StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What is stream ripping?

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Skeptilence
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 119

Skeptilence is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skeptilence's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:24 am   Post subject: What is stream ripping? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm fairly new to internet radio and I'm curious to know exactly what it is, and why it causes a major problem.
loveslave
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 98

loveslave is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website loveslave's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:10 am   Post subject: What is stream ripping? Reply with quote

It's when you save the stream to your computer, so that you can listen to it anytime (as ordinary MP3 files), burn it to CDs, sell it etc. As opposed to just listening to it streaming, like you usually do when listening to Streaming Sondtracks using WinAmp for example. The problem is that it opens up possibilities for illegal stuff, such as selling CDs with original music. I'm not sure if ripping itself is illegal. I'm really no expert on this. Anyone else?
cvb
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 65

cvb is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website cvb's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:22 am   Post subject: What is stream ripping? Reply with quote

It is illegal because essentially it's creating an MP3 from a CD you probably don't own but are just hearing over the radio. Hopefully that makes sense... but the important thing to remember is that this site does monitor potential streamrippers and bans their IP.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:31 pm   Post subject: What is stream ripping? Reply with quote

It's kind of like when you go to the video store and rent something. You're allowed to watch it, but it's illegal to make a copy of the tape to keep. It's copyright infringement.

Plus, there are so many great composers in this world, and I, for one, would like to see them get paid well for all of the beautiful, magical and inspirational songs they compose.

Hope this helps clear it up.
Trilobyte
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 58

Trilobyte is offline View user's profile Send private message Trilobyte's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 3:39 pm   Post subject: What is stream ripping? Reply with quote

It's like how JERIC worded it in the "bans" topic:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana">Originally posted by JERIC:
<strong>It is not illegal to use StreamRippers, etc. But it is illegal to rip webcasts that stream copyright protected material.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana">.
Cadet 1

Member#: 119

Skeptilence is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skeptilence's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:14 pm   Post subject: What is stream ripping? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, you've cleared up my ignorance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: