StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Van Helsing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Gimme a break, Zirael. You're scrambling so hard to defend yourself now that you've stooped to trying to change the subject by making this about respect for teachers.

To answer your question, yeah, right after graduating I taught. Now I'm too busy actually performing my craft to have time to teach it.

You lose.
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG This is sooo funny... Keep up the fight Z... its very entertaing when cocles chews on a newbie Wink
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

These sort of posts make the forums an entertaining place - ROFL!
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, sometimes people have the ability to "do" or to teach but choose one over the other. A lot of academics are good illustrations of that... I've known some who did great research when they did it, but they were more interested in teaching and, therefore, devoted more time to it. And then, of course, there are academics who aren't bad at teaching but kind of suck at researching/writing... yet they still pursue the latter with a great deal of tenacity.

So, Cocles, I wouldn't entirely disagree with your position on this, but I also think that people have priorities in life that aren't always perfectly aligned with their abilities.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh good one!

*gets beer and popcorn*
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't the one who changed the topic first. The little mantra about teaching and criticism is what did it.

Cocles, by admitting you were briefly a teacher, it means you can both teach and write screenplays but just chose to focus on your writing.

Critics have written screenplays, and screenwriters have written magazine articles, so it's not like they can't do both.

I'm in a totally different field than you anyhow, behavioral science research, and I don't think I'm different than other folks who post mini film reviews on SST. Just for fun, I've taken English courses in film analysis and TV documentary production courses in school. But I have no aspirations of getting into the business.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurr78 wrote:
So, Cocles, I wouldn't entirely disagree with your position on this, but I also think that people have priorities in life that aren't always perfectly aligned with their abilities.

Going back through the history of the SST forum, one will notice a that whenever a debate occurs there is always that one obligatory poster who is compelled to leap up and shout.

"There are exceptions to every rule!"

To all of you, I say,

"Thank you, Captain Obvious!" Very Happy
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
I wasn't the one who changed the topic first. The little mantra about teaching and criticism is what did it.

Noo... the point of my mantra was to say that because you can't do it, teach it, or critique it professionally, you choose to whine about it here on an internet forum.

To defend yourself, you decided to ignore everything but the first line of that mantra and make this about teachers.

Let me know when you need a ladder to climb out of this hole you've dug yourself in.
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I already said I don't want to be a professional writer, teacher, critic in the film/tv business, so what's your problem with me expressing my viewpoints on film here?

Does that mean only professionals have the right to make a few criticisms about a film and offer their OPINION?

If that was the case, these forums wouldn't be functioning because not everyone is a professional like you.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
Going back through the history of the SST forum, one will notice a that whenever a debate occurs there is always that one obligatory poster who is compelled to leap up and shout.

"There are exceptions to every rule!"

To all of you, I say,

"Thank you, Captain Obvious!" Very Happy

Well, I actually meant that there are a lot of exceptions to this particular rule. In fact, I'd call it more of a loose correlation than a rule.

But still, glad to be of service.

Sincerely,

Captain Obvious Smile
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
I already said I don't want to be a professional writer, teacher, critic in the film/tv business, so what's your problem with me expressing my viewpoints on film here?

Does that mean only professionals have the right to make a few criticisms about a film and offer their OPINION?

If that was the case, these forums wouldn't be functioning because not everyone is a professional like you.

Interesting how you're basically the only one here mentioning I'm a pro, as if this would in some way invalidate my argument.

Anyways, Zirael, I apologize for offering to toss you a shovel, when I really should have been offering you a map.

You're clearly lost. So let me light the way.

I said you guys (referring to some of you) are being film snobs.

You denied it.

I pointed out that since you don't do it, teach it, or criticize it, you choose to come here and complain about it like a film snob.

You went on about teaching for some reason.

I pointed this out.

Now you're whining about having the right to an opinion.

This argument is not about teaching, nor is it about your right to an opinion. It's about whether or not you're a film snob. Something you can't seem to be able to defend so you keep trying to change the subject as if hoping this will distract from the fact that you lost this discussion several posts ago.

Give it up. You're a snob. Need more proof? When I didn't understand one of your posts and asked for some examples to clarify, you seized it as an excuse to create an entirely new thread based souly on the purpose of ripping on Horner.

If you want to be a snob, fine. The real problem here isn't that you are one; it's that you continue to deny it.
Gr81
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 5444

Gr81 is offline View user's profile Send private message Gr81's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Van Helsing a couple of weeks ago. I liked it a lot. The cinematography and the music were especially impressive (besides the awesome CG work). Stephen Sommers did a fine job with the film (even if I'm one of a few who thinks so).
Cadet 1

Member#: 7182

enigma2004 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website enigma2004's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Van Helsing, although I wish I had at least done some research to find out who the hell was Van Helsing before seeing the movie...

Instead I kept seeing Wolverine from X-Men 1,2 kick butt, only difference was costuming and different weaponry.

God I hope the sequel is better.

Enigma.
aaronebner
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 8165

aaronebner is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail aaronebner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

great score but i've got som problem with the movie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: