StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Priorities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:31 pm   Post subject: Priorities Reply with quote

I understand that donations are essentiel to keep this site thriving, but I am curious as to how people want the donations spent.

Assuming that the donations are more than enough to cover costs, how should the remaining money be primarily used? Should most of it be used to aquire more music (to provide greater variety), or should it be used to aquire more bandwidth so that more people can listen?

I personally lean toward aquiring more bandwidth, while aquiring new soundtracks could come as a second priority.

I have no problem with the current system (this is not a complaint or anything); I just thought it might be interesting to see what people think. Maybe a vote could be held...
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:28 pm   Post subject: Priorities Reply with quote

Keep this topic alive. I'd like to recieve more input before responding. This is an interesting post <trilbyte>. Why don't you register in the forum? Was there a problem with the sign-up process? [Razz]

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:39 pm   Post subject: Priorities Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by <trilobyte>:
I understand that donations are essentiel to keep this site thriving, but I am curious as to how people want the donations spent.

I personally lean toward aquiring more bandwidth, while aquiring new soundtracks could come as a second priority.

What do you mean with bandwith? More users on a stream or better quality? I personally dont like the 24k stream, but I know that people are listening to it without any problems.

Personnally I liked the 96k stream. No real quality loss there, and more people can listen to it.
The more people will listen to it, the more people will donate and the more money can be spend on new Soundtracks. [Smile]

So I would say, spend the money on getting more people to listen with nice quality. If listeners are satisfied, they will donate.
Fanatic2k4
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 41

Fanatic2k4 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Fanatic2k4's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:17 am   Post subject: Priorities Reply with quote

In my opinion, the money I give should be spent in any way that would help the stream grow.

If a new movie comes out and the soundtrack is a must-have, the donations should be spent on that.

If the number of users starts to excede the number of available spots, it should be spent there too.

Not to mention Jeric's out-of-pocket expenses shouldbe paid off too. He commits his time and energy to this stream, he should be rewarded.

All-in-all, I know that the donations are put into something good. I give when I can. I suggest that everyone that listens should give as well, even if its just pocket change.
Fanatic2k4
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 41

Fanatic2k4 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Fanatic2k4's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:36 am   Post subject: Priorities Reply with quote

I personally don't like any stream that has less than 128kb. I personally don't like scratchy music. I just won't listen to it. More bandwidth allows more people to listen to any one stream.
SlowMo
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 29

SlowMo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SlowMo's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:32 am   Post subject: Priorities Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but this is a webcast, and I think we shouldn't be greedy... I agree that 24k is not so good, but I was very happy with the 96k stream.

I don't think the difference between 96k and 128k is that noticeable. You can't expect CD quality from regular FM radio neither now?

Switching to 96k actually means 33,3% more available slots!

Anyway, just my 2 cents [Big Grin]
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 58

Trilobyte is offline View user's profile Send private message Trilobyte's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:28 pm   Post subject: Priorities Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Caliburn:
[/qb]

What do you mean with bandwith? More users on a stream or better quality? I personally dont like the 24k stream, but I know that people are listening to it without any problems.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

I guess what I meant was more spaces for more people to listen (Yes, bandwidth was a bad word to use). Anyways, I mostly agree with what you said.

And yes, as you can see, I have decided to register in the forum. Thanks!

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 8:59 pm   Post subject: Priorities Reply with quote

I'm going to try to clarify some of these matters in this topic bluntly.

"Assuming that the donations are more than enough to cover costs"
False, I pay out of my pocket every month. I consider this a hobby because I really enjoy what I am doing, but it is becoming more serious than that to me. I'd love to quit my day job to concentrate on SS fulltime. But that's a pipedream.

"Should most of it be used to aquire more music (to provide greater variety), or should it be used to aquire more bandwidth so that more people can listen?"
Maybe a poll would be nice for this one. Senior Members feel free if this topic is of interest to you.

"I have no problem with the current system (this is not a complaint or anything); I just thought it might be interesting to see what people think. Maybe a vote could be held..."
I know Trilobyte, you bring up very good points.

Fanatic, your 1st post is my current strategy. I'm glad we're on the same page.

"Personnally I liked the 96k stream. No real quality loss there, and more people can listen to it."
96k is less attractive to listeners in YP's. 128k is much more demanded. That is the reason for the switch from 96 to 128.

"If listeners are satisfied, they will donate."
I wish that were always true. People always want something for nothing, that's a fact.

"I agree that 24k is not so good, but I was very happy with the 96k stream."
The 24k is essential for listeners with limited bandwidth. I already feel bad for neglecting Netscape users. LOL

"Switching to 96k actually means 33,3% more available slots!"
Good point but again, 96k is less appealing.

"And yes, as you can see, I have decided to register in the forum."
I'm so happy you did! [Big Grin]

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 11:25 pm   Post subject: Priorities Reply with quote

quote:
By Jeric:

"Personnally I liked the 96k stream. No real quality loss there, and more people can listen to it."
96k is less attractive to listeners in YP's. 128k is much more demanded. That is the reason for the switch from 96 to 128.

Ok, you probably know that better then I do. And now with the new 128k streams. This isnt a problem anymore (when they are up again of course [Wink] )

quote:
By Jeric:

"If listeners are satisfied, they will donate."
I wish that were always true. People always want something for nothing, that's a fact.

Yeah you are probably right [Frown] . But I was wondering. When are you going to start with 56k streams? My ISP @home is very bad. It keeps buffering a lot. A 56k stream would really help me out [Smile] .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: