it to, "provide information".

So which is it? "Educate" or "provide information"?

There is a difference; one is active and the other passive.

If you mean provide information then perhaps you're unaware of the droves of information already available to these people. Not to mention that "Fast food being bad for you" is common knowledge to the point of being cliche.

If you mean educated, then the fact that these adults need to actually be taught in a classroom that fast food is bad for them means they have a lot bigger problems that need to be dealt with first.

Come on Hurr. You can do better than that.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify what I mean... I was suggesting that perhaps the continued, directed provision of information (eg through ad campaigns) on healthy eating is a good idea. I was not, in fact, suggesting that we do anything radically beyond what is already done by the government and various advocacy groups.

I don't agree that "education" necessarily involves hauling adults into classrooms, hence we are having a little semantic dispute on that issue. In this case, the mere presentation of information to the public qualifies as a form of education. That's my view, anyhow.

And please note that I have never advocated, nor will I ever advocate anything like mandatory education programs for adults in a classroom setting. I would see that as too darn close to authoritarianism for my taste.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurr78 wrote:
...directed provision of information (eg through ad campaigns) on healthy eating is a good idea.

So our tax dollars go towards ads that tell people "Too much Fast Food is bad for you!"

Brilliant.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
Hurr78 wrote:
...directed provision of information (eg through ad campaigns) on healthy eating is a good idea.

So our tax dollars go towards ads that tell people "Too much Fast Food is bad for you!"

Brilliant.

Laughing Now that's a small bit of a much larger political debate. But on the other hand, it's not like this responsibility has to fall entirely into the government's lap. Corporations sometimes do stuff like this to enhance their public image.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

"Here at McDonald's we love our customers, and we love that you buy our food... but don't eat too much of it or you'll get really fat."

Brilliant.

Or I suppose they could have this guy at the end of all their ads say, "Always Eat Responibly."

I like that second one even better. Wink
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rotfl... See Cocles, you've come up with some good ad ideas already.

I especially like the always eat responsibly one. Well heck, it works for the booze companies. Smile
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

you two are getting in to what the tabacco companies have to do... they don't do it because they care they do it becuase the government makes them... All of those anti tabbaco ads are brought to you by the tabacco companies... No one should have to advertise against themselves, but it sort of works for the tabacco companies... They are not allowed to advertise smoking to kids, except if it is anti-smoking comercials. Which some times in my opinion are so lame that I can see kids wanting to smoke to not be like those lame comercials.... Smile

Evolution: THE WEAK AND STUPID MUST DIE OFF FOR THE GOOD OF THE SPECIES. And if that means people can't understand that too much greasy food is bad, or that breathing something that isn't oxygen will kill you then they need to die.
Pixie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Legolas wrote:

Evolution: THE WEAK AND STUPID MUST DIE OFF FOR THE GOOD OF THE SPECIES. And if that means people can't understand that too much greasy food is bad, or that breathing something that isn't oxygen will kill you then they need to die.

Darwinism at its finest Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Good call Lego!
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

leave it to leggy. good call M8:D
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Legolas wrote:

rotfl... Ah, nothing like a bit of Darwinian thought to spice things up.

The problem here, Lego, is that greasy food doesn't kill these people fast enough to prevent them from reproducing... instead, they manage to get it on enough times to produce fatty junior, who they then train from a young age to be just like them. Alas.
Pixie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution doesn't happen overnight. Wink
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixie wrote:
Evolution doesn't happen overnight. Wink

True enough. I must remember to have patience. Smile

Speaking of natural selection, you guys should definitely check out the photo joke that Tron just posted in the joke thread...

http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1731&start=45
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that even if more grocery stores are built in poorer areas, it won't necessarily help by itself since people might choose to buy more varieties of junk food instead of healthy stuff. This is where education can help change people's attitudes and buying decisions so they eat healthier.

I don't think I'm making excuses for people since they will need to be personally motivated to eat better. I'm just pointing out that a combined approach, making healthy foods easily obtainable and providing nutritional education does more than education alone or doing nothing about addressing obesity.

Cal is right that physical activity is a big part of this as well. Creating pedestrian and bike friendly neighborhoods, building sidewalks in areas where there are none, and making other physical environmental changes can make it easier for people to get out and exercise. But people still have to get off their butts to do it.

I'm pretty sure whatever I say won't convince those who believe solely in the role of individual responsibility, but increasing access to health promoting goods, services, and environments give people more choices. It's up to people to decide what to do with those choices and opportunities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: