StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Thomas Newman
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
YuHirà
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 341

YuHirà is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail YuHirà's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:50 am   Post subject: Thomas Newman Reply with quote

What about Thomas Newman? Does a Newman's Fan exist??? I'm very keen on "Road to Perdition" and especially "Cathedral", which for me is a model for composition. I like American Beauty and Meet Joe Black too... But I'm not very keen on "Erin Brockovich.
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:27 am   Post subject: Thomas Newman Reply with quote

My favorite of his is The Shawshank Redemption by far.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
YuHirà
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

YuHirà is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail YuHirà's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:27 am   Post subject: Thomas Newman Reply with quote

I've not yet heard it entirely. But at the time, Road To Perdition provides me sensations that I never had before. "Cathedral" is absolutely magnificent. The Track 13 too is in my head all the time...
Il like "Meet Joe Black" too, who made me discover this composer ("Whisper Of A Thrill"). No need to quote "American Beauty" this more famous soundtrack. Nevertheless, "Erin Brokovich" is really bad.
Cadet 2

Member#: 709

moviebob is offline View user's profile Send private message moviebob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tomas newman is one of my favorite composers and probably the master at creating a non tangable mood to a movie...
american beauty, shawshank and perdition come to mind,
but dont forget about the horse whisper that was also some of his best work
Kristofke
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 778

Kristofke is offline View user's profile Send private message Kristofke's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good site about Newman, from a good friend of me:

http://users.pandora.be/obelisk/tnc/

but the fans probably already know this website.

I like Newman, Meet Joe Black I like very much! And Road To Perdition was one of the best scores of 2002 (Amelie Poulain from Yan Tiersen was my favorite)
skywalker128
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 314

skywalker128 is offline View user's profile Send private message View skywalker128's Favorites
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite are Little Women,The Shawshank Redemption,How to Make an American Quilt! Very Happy

btw,I also love Amelie very much!! Wink
GrooveMerchant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2617

GrooveMerchant is offline View user's profile Send private message GrooveMerchant's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Thomas Newman, especially his work in The Shawshank Redemption and Road to Perdition, good times!
Netherlands Glorix Jim
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 1753

Glorix Jim is offline View user's profile Send private message Glorix Jim's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Also all his work on series like Six Feet under and Boston Public should be mentioned. I absolutely agree that Newman is one of the big composers of this time with Williams, Zimmer, Horner Goldsmith, etc.

I am really looking forward for his future work.

Check his huge bio, 68 ST's on http://us.imdb.com/Name?Newman,+Thomas
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i'm concerned, Road To Perdition is the best one.

But did nobody listen to "Finding nemo"?

I think that this soundtrack is a important step in his career. He proves that he can compose "Mickey Mousing" music without forgetting his desire to experiment and to make very worked music style...
Cadet 2

Member#: 2852

joker-4 is offline View user's profile Send private message joker-4's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Newman's work on American Beauty was absolutely incredible. His piano work totally fit the melancholy feel of the movie. However, he then followed up with Pay It Forward using a similar score. Not only was that film awful, but also hearing such a similar theme added to my vile hatred of that movie. He redeemed himself with Road to Peridition.
And thanks for that posted link.
yatfinser
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 2470

yatfinser is offline View user's profile Send private message yatfinser's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:52 am   Post subject: Thomas Newman Reply with quote

I watched Meet Joe Black on BBC3 last night (for the umpteenth time). It never fails to make me cry (well, sob actually) helped of course by the incredibly beautiful music. I often play the soundtrack but I could do without 'Cheek to Cheek' and 'Let's Face the Music..' in the middle of it (ruins the mood). 'Whisper of a Thrill' is my favourite. The only other film I've seen that is as good as his music is American Beauty, but I'm open to persuasion....

My wife bought me the soundtrack album of 'Six Feet Under' thinking it was mainly Thomas Newman stuff (which it isn't) but the other tracks are pretty good contemorary-ish music.
USA Trinity3777
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 124

Trinity3777 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Trinity3777's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:21 pm   Post subject: Thomas Newman is my personal favorite Reply with quote

Thomas Newman is my favorite composer, although i also enjoy Mark Isham a lot. But I could listen to Meet Joe Black (favorite score) for hours on end. Shawshank, American Beauty, Horse Whisperer, Road to Perdition are all wonderful too. He finds the general tone of the movie and comes up with a main theme/mood and then branches off his other tracks from there.

If you haven't listened to it yet, please do yourself a favor and listen to "Whisper of a Thrill" from MJB - my favorite track - it's beautimus - lol Very Happy
Cadet 1

Member#: 585

zhivago is offline View user's profile Send private message zhivago's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a true-blue Newman fan (I am), try his soundtrack from "Unstrung Heroes" (1995). I understand it's difficult to find - I bought mine used at Amazon - but many of his fans say that this is his best, or one of his best efforts. It's unmistakably Thomas Newman but it's out near the fringe. I think it's one of his best and it's addictive. Definitely different.
USA PeteC VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3796

PeteC is offline View user's profile Send private message View PeteC's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I talk about Thomas Newman, let me suggest that you check out the recent addition of "Hoffa" by David Newman, arguably, his best. Check out the drama of the End Title. I think you will agree. It's something.

On Thomas, I do appreciate his delicate approach. I'm trying to figure out whether Convertino borrowed from him or vice-versa. They seem as though they are on the same wave-length. There's something about Convertino that I prefer but that does not take away from T. Newman. His music is very sensitive. I like this, though I suspect his music is not for everyone here on the site. It's very much more subdued and soft-spoken.

His use of the acoustic guitar gives the music an accessibility that's enhancing.

Again, check out David's "Hoffa". You won't regret it, his very best, in my book.

Smile
good as good. Herein lies evil.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoffa is an outstanding piece of work. However Galaxy Quest is my favorite of David's.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: