StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

System/Admin "Request" deferment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA hektor
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 8239

hektor is offline View user's profile Send private message hektor's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:41 pm   Post subject: System/Admin "Request" deferment Reply with quote

***If*** "System/Admin" requests are randomly relected tracks to compensate for low user request activity, I was wondering if it would be possible to either:

1) Allow "real" user requests to automatically be advanced past "System/Admin" requests in the queue.

OR

2) Generate "System/Admin" random requests on the fly as needed and not allow them to stack up in the request queue.

Thank you!
USA schroddie
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7501

schroddie is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website schroddie's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is that such a problem? I think it allows us to discover hidden treasures sometimes...
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

hektor is offline View user's profile Send private message hektor's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a point schroddie, however I feel the diversity of our membership and the 7-day no-replay rule adaquately provides for a mixture of new and popular requests.

I'm not at all opposed to listening to random tracks (I frequently never make requests because I'm too busy or pre-occupied). However there have been times (non-peak to be sure) when I've logged-in and been confronted with such a long list of "System/Admin" requests, I frankly saw no point in requesting anything anyway as I'd be gone by the time my request played.

Besides, on principle, I think "real" requests should take priority over randomly generated requests.
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

hektor wrote:
I'm not at all opposed to listening to random tracks (I frequently never make requests because I'm too busy or pre-occupied). However there have been times (non-peak to be sure) when I've logged-in and been confronted with such a long list of "System/Admin" requests, I frankly saw no point in requesting anything anyway as I'd be gone by the time my request played.

Besides, on principle, I think "real" requests should take priority over randomly generated requests.

For more info on the System/Admin requests and why they are there, go here

As far as the "real" requests taking priority over random System/Admin picks? It's always been first come first served. I think it should stay that way. Besides the System/Admin adds those random tracks when the queue dips below 60 minutes.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Generating them on the fly would require constant admin supervision. I doubt any of our admins have time to watch 24/7.

Also if the queue is stacke w/ SAM requests, then the queue time is probably right at an hour, which is required, so either way, you wouldn't hear your request any sooner than an hour.
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to have SAM pick ramdom things not heard.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-son wrote:
Better to have SAM pick ramdom things not heard.

sorry to pick on you obi, but "ramdom" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I now understand about the need to keep the queue at 60 minutes. Interesting stuff about the DMCA... I just love regulations!

I also now (sort of) understand everyones' perspective on keeping things as they are in regards to allowing user requests to advance ahead of SAM requests. However, I must admit I still don't see any harm in it. It can be automated, and is a courtesy to the listener and cannot with justification offend anyone (as any other listeners obviously aren't requesting anything themselves).

You're right Obi, first come, first serve. First sentient life form, that is!
USA hektor
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, sorry Obi and GD for mixing you up in my last post!
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL no worries

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:26 pm   Post subject: Overriding SAM Reply with quote

I think Hektor has a good idea.

Granted, SAM makes random requests, which gives listeners a chance to hear cues we may overlook (especially very short ones), but SAM has also been known to pick frequently heard tracks as well. I do realize the reasons for the 1 hr. Queue minimum (rules/regs) and I guess we should thank our lucky stars that we even have a Queue to see.

It's the live listeners who support and enjoy SST. What would it hurt to let people enjoy the Queue even more by having their requests override SAM at the one-hour marker?

Of course I am talking about this option only if it can be done automatically, not manually by an Admin. Perhaps this isn't technically possible. But it sure would be nice.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

No SAM requests are placed into a queue that exceeds one hour. So maybe I'm not sure what you mean.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Furyen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 196

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Does SAM "Re-Queue" newly added ST's as well?

Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he meant:

If there is a queue full of SAM tracks and a user made a request that request would be added just behind the last user request in the queue, ahead of the SAM requests.

That would A) break the 1 hour before your request plays rule, and B) potentially leave SAM requests at the queue for a long time.

jeff
sdg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: