StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Tell us about your listening habits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
ScoreAficionado
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 5078

ScoreAficionado is offline View user's profile Send private message ScoreAficionado's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:08 am   Post subject: Tell us about your listening habits Reply with quote

I'd be interested in hearing a bit about the listening habits of some fellow score enthusiasts here.

I know that most people listen passively to music, that is, they use it mostly as background 'fill' while working, partying or doing something else. But I'd presume that many people here -- who obviously have a greater interest in film music than most people -- also spend some time listening actively to their scores, in order to heighten the listening experience and dig deeper into the nuances of the music.

Some or perhaps many of those active listeners are also audiophiles, and have invested some money into their sound equipment. That's another aspect of the listening experience. You don't necessarily need a good-sounding high-end system to enjoy the music, but it certainly improves the listening experience. Not only because a good audio-system can bring forth so much more details in the music, but also because it sounds more transparent.

Anyway, the idea behind this post is to start a discussion on our listening habits, and what sort of equipment is used.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sit on the ground before my receiver with a bottle of beer and listen to music. Soundtracks mostly. And yes I am one of those dudes who spend money on his audio/video system.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a thread which touches on your question score:

What do you while listening to sst

But to answer your question personally I try to listen to scores on headphones whenever I can. I feel that the music surrounds me then and I can here more nuances to the music, here further range in the sounds too I suppose. I don't have any fancy equipment so I guess you would get a similar experience listening on an impressive system.

For me, shutting off the rest of the world and just spending some dedicated time listening to scores is an increidble experience. Particularly if you're listening to something more subtle.

My problem is that no-one else I know personally likes soundtracks so I tend to try to find moments when no-one else is about to listen.

Sad, but true!
shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like headphones for the same reasons mellow mentioned, but I also love to hear the music through my speakers in the room (not to forget that you can annoy your neighbors Wink). I'm usually a very active listener, but since it's my job to listen to music all day, I don't do it that often in my free time.
I paid about 5000 $ for my pair of loudspeakers, so I guess that makes my an audiophile.

Last edited by shock on Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll listen to Streaming Soundtracks as background music while I'm working, but if a track that I'm really interested in comes up I'll stop working and just listen. I haven't invested a ton of money on sound equipment, but the stuff I have gives a pretty good sound experience. Plus I listen on headphones quite a bit.
Tjoe
Commander
Commander

Member#: 6471

Tjoe is offline View user's profile Send private message Tjoe's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Hurr, I'm a background listening kind of guy. When I'm working, I have become very dependent on hearing music in the background - very, very lightly most of the time. It helps to block all the ambient distractions around me. When I have private time (nobody pestering me in person or on the phone), I can be found with my big, bulky wireless headphones on so that I can really dig down and concentrate.

Studies have shown that certain classical music helps to get the creative juices flowing. That type of music is found in a lot of the big sweeping scores that are in soundtrack music. The kind of work I do often requires a lot of imagination and concentration. I tend to list to ST music during more of the year than other music. Christmas music comes in second Smile
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Hurr78 and TJoebgen...as background music. Although, I have it a little louder than "background". The problem for me is that my wife does not like soundtracks...so I have it on quite nicely when she's not here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitted the heated discussion to the Entertainment forum.
graywolf
Commander
Commander

Member#: 2693

graywolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website graywolf's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliburn wrote:
Splitted the heated discussion to the Entertainment forum.

Kudos to Cal for creating a new word splitted
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

*looks it up in dictionary*

Damnit, I knew I should have paid more attention in English class :D
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I put SST on at work. It keeps me going when working on boring tasks. And my coworkers love it!

Besides, it's better than listening to depressing newstalk radio. Smile

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA schroddie
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7501

schroddie is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website schroddie's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I love music so much... I listen to music whenever I have the opportunity: at home, at work, in my car, in the plane, at the gym... I usually set the music as a background but, when I really like the music, don't even talk to me, I'm not there anymore... Music is my drug...
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 7518

Gustavo is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gustavo's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy listening to music because it makes me feel good, and it makes my imagination flow. I feel emotionally "high".
Cadet 2

Member#: 8212

Spiffyguy42 is offline View user's profile Send private message Spiffyguy42's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to it while writing up essays for my college classes, but whenever I have enough time (and the roomie isn't in) I turn up my speakers, sit down and close my eyes. I try to let the music take me away.
Lieutenant

Member#: 548

korkster is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website korkster's Favorites are Private
AIM Address MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I work from either my home, or a hotel room, I constantly have SST or occasionally a classical station on while I work. Only thing I regret, is that SST isnt satellite yet so I could listen to it in my car!!

Kork
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: