StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

I, Robot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Altoid
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 413

Altoid is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Altoid's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:51 pm   Post subject: I, Robot Reply with quote

Short and sweet review

Will Smith's performance: same as Men in Black and Independence Day

Sonny's (main robot) Performance: Neo combined with HAL (can you say "bullet time"?)

Bridget Moynahan's performace (main robot "psychiatrist"): Dry, she was more robotic than the main robot!

James Cromwell's (dead guy) performance: Okay, you want to tell Will Smith something, can you be more cryptic? Hey, at least it was better than Paycheck as a "follow the clues" movie *shrug*

Summary: Sorta works, decent popcorn movie Smile

[/spoiler]
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed this one- pacing was good, liked the Sonny robot's ambiguity and his intriguing questions at the beginning. I thought you could see the ending a mile away if you've thought about this stuff before. The robot laws were introduced pretty well for a non sci-fi audience. Would have been better if Bridget Moynahan actually had some romantic chemistry with Will Smith. Fun summer film if you disconnect it from Asimov's stories.
Pixie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the flick. I thought it was a lot of fun. Best action movie I've gotten caught up in since Terminator 2.

I can't wait to see it again!!

BTW Altoid, your spoiler warning symbol is only half there, so you are spreading spoilers to all Wink
GrooveMerchant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2617

GrooveMerchant is offline View user's profile Send private message GrooveMerchant's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all, I thought this was a pretty decent flick. The special effects came together pretty well and there where some great action sequences. Although the characters are fairly one dimensional and while it brings up some interesting topics, as it's already been mentioned, it's falls far from Asimov.

For the most part it was just fun to sit back and watch the robots destroy stuff, which seems to be the point of the film. If you have a couple of hours to kill sometime definetly check it out, good times I must say.......
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this movie tonight. Not bad, but it didn't really capture my imagination. The production design was great, I even liked all the acting performances, but in the end I found the screenwriting to be kind of lacking. It was a bit too full of cliches and it didn't take advantage of the opportunity to really say something interesting. Most of the time it seemed as though some really cool ideas were simmering right below the surface, but without ever breaking through.

I guess what I'm saying is that this film couldn't decide whether it wanted to be dumb summer entertainment or a serious science fiction film. Instead, it tried to be mostly the latter with a generous sprinkling of the former, which didn't really work for me. It certainly has a number of thematic similarities to Terminator 2, but I found that film to be far more skillfully pulled off.

Spoiler:
I think that part of the problem is that there was too little time between the revelation of the true source of the threat and the resolution of that threat. In T2, we were always aware of the threat and its great power and we saw it manifested in both subtle (eg. fake voice on the telephone) and aggressive (eg. butchered through the milk carton) ways.

Still, I thought that I, Robot was worth seeing... even if Dark City is still my favourite Alex Proyas film. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: