StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Village

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:47 pm   Post subject: The Village Reply with quote

I really was caught up in the film for about 3/4 of the way through, then it all started unraveling. I think the problem was that the movie didn't resonate as strongly because the underlying idea seemed rather empty. At least Unbreakable had pop culture mythology and Signs had faith to sustain it.

Bryce Dallas Howard's performance as a blind girl was a breakout role and she stole the show. The dialogue was stilted but the film looked gorgeous.

I ran out and bought the score right after I saw the film because the violin solos were so haunting. The score didn't have the typical symphonic swells and was mainly atmospheric suspense music, but it was very intriguing.

Spoiler:
I thought about the movie long after it was over since it brought up a lot of questions. The so-called utopian village needed to have a threat in order to stay united and not venture outside. Some veiled political commentary there. Wink Anyone who broke the rules could bring harm to the village, which made it easy for people to stop nonconformists. The village didn't need police because the elders interrogated everyone. The movie combined a non-scary horror flick with a bit of the Crucible.
shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The score was great. The movie sucked.
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

shock wrote:
The score was great. The movie sucked.

I wouldn't go as far to say the film totally sucked, but it was very disappointing. I'd tell people to pass on it and see some other summer films unless they are curious about how Shyamalan has progressed (or not) as an artist.
Flitwick15
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 7496

Flitwick15 is offline View user's profile Send private message Flitwick15's Favorites are Private
AIM Address MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant believe people think this movie sucks Rolling Eyes i thought it totally rocked! Surprised
GrooveMerchant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2617

GrooveMerchant is offline View user's profile Send private message GrooveMerchant's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it 'sucked.' But it was a bit of a disapointment. Oh well, even if it wasn't all I hoped it would be, it still raises some interesing topics and probably has more thought and inegnuity than most of your standard summer flicks.

So I guess I'm a tad torn. Anyways, some of the things in the film I felt werent quite explained very well and left me scratching my head a bit. Maybe someone will be able to explain this to me........I apologize for my ranting/nitpicking ahead of time.

Spoiler:
So the elders where the creatures, that one you could see coming a mile away. William Hurt's character explained that they used tools or whatever to make the creatures noises in the forrest, right?

How is it that during the strangest times, like during dinner, or late at night, the noises occur? Did they just have the elders running around the forrest at all times of the day doing this? No one notices that they're gone or that they enter the woods?

Also, if there are no creatures, what did Joaquin Phoenix's see in the woods that day? Was that just another elder randomly wandering throughout the woods? Seems a little too perfect for me. Was it supposed to be Adrian Brody's character?

Another thing, I assume that it was Adrian Brody who was skinning all of the animals? Since even the elders where generally stumped on that one.

Alrighty, my ranting is done.

Great soundtrack I must say, I'm thinking about picking it up.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:32 am   Post subject: Re: The Village Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
The dialogue was stilted...

Spoiler:
I began watching this film and was immediately taken aback by the dialogue. I thought, "This doesn't sound like turn of the century english.... it sounds more like modern people trying to imitate turn of the century english." The problem then was that I knew M. Night was too good of a writer to do this unless it was intentional... which immediately led me to figure out what the big twist would probably be. This isn't a complaint as it is more of an explanation that the dialogue was intentionally stilted. These were people trying to mimic a way of talking, and their children who had grown up listening to it.
Bagie
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 7592

Bagie is offline View user's profile Send private message Bagie's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow is the movie out already there? I have to wait another little month before I can see him. I don't know if I'm going to watch it....the subject doesn't seem to inspire me and if you guys say the dialogs aren't really...well yeah...oh well, I'll see Smile
Caelyn
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 7562

Caelyn is offline View user's profile Send private message Caelyn's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the movie was alright.. one thing about M. Night is that all his films are different. It wasn't the best of his movies (IMHO that would be Signs), but it wasn't horrible. I agree that about halfway through it kindof looses your attention as you can guess how it's going to end... but you still want to watch and see. I love how M. Night closes all of his loose ends - except one....

Spoiler:
I guessed from the beginning that Lucius' colour was red... but it never is touched again after the first 1/2 of the movie. So..... is it? Isn't it?
When I saw the monster for the first time, it was believable because in the other films we saw superheros, dead guys, and real aliens.. so why not a big spikey monster with three foot long claws.
I thought the twist was good.. seeing the picture for the first time is neat of them all in modern clothes.
(That brings up a good question.. which was the better twist? The monster's being 'fake' or the fact that it was all set in modern day?)
I had heard before hand that some people were disappointed with the ending, but if you think about it - how else could it have ended? People would have been just as dissappointed if the village had fallen apart and everyone had returned to civilization. That would have dragged the movie out in a whole other direction with them adjusting to modern day etc etc.... hmm.. something to think about.. Rolling Eyes
Ron Howard's daughter is amazing.. she was perfect for the role. She is beautiful in this, and her acting is better than everyone else in the film. Joaquin was alright - but it wasn't his best piece considering he sat dead for a good portion of the movie. Adrian Brodie was amazing as well, but still not as good as Bryce.

Anywho... those are just my humble thoughs. Smile
OutlawJW
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 7648

OutlawJW is offline View user's profile Send private message OutlawJW's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that since The Sixth Sense was a smash, everyone has gone to see M.Night's films with a high level of expectation. I have enjoyed each one, but it seems reviews are always split. Most people I talked to that didn't like The Village were mostly disappointed that it wasn't the scary frightfest they expected,a surprise I rather enjoyed. I like the fact that his movies leave you with something to talk about when you leave the theater. No one can say The Village was a cookie cutter summer flick, regardless if the liked it or not. I looked forward to his next film. Smile
USA alberich VIP (subscribed member)
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 4

alberich is offline View user's profile Send private message View alberich's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Flitwick15 wrote:
i cant believe people think this movie sucks Rolling Eyes i thought it totally rocked! Surprised

Ditto....

i went back to see it three times...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: