StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Broadway musicals made into movies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA goober
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 990

goober is offline View user's profile Send private message goober's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:28 am   Post subject: Broadway musicals made into movies Reply with quote

After finding some other musical film lovers in the chat, I decided to finally ask this question: What's the general consensus on soundtracks from Broadway musicals that have been made into movies? I know we have some of the older ones (Music Man comes to mind first) but I was wondering what people thought about having some others added.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Movies like Joseph and Jesus Christ Superstar spring to my mind. Is that the kind of thing you mean?

Not really my bag but I'm more than happy to maintain the diversity on the site if that's what other members want.
USA goober
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 990

goober is offline View user's profile Send private message goober's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are possibilities but I was also thinking of things like My Fair Lady and The King and I.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as a musical has been made into a movie, sure, it would be great to have it available on SST. Not only the "old" ones, but the new ones as well. I for one can't wait to see the new Phantom of the Opera movie, due out in December. The official web site just came on line: http://www.phantomoftheoperamovie.com

But I like this un-official one even better: http://homepage.mac.com/leonardo.ubeda/Phantom/PhantomMovie.htm
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think once a year it would be okay if a few more film musicals were added, but the current balance seems fine to me.

If we start adding too many Broadway tunes, we'll be hearing from Sound of Music "I am sixteen going on seventeen..." and Alanis Morrisette butchering Cole Porter in De-lovely. The horror, the horror. Wink

P.S. I like Sound of Music, but that song irritates me.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirael, you changed my mind. Thank you. There are plenty of other web sites where people can listen to Broadway musicals. One of the things that's so great about SST is that it's almost totally orchestral music. So add me to the "nay" votes on this one.
USA Goblinmoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 1999

Goblinmoon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Goblinmoon's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings up an interesting question which I'm sure has been discussed before...

When is it a musical and when is it a movie? For instance do the streaming channels that carry musicals cover the broadway cast? or the movie cast? I believe (and could well be totally wrong) that mostly they cover the shows, not the movies. And we all know that often the cast is not the same, as well as some of the music. For instance, I love the movie soundtrack for 1776, but not the original Broadway or even the stage one with Brent Spiner.

Perhaps what is needed, is really looking to see the differences between the two albums and to see if they're covered somewhere else.

And that's not even bringing up the stuff that's essentially a musical on screen only, e.g. Moulin Rouge.

Whew...
Tjoe
Commander
Commander

Member#: 6471

Tjoe is offline View user's profile Send private message Tjoe's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Goblin - My experience from the broadway stations, of which I listen to a lot, is that they tend to play the stage versions more than the movie versions. And, like you, I don't like the Brent Spiner version of 1776 either.

I am in favor of having more musicals available, whether stage or film version. Being vocals, we would want to limit how much they are played. I don't know if the request system has the ability to add a genre limit, but that might help too.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zirael, now I have that song stuck in my head. Can't listen to SST at the, so I can't replace it with something else. Argh!

Wink

jeff
sdg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: