StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Concern of Bootleg Soundtracks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Furyen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 196

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:05 am   Post subject: The Concern of Bootleg Soundtracks. Reply with quote

Bootleg soundtracks... From my own experience, you can be scolded just for even mentioning thoses very words here at SST. Some of us have at one time or another, have come across Illegal recordings of certin soundtracks, that may, or may not, have score that was never released to the public's ear. And possibley some of us here at SST have a couple in our own collection. I, myself, am guilty of owning a few. Still, It doesnt make it right for me, or anyone else, to promote them. The artist, the Master workers of SST's vast and mighty collection, are paid royalties thru their officaly released material. For example: Van Helsing. The score was composed and conducted my Alan Silvestri. The CD that is bought, possible priced at $19.99, is cut into precentages. Lets say Decca Records (the supplyer of the CD's is given 25% of that sale, then comes UMG Soundtracks, the recording studio, is given another 25% of that sale. Then comes Universal Pictures , providing the copyrighted materal, thats another 25%, also lets not forget man himself Alan, lets give him, oh...15% of the sale. Which wouldn't be too far off. At last, theres the retailer, who sales the cd, gets 10%, which hopefully (if my math isn't too bad) comes out to 100% sales splitting. Everyones happy. Now, in comes the Unoffical release of Van Helsing. The material, perhaps stolen from the master recording tapes, or from Oscar Promo's, your choice. They are first digitaly copyed onto a normal hard drive of a simple home-based computer. With blank cd's, also with the help of a simple CD-recorder, can one make a solid bootleg Soundtrack. There are many countries that have these so called "Bootleg Publishers". As to were you can find them....Just about anywhere!!! It starts at the Internet at your fingertips, and all the way to the coasts of America, Japan, UK, France, Spain...you get my drift. All it takes is a vendor in the street, or an Ebayer offering a tasty ST of LOTR with unreleased material. Once you have it in your hands, you may think yourself proud, that you've gotten this one-of-a-kind piece of fantastically composed music...That you've won. But you have lost. Not just fincally, but Morally. When you make, or purchase Bootleg material, you cheat the one mind that composed that Soundtrack. When a "Bootleg Publisher" provides that music, he takes with him, 100% of the sales. No credit given to the Orginal producers of the Music, no financial credit given to the studio of which it was recorded in. And last of all, no royalites given to the man who composed the music itself. When buying Bootleg CD's, you hurt the offical composer, the offical publisher, the offical retailer, and You. When in dealing, and purchasing Bootleg material, you cause the retailer to increase it's price of the offical material. This is most cases, causes loss in profit to the composer, and publishers. In laymen's terms, makes the Movie producers not want to hire composers for their films, and their for incert "Various Artists" (The Cheaper way) material into film, instead of just one composer. And nowadays, it looks like its already happing. A couple of examples, Godzilla, Orginal score composed by David Arnold. His score was never released to the public. Instead, in its place, was a bullcrap album with no-nonsense music that wasen't heard (AT ALL) in the film. (no offence to Rage against the Machine fans, I loved that band!!). Another, is LOTR- The Fellowship of the ring. The Soundtrack offered what only appeard to be less than an hour of film music,leaving out alot of faviorable cues. When it all comes down to it, the costs are what drive away the composers, and what bring in the Music fillers. It's also because of Bootlegs,and Illegal downloading, That causes the Companys to drive up their royaltie prices, to actually "Broadcast" them Via internet.

Now, ways to tell a bootleg cd from an offical cd is by A: Barcode number, for example Van Helsing, should read 6- for company stock, then followed by 02498 one break, 61999 with 5 for company stock. B: is by sin number. (I could be wrong about that) At the ends of the cd caseing, on the right hand side, their should be a group of letters and numbers. For Van Helsing, its B0002331-12. It might vary from cd to cd. C: And lastly, the most over looked, and inportant way to tell a real from a fake, is the inner circle of the cd. for example, the Van Helsing cd should read in the circle: B00 023 3112 03$ xXx, their after with the universal trademark. Most Bootleg publisher's cannot duplicate this. Also, when Idenifing Bootleg cd's, look at the color of the digital informaion side of the cd usually it will appear to have a light green or blueish tint to it. Also, with an Offical cd, their will appear to what looks like a break in the recorded informaion code near the outer part of the cd. Bootleg publishers 99% of the time do NOT do this, nor can they Smile. When purchasing Soundtracks, the best way to go is thru carefully trusted retailers. Sometimes the Publishers of the ST will provide what retailers to go to. With most online sites, its Amazon.com or Best Buy. When bidding for a ST on Ebay, make sure the Biddie, or seller, lists the both the sin and barcode numbers. And if need be, ask for the code that is located within the inner circle of the cd. If you an all come across what appears to be a Bootleg st on ebay, do so report it immiditally. You'll be doing more than just helping ebay...alot more.
I've said it before, that the thought of a Soundtrack with unreleased material is mouth-watering. And it is. Temptation will haunt you, and perhaps take you. Already I have fell for such temptations, and now looked down upon for doing so, by some SST'ers. And I'd like to apoligies to thoses if I, in anyway, appeard to boast bootleg Cd's or publications. Anyways I'd be glad to hear any opinions or views concerning Bootleg cds. Smile Please excuse me if i've made any grammer or Spelling mistakes.....And scene.

shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still, It doesnt make it right for me, or anyone else, to promote them.

Um, wait a sec - wasn't that you who posted a link in the chat lately where you could download all scores (bootlegs and regular releases) of all 4 Alien movies? Confused
USA Furyen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 196

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and like I said before, I apoligies for promoting in any way, Bootleg STs.

USA rebeccabutterfly
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he was forced to write the post in response to his wrong deed in the chat.

I will not bootleg soundtracks or (even if I do, I shall not) promote it on SST.
I will not bootleg soundtracks or (even if I do, I shall not) promote it on SST.
I will not bootleg soundtracks or (even if I do I shall not) promote it on SST.

From now on, anyone promoting stealing of music in any way must come to this forum and admonish their sins, according to the SST gods.
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great. Thou art forgiven, Furyen. Smile

*moved from community to soundtracks*

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.

Last edited by JERIC on Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: