StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Main tiltes, etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:51 am   Post subject: Main tiltes, etc Reply with quote

Has anybody given any thought to renaming all the "Main Titles" etc. tracks to be something like Main Titles - $MOVIE_NAME so that they can be played again?

This might be a big job (based on the playlist we got on SSTs birthday) but it could probably be automated in MySQL and/or broken up and done in chunks.

Maybe it'll be fixed upstream as well, though.

jeff
sdg
Denmark Armand
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 7352

Armand is offline View user's profile Send private message Armand's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea....

- Ninomiya Kazunari
(from the song Niji/Rainbow)
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately this is a big job that only Jeric can do, as far as I know.

but it is a solution to the problem.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The other admins can probably help. JERIC was curious and looked op the number of "Main Title" trakcs. This appears to be 594 tracks alone. Dont think it is feasible to implement this.

For the record. JERIC is patiently poking the SAM creators to fix this very amateuristic bug.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that me might be looking for an upstream fix from the SAM folks. I also knew that it might be a big job. However, I also thought that the task might be able to be automated. I've got just a small amount of experience in MySQL and have done simpler automated tasks in the past (usually just updates, though). If I get a chance to do some research I'll report back. I don't expect it's worth the trouble to do it by hand. However, if it can be automated (and even done in such a way that allows it to be easily undone once SAM is fixed) then maybe it's something JERIC will consider.

jeff
sdg
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm open to a automated solution. If people wouldn't select songs that are already in queue this wouldn't be much of an issue.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
If people wouldn't select songs that are already in queue this wouldn't be much of an issue.

I thought the issue was that once a "Main Titles" was played then no other "Main Titles" could be played until the 8 day limit on the first one ran out. What does that have to do with something already in the queue? Is there another problem I'm not aware of or am I confused on the issue?

Also, some info on the MySQL box might be helpful so I can be sure that any solution that I find will work (OS, MySQL version, etc.). Don't post details here, though. Do it via PM or somewhere that the whole world won't see.

jeff
sdg

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is if the song name rules ARE enforced then for example, we cannot request "Main Titles" for 6 months.

The problem is of the song name rules are NOT enforced then people can request the same song over and over until it has played. That means 1 song can be repeated in the queue many times because it hasn't officially played yet.

Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If I follow you right, what you're saying is that SAM marks a song as played when it hits the queue, not when it is actually played. That makes sense to me. Is that related to the "Main Titles" issue, though? Maybe that's where I'm confused.

jeff
sdg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, SAM marks it as played once it hits the history list. The problem is if the rules aren't enforced people can keep requesting stuff that is already in the queue because the song hasn't been officially played.

We have the rules enforced now which causes our current problem of having the song names not requestable in 8 days. We need it to look at the song ID not song name. SAM is lacking this feature and will hopefully be added soon.

Thanks for posting on the SA forums. Smile

Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Which rule is being enforced that keeps people from requesting something already in the queue? How is that related to the "Main Titles" issue? Argh. I'm so confused. (Nothing new here.) Oh well. It's not important that I understand, really. I'm just curious like that (and I suspect that I'm just missing a simple thing).

If I get any time (maybe toward the end of Sept) I'll still give a shot at automating the song title changes in MySQL.

No problem about the SA post. I hope it helps.

jeff
sdg
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think it is an SQL thing. I think sql extracts its info from the ID3 tags. dunno what the behaviour will be.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I think I've confused Cal. I know the problem isn't an SQL thing, but the temorary fix might be.

jeff
sdg
NathanDahlin
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 11314

NathanDahlin is offline View user's profile Send private message NathanDahlin's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had the exact same idea (changing the "Main Titles" track names to include the movie title). Perhaps I still don't understand the situation, either, but is there no way for us to help JERIC manually edit all the tracks? Granted, there are nearly 600 of them, but how long does it take to edit a track? Surely one could do the whole job with just a few hours of work.

Forgive my impatience, but I use to administrate a discussion forum whose tech admin was basically AWOL, so I hate having to wait for someone who may or may not eventually get around to fixing something. My impatience could be unfounded; I just don't know how good the SAM folks are about checking in regularly. How long have you guys been waiting for them to get to this fix?
Caliburn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue has been brought up to them on March 9th. The only response I have seen is
Quote:
I'll see what I can do, but cant promise implementation.
This would have significant effects on core parts of the code.

I still think changing all those track names is not a good idea. I am not into SAM like JERIC so this is just a guess. Changing ID3 tags will probably result in reloading the album in SAM which would mess up our statistics. And hacking in the SQL database should be done as less as possible. JERIC will prolly agree on that with me ;-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: