StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Keyword links in chat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:29 pm   Post subject: Keyword links in chat Reply with quote

Some of you have already noticed it and from the log I can see that it has been put to use a few times already, probably without the posters knowledge. I'm talking about the words that magically light up and become links when you say something. The idea was to only make the two words FAQ and VIP links to their respective pages here at SST so that newbies could easily be directed there without flooding the chat with nasty URLs. I thought it might be a good idea to add a few other links like IMDb and soundtrackcollector. If you know about a word that should be in the list you can send me a pm or post here. Please note that I'm not going to add all kinds of websites to the list(including your SST profile, homepage, blog etc). It must be something that is used often and that is of use to many people, not just you. I also dont want the chat to be a command prompt so please dont run over there and try out a bunch of words (and no, linux/dos commands dont work Wink ). The words are case-insensitive so it doesn't matter if you write #faq# or #FAQ#. Some words can be written several ways though, for example both "#L365#" and "#Live365#" will light up. The idea is that the words can be written in the context of a normal sentence so dont do stuff like "Read the -==<<[FAQ]>>==-".

Edit: All links will open in a new page since some of you might be using the undocked chat or @work.

Edit: Some of the links like imdb messed up normal URLs, but adding spaces is not foolprof. Now all words will have to start and end with a hyphen (-). Some words have also been removed due to excessive use.

Here's the list of keywords so far:
Edit by JERIC: Keeping the list in the Chat FAQ from now on.

Update: Alle keywords are now surrounded by # instead of -

Last edited by Sensei on Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:21 am; edited 9 times in total
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

yay! thanks sensei makes things much easier.

Can you do one that takes you straight to the VIPFAQ?
Commander

Member#: 6471

Tjoe is offline View user's profile Send private message Tjoe's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sensei! Awesome addition!
doodle
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 7277

doodle is offline View user's profile Send private message doodle's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Would an album tag be too much?

By way of example, using [album]Batman[/album] could link to the popup for the album request or profile, or even just link to the search...

EDIT: Now that I think of it, a composer tag of the same nature wouldn't be a far cry from this... Just be useful for people referring to certain soundtracks or people in the Soundtracks forum.
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't you have to code that for all 1500+ cd's??

(sorry haven't gotten past css yet so not sure how all this works)
Commander

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

doodle wrote:
Would an album tag be too much?

By way of example, using [album]Batman[/album] could link to the popup for the album request or profile, or even just link to the search...

EDIT: Now that I think of it, a composer tag of the same nature wouldn't be a far cry from this... Just be useful for people referring to certain soundtracks or people in the Soundtracks forum.

Sensei wrote:
I also dont want the chat to be a command prompt

I made the search function in the playlist/request for that.

It is possible, but not the way I'm doing this now. And btw, for the system the name of the album "Batman" is in fact B000002LIM.
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

that just sounds way to complicated

and yeah it would take away from the few keywords to have everything do that, plus i would think some people might want to link batman to something outside sst and that could run into bigger issues.

thanks for all you do sensei! looks great
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 7277

doodle is offline View user's profile Send private message doodle's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough...
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. i do think that anything like that should just apply to here. not that there is a link page under Features for others and link to our one webpage when we post. Wink
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty slick Sensei.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA rebeccabutterfly
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just like that when i write the word equipment in the chat, it links to the PM in the middle of the word.

Good job Sensei, you do a great job around here.
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rebeccabutterfly wrote:
I just like that when i write the word equipment in the chat, it links to the PM in the middle of the word.

Yea, I know. There are lots of words that will be partially linked and it's because the script reacts on "pm" and not "pm "(note the trailing space) which would solve that issue. But then again it would not react on e.g. the sentence "Does this site have a FAQ?" And as long as it doesn't mess things up, a link here and there can't hurt Wink
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. very nice man:D
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Sensei, good work dude!
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sensei, can you make it to where the VIPFAQ, either has no spaces or a dash, it makes it look like two different links
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: