StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Site slowness, or...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:30 am   Post subject: Site slowness, or... Reply with quote

...ask not what SST can do for you, but what you can do for SST.

I debated on where to post this, and went with the idea forum. I'm sure an admin/mod will move it if there's a more appropriate location.

Instead of offering ideas (I'm pretty sure that the admins have discussed any ideas that I could put forth on the topic) I'm actually soliciting ideas.

What can we, as listeners, do to help with the slowness of the site?

I'm looking for ideas like running undocked chat (or SST Lite, such as it is) instead of the full site, or using a particular stream over another.

Even a temporary solution like not running the queue page until other fixes are in place are fine. I've got no problem making a temporary (or even longer term if needed) sacrifice for the greater good.

Anything we can do to help out.

Of course, donating money to help with the construction of a bigger/better/faster/etc SST server would probably help a lot too.

Let me/us know what I/we can do.

jeff
sdg
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

We're working on a solution to get the web hosting moved into the same rack as the SAM server. Web hosting is in Califronia and SAM is in Virginia. This is not ideal. We want as little distance in between without being hosted on the same box. We tried that and it wasn't the best situation.

I would really like to build the same machine I built for SAM so it can handle the webhosting without a hitch but I just don't have another $2200 to drop. We're thinking of moving the web into another server inside our rack but I'd rather just have a dedicated box for the website. The improvement would be astounding but how we'll get there is the hard part. I've been scoping eBay for some 1U rackmounts but even just a couple hundred dollars is hard to swallow after the huge chunk of crash I already threw down.

Unfortanately there is no short term solution.

Thanks for brining this up j2. I know this is a problem and I'm trying my hardest to resolve it.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response JERIC. I hope that your (or anybody else) didn't think I was commenting negatively on the slowness. I hope we're all aware of how hard you're working and how much you put into this site.

Again, let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Also, if you let me know what kind of hardware you're looking for (minimum specs, etc.) I can keep an eye out for something useful. Either here, IM, or email.

jeff
sdg
Poland Albi VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5692

Albi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Albi's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we have an SST member that can get an old or used rack from his/her company and donate it to SST...
USA workervr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10921

workervr is offline View user's profile Send private message View workervr's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

you could post another pay pal link for donations for the enhancements... I know quite a few would not mind a one time extra donation in order to help with upgrade.

Rebecca

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking for more money is a bit difficult for me.

I will build a virtual box to get the total cost then post it here so people can see what the goal is.

This will most likely be a FreeBSD box so I won't have to drop a lot of cash on a M$ OS.

Newegg Gift Certificates may be the way to go. That would avoid any PayPal overhead.

Thanks for the Ideas guys.

USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

WORKERVR wrote:
you could post another .. link for donations for the enhancements. I know quite a few would not mind a one time extra donation in order to help with upgrade.

JERIC wrote:
Newegg Gift Certificates may be the way to go.

Terrific suggestion, Worker. That was my first thought, too, but I sensed that Jeric didn't want to ask people for $$ help again. Even though money is tight for many (especially this time of year), having a place where we could build up a fund for new hardware for SST would be the solution. It would be heaven to have the site running at full speed. Smile

With all the hours a week we spend enjoying SST, it's the least we can do. Hopefully news of the kitty will spread by word-of-mouth and those who can help, will... and those that can't won't feel any pressure.

It's also nice to know the specific hardware you're looking for, Jeric. You never know what might turn up via networking with all the techies here at SST.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I compiled a quick, worst case wish list scenario on Newgg.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1716522&WishListTitle=WEB+SERVER

Some might think it's overkill but it's something that will last for years and won't have to worry about taking it down to upgrade or perform maintenance.

Is anyone else interested in contributing toward this?

USA workervr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10921

workervr is offline View user's profile Send private message View workervr's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dibbies on the corsair whatcha macall it! Smile let me know how to process for 300 bucks, and thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. Your site provides me with much enjoyment. I know many others will feel the same way
Becca
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
I compiled a quick, worst case wish list scenario on Newegg... Is anyone else interested in contributing toward this?

I'll start off with one of the WD hard drives.
Jeric, please let us know the details on how to apply the Newegg gift certificate to your account.
Woo hooo... it's exciting to think about a faster SST. Smile

btw - Would having the web hosting in VA save money, too?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Once built this will be hosted in VA for very little money (if any) but it won't save much money like the streaming server is. However, once the web is transferred from CA to VA, I anticipate a significant increase in ad revenue. More people will be have the patience to experience the site during peak times.

If more people are interested I will post instructions on how to contribute toward this.

You guys are so awesome! If we go ahead on this, this time I will take picutres of the building process and post it in the gallery.

Stonehands
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 9214

Stonehands is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Stonehands's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a great cause. I'll donate for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, did more research and decided to build my first Intel box. For $600-700 cheaper and is still a significant upgrade from the current webserver, this is a no-brainer.

Here is the link:
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1717985&WishListTitle=Web+Server+64%2Dbit+%28Intel+P4%29

You may send a NewEgg Gift Certificate to jeric(AT)streamingsoundtracks(DOT)com by visiting:
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/GiftCertificate/GiftCertificate.asp

- You can only use a Visa
- The minumum is $5.
- You need a NewEgg account.

If it is inconvenient for you contribute through NewEgg it's really no problem. Just go ahead and use the usual PayPal.

Last edited by JERIC on Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind about NewEgg. It's too much of a hassle. Please just use the donation meter. I will increase it to include purchase of the new server.

Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
This will most likely be a FreeBSD box so I won't have to drop a lot of cash on a M$ OS.

I don't know what makes me happier, this or the fact that you guys are stepping up and helping out.

An extra super duper thanks to the Anonymous $1K donator.

jeff
sdg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: