StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Brilliant Joe Hisaishi (For Alchemist)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:15 pm   Post subject: The Brilliant Joe Hisaishi (For Alchemist) Reply with quote

Alchemist you wanted a Hisaishi discussion thread well here it is!

The man is a genius! I started collecting his music last year when I got an Amazon gift certificate for my birthday. I first started hearing his ST's while watching movies from my favourite anime director Hayao Miyazaki. Soon after learning that Hisaihi did most of Studio Ghibili's music I found this site! The best damn ST site on the planet (Jeric=God)!

Incidentally, I think some of my ST's are pirated after reading your post. I think my Piano Stories are from SM. Usually pirate versions are so crappy that it is easy to spot, but all of my CD's are beautiful, from the jacket all the way to the audio quality.

I don't think it is possible to get any of the old Piano Stories CD's now anyway. They are out of print. So pirate is the only way to go.

Well Alchemist or any of you other Hisaishi nuts please join in!
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you TreeBob! That's surely a nice post Very Happy

I don't really know where to start, so let's start at the beginning Smile

I discovered Hisaishi simultaneously with japanese animation. I must say that I live in a little city in the french alps called Annecy that is organizing an animated film festival for more than forty years now. Back in 1999, I wasn't that much interested by this event as I wasn't an 'animation' fan anyway. You might think I'm going off topic, but well, let's see...

So, it was in 1999. I went to the opening ceremony of the festival because a friend of mine told me of a movie with a weird name, 'Mononoke Hime' or something like that. Frankly, I didn't know what he was talking about, but it was very difficult to get in the theater so I thought it could be something good.

It was an unforgettable experience! I never saw such a movie before: the story was breath taking, and among plenty of other qualities I found the landscapes beautiful.

And I just loved the music. I wanted to buy the CD right after the end of the show, but I didn't find it. The composer, an unknown guy called Joe Hisaishi, was japanese and it was quite difficult to get japanese items back then. I had to wait something like ten months before the soundtrack was released in france while the movie hit the screens.

As a side note, I remember that I found similarities between Horner's Braveheart and Hisaishi's Mononoke Hime. We could do a SST combo by queuing 'The Young Man from the East' and 'For the Love of a Princess'. Would be really great Wink Anyway...

I'm a Hisaishi fan since then. I like Hisaishi's music more and more as I'm listening it. I might post about my favorite albums later...

... as I could write forever on that topic but i have to stop for now Razz

Just a remark, I think you can still find genuine Piano Stories albums. My favorites websites for buying these *very* expensives cds are Nippon Export, YesAsia and CDJapan

That's it for now, might continue later Very Happy
Commander

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Piano Stories 4 from Yes Asia. i really like that site. The music is cheap there. I really like how you can select region country and currency.

My favourite CD presntly is Howl's Moving Castle. My 3 year old sons fav is Princess Mononoke (he listens to it every night when going to sleep).
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the Discovery shuttle is back from its great human adventure, I'd like to share a little anecdote.

Here is an excerpt of the NASA Return to Flight website:

Quote:

Friday, July 29, 2005 – 11:45 p.m. CDT
Mission Control Center, Houston, Texas
STATUS REPORT: STS-114-08

Discovery’s crew was awakened at 10:43 p.m. CDT by the Japanese song "Sanpo," sung by a group of children, including Noguchi's. The Station crew was awakened at 11:09 p.m. CDT by a tone onboard.

Actually, this is the Totoro opening song! Here is some more detailed information:

Quote:

On July 29th the crew of the Space Shuttle Discovery woke to the theme music from My Neighbour Totoro. Preparing for his spacewalk that day, astronaut Soichi Noguchi (40) played a recording of his daughters singing "Sanpo" (Walk), the theme song to Hayao Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro. The recording was made at the Houston Japanese Language School and featured school girls, including Noguchi's daughters, singing the chorus.

Source: Kyodo News & Nausicaa.net

Isn't it cool? Very Happy
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't they just plug in and Play SST for them. come on, how hard is it to do man. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be space walking depressed all day long. Not my ideal way to wake up.
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I can understand that (you'd certainly prefer a goold old Sadame ^^). But you have to know this song is an anthem for nearly all the nursery schools in Japan, so the choice of this song was not really surprising!
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that on the Nausicaa mailing list, pretty cool. Are you a member of the Nausicaa-List Alchemist?
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm, for some years now Smile I even posted one time or two, but that was ages ago Cool

That's a great source of information for all ghibli & Hisaishi fans!
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I read that this morning. Great!

Quote:

If you like to actually hear the space shuttle wake-up call with
Totoro's "Sanpo" song, NASA thoughtfully provides a MP3 or WAV file:

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/gallery/audio/shuttle/sts-114/html/
ndxpage1.html

Specifically, Day 5:

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/gallery/audio/shuttle/sts-114/mp3/fd5.mp3

Enjoy, and congratulations to the crew of the Discovery for her safe
return home!

Source: Nausicaa.Net

Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am memeber as well. I post fom time to time. What do you post as? I am either treebob or James Eakins.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty simple, I post as Alchemist Smile

Hey, what about another cool link? It's in french, sorry for that Surprised

Ghibli News @ Catsuka.Com

(Catsuka is a french website dedicated to animation, including anime and other cool stuff)

The most interesting link is a videoclip featuring Hisaishi performing Howl's Moving Castle main theme.

You'll need Real Alternative or Real Player to watch it, but it worths it!

Here is a direct link for those of you who are not fluent in french (ah bon, ça existe? Very Happy)

Hisaishi Video
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check out the link right now! Did you see the news on the mailing list about Totoro! Sweet eh?
Here is the link http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/studioghibli/studioghiblidvd.html

Just click on "trailer"
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemist wrote:
Pretty simple, I post as Alchemist Smile

Hey, what about another cool link? It's in french, sorry for that Surprised

Ghibli News @ Catsuka.Com

(Catsuka is a french website dedicated to animation, including anime and other cool stuff)

The most interesting link is a videoclip featuring Hisaishi performing Howl's Moving Castle main theme.

You'll need Real Alternative or Real Player to watch it, but it worths it!

Here is a direct link for those of you who are not fluent in french (ah bon, ça existe? Very Happy)

Hisaishi Video

OK I watched, most excellent! I copied it so I could watch it everday. That version is the one on the new Piano Stories 4 CD that just got released. First track.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11288

PomPom is offline View user's profile Send private message PomPom's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

hi !

thank to treebob that gave me the link to this forum !

about the french site, if you have any problem of understanding, i'm here to help you !

Later, i'll post the adress of a french site giving some joe hisaishi' partitions for piano

Last edited by PomPom on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: