StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - R4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
doodle
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 7277

doodle is offline View user's profile Send private message doodle's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:28 am   Post subject: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - R4 Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a theory which states if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened!

To all fans of Douglas Adams' cult classic, BBC Radio 4 is taking the Guide back to its roots, and is to begin broadcasting a new series based on the three books that were never dramatised for radio, those of course being Life, The Universe And Everything, So Long And Thanks For All The Fish and Mostly Harmless. The new series is starting this Tuesday at 6.30pm GMT, repeated on Thursday at 11pm GMT, and hosted online for seven days after the Thursday repeat. The live broadcasts can also be listened to live online, you'll need Real Player in order to.

Enjoy!
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool doodle! Classic books with some very clever ideas, actually.
doodle
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

doodle is offline View user's profile Send private message doodle's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For people wondering what all the fuss is about...

Quote:
The Babel fish is small, yellow, leechlike, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centers of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the NONexistence of God.

The argument goes like this:

`I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.

`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next pedestrian crossing.
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Darnit I missed the shows. Did anyone tape them?
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC has released it on CD.
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I saw them. Pretty outrageous price for a cd
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: