StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

My Personal Playlist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9061

Rogue is offline View user's profile Send private message Rogue's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten more:

Once Upon a Time in the West (1969) – Ennio Morricone (sweeping and gorgeous score makes its second appearance here)

Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) – David Arnold (not as good as some of Arnold’s work, but worthwhile)

Spellbound (1976) – Miklos Rozsa (this one makes its seventh appearance here)

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) – Alex North (landmark jazz score makes its second appearance here)

Vertigo (1959) – Bernard Hermann (what remains, in my opinion, Hermann’s finest score)

25th Hour (2002) – Terence Blanchard (I really want to get familiar with this one)
The Untouchables (1987) – Ennio Morricone (great, great film and a great score from a legend)

King Kong (1933) – Max Steiner (brilliant Steiner score makes its second appearance here)

Vertigo (1958) – Bernard Hermann (Hermann’s finest makes its second appearance here)

Vertigo (1958) – Bernard Hermann (I think this is the only album that I schedule back to back requests from . . . maybe the only album that deserves it)

Nothing has changed as regards our first and second place winners.
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rogue is offline View user's profile Send private message Rogue's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten more:

The Godfather (1972) – Nino Rota (magnificent score makes its second appearance here)

The Village (2004) – James Newton Howard (Night’s weakest film to date ironically allowed Howard to produce his strongest score to date)

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) – Erich Wolfgang Korngold (rousing swashbuckler makes its second appearance here)

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) – Ennio Morricone (the score that truly made Morricone an international superstar and rightly so)

Psycho (1960) – Bernard Hermann (stark, gorgeous score makes its third appearance here)

The Magnificent Seven (1960) – Elmer Bernstein (one of the finest western scores ever makes its third appearance here)

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961) – Henry Mancini (fantastic score makes its second appearance)

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) – Various (one of the finest classical compilation soundtracks ever)

On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969) – John Barry (Barry truly reached new heights with this masterpiece, the finest Bond score and Barry’s best of the decade)

Purple Rain (1984) – Prince (a true musical genius contributes a typically outstanding album)

Once again, nothing has changed for our leaders, Williams and Goldsmith.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me interrupting Rogue and let me insert here somebody else's "playlist" Wink to make this thread even more helpful for STs fans, I hope

"American Film Institute (AFI) revealed the top 25 film scores of all time in The Big Picture-AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores"

(...)

"The Honorees Are ...

FILM TITLE / YEAR / COMPOSER

1 STAR WARS EPISODE IV:A NEW HOPE 1977 John Williams
2 GONE WITH THE WIND 1939 Max Steiner
3 LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 1962 Maurice Jarre
4 PSYCHO 1960 Bernard Herrmann
5 GODFATHER, THE 1972 Nino Rota
6 JAWS 1975 John Williams
7 LAURA 1944 David Raksin
8 THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN 1960 Elmer Bernstein
9 CHINATOWN 1974 Jerry Goldsmith
10 HIGH NOON 1952 Dimitri Tiomkin
11 THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD 1938 Erich Wolfgang Korngold
12 VERTIGO 1958 Bernard Herrmann
13 KING KONG 1933 Max Steiner
14 E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL 1982 John Williams
15 OUT OF AFRICA 1985 John Barry
16 SUNSET BLVD. 1950 Franz Waxman
17 TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD 1962 Elmer Bernstein
18 PLANET OF THE APES 1968 Jerry Goldsmith
19 A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE 1951 Alex North
20 THE PINK PANTHER 1964 Henry Mancini
21 BEN-HUR 1959 Miklos Rozsa
22 ON THE WATERFRONT 1954 Leonard Bernstein
23 THE MISSION 1986 Ennio Morricone
24 ON GOLDEN POND 1981 Dave Grusin
25 HOW THE WEST WAS WON 1962 Alfred Newman

source
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a fascinating list, flawed as usual, but interesting.

Main problems I have with it:

Vertigo is about five times better than Psycho.

and

The Mission should be in the top five, not the top twenty-five.

But, diff'rent strokes. Wink

Ten more:

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) – Alex North (another fabulous score from a master)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) – Jerry Goldsmith (iconic and haunting Goldsmith score makes its second appearance here)

The Godfather (1972) – Nino Rota (landmark score makes its third appearance here)

The Wind and the Lion (1975) – Jerry Goldsmith (this has been a recent addition . . . I really want to get more familiar with this one)

The Empire Strikes Back (1980) – John Williams (maybe Williams’ masterwork, certainly the finest score of the decade)

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) – Elmer Bernstein (amazing score makes its third appearance here)

The Wizard of Oz (1939) – Various (moments of brilliance backed up against moments of pure camp . . . as entertaining as it is ridiculous)

The Wizard of Oz (1939) – Various (due to the proliferation of incredibly short tracks on this album, I generally schedule back to back requests from it)

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) – Maurice Jarre (epic and sweeping score makes its third appearance here)

West Side Story (1961) – Various (one of the finest musicals of film, rousing and jazzy)

Okay, things are heating up even as we head into the final post next time. Goldsmith leapt up to 18, almost catching Williams but Williams managed to step up a notch as well, leaving him at 20.

And next time . . . the final post in my rotation!
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My last post!

Kings Row (1942) – Erich Wolfgang Korngold (who would have guessed that the man known for swashbucklers would create his finest score for a low key modern day drama?)

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) – Bernard Hermann (haunting and unforgettable score makes its second appearance here)

The Sound of Music (1965) – Various (another one of my “campy” picks . . . so bad it’s good)

Wyatt Earp (1994) – James Newton Howard (not as familiar with this one as I need to be)

Tomorrow I’m out of pocket, but Friday I’ll post the final and complete roster of all the composers represented here in their rankings.
Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here are the final statistics on how many times the different artists appeared:

20 TIMES:

Williams, John

18 TIMES:

Goldsmith, Jerry

13 TIMES:

Bernstein, Elmer
Hermann, Bernard

12 TIMES:

Barry, John

11 TIMES:

Rozsa, Miklos

9 TIMES:

Tiomkin, Dimitri

8 TIMES:

Horner, James
Morricone, Ennio

6 TIMES:

Elfman, Danny
Korngold, Erich Wolfgang
North, Alex

5 TIMES:

Jarre, Maurice
Mancini, Henry

4 TIMES:

Waxman, Franz
Zimmer, Hans

3 TIMES:

Doyle, Patrick
Goldenthal, Elliot
Howard, James Newton
Isham, Mark
Moross, Jerome
Newman, Randy
Newman, Thomas
Portman, Rachel
Rota, Nino
Steiner, Max
Vangelis

2 TIMES:

Arnold, David
Arnold, Malcolm
Ashman, Howard
Broughton, Bruce
Burwell, Carter
Conti, Bill
Delerue, Georges
Ellington, Duke
Kamen, Michael
Menken, Alan
Morey, Larry
Morodor, Giorgio
Newman, Alfred
Newman, David
Nyman, Michael
Poledouris, Basil
Shaiman, Marc
Shore, Howard
Young, Christopher

1 TIME:

Badalamenti, Angelo
Bennett, Richard Rodney
Blanchard, Terence
Brion, Jon
Carpenter, John
Churchill, Frank
Coppola, Carmine
Debney, John
Donaggio, Pino
Dun, Tan
Edelman, Randy
Fenton, George
Glass, Philip
Hamlisch, Marvin
Jones, Quincy
Jones, Trevor
Joplin, Scott
Kilar, Wojciech
Lai, Francis
Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus
Myers, Stanley
O’Brien, Richard
Prince
Prokofiev, Sergei
Robbins, Richard
Sakamoto, Ryuichi
Schifrin, Lalo
Shire, David
Silvestri, Alan
Warbeck, Stephen
Williams, Ralph Vaughan
Wilson, Meredith
Yared, Gabriel
Young, Victor

I think what I was really aiming for with that rotation was a completeness of sorts (though of course there are a lot of people that are missing entirely), a sort of primer on great composers/soundtracks. I think I heard someone in the chat say once that they just tried to keep the queue “representative.” I think that’s what I’m trying to do too. Time spent on all the great scores, whether written by a new voice in composition or a classic voice from the golden age of cinema.

I went through and counted . . . I count my rotation as being 257 steps long. Some of those (quite a lot in fact) are repeats. The album I think I request the most from is one of the newest to the library: The Alamo: Film Music of Dimitri Tiomkin, which I request from eight times in a single rotation.

Anyway, the end. Smile
USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue's list inspired me to create my own. So here is the unofficial personal playlist (in no particular order) of Johnny_Cage. This is not necessarily the only music I enjoy, just the albums that I like to hear/request the most often.

King Arthur (2004) - Hans Zimmer: A much better score than the movie deserved. Gotta love those drums.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) - Danny Elfman: Elfman continues to prove his brilliance by adding a modern twist to Roald Dahl's lyrics and a memorable theme as well.

National Treasure (2004) - Trevor Rabin: This is one of the scores that helped inspire me to expand my collection. It has something for everyone.

The Indiana Jones Trilogy - John Williams: There's a reason why these scores are among the most recognizable in the world. They are darn, darn, good.

Order of Favorites:

(1) Temple of Doom (1984)
(2) Last Crusade (1989)
(3) Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

The Rocky Films - Bill Conti, Vince DiCola, and others: They always put me in a good mood.

Order of Favorites:

(1) Rocky IV
(2) Rocky
(3) Rocky III
(4) Rocky II

The Batman Films: Elfman became a household name for his legendary theme, Goldenthal was a worthy substitiute, and Zimmer and Howard gave new life to the franchise.

Order of Favorites:

(1)Batman Returns
(2)Batman
(3)Batman Begins
(4)Batman Forever

Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) - Klaus Badelt: Regardless of how it was put together, this soundtrack is tons of fun.

The Time Machine (2002) - Klaus Badelt: This is the score that instantly turned me into a fan of Badelt. An absolute gem.

The NeverEnding Story (1984) - Giorgio Moroder and Klaus Doldinger: Many memorable tracks found here that are great for the spirit.

The NeverEnding Story 2: The Next Chapter (1989) - Giorgio Moroder and Robert Folk: An underrated soundtrack that deserves more credit. Folk's "Searching for Fantasia" never fails to move me.

Soul Calibur (1999): Terrific videogame soundtrack taking full advantage of the orchestra.

Soul Calibur 2 (2003): Even better than the first.

The Lord of the Ring Trilogy - Howard Shore: While I don't particularly care for the movies, I enjoy Shore's music a whole lot.

Order of Favorites:

(1) The Two Towers
(2) The Fellowship of the Ring
(3) The Return of the King

Labyrinth (1986) - Trevor Jones and David Bowie: What's there to say? It's Trevor Jones and David Bowie. How can you possibly go wrong with a combination like that?

Mortal Kombat (1995) - George S. Clinton: Well, don't act so surprised.

Shenmue OST and Orchestra Version (2000) - Yuzo Koshiro: The best videogame soundtrack ever. That's right. EVER.

The Last of the Mohicans (1992) - Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman: As much as I love this score (and with all due respect to Mr. Edelman), I often wonder how different it might've been if Jones had stayed on throughout the entire project rather than leaving mid-way through.

Peter Pan (2003) - James Newton Howard: A JNH masterpiece that always brings out the child in me.

The Back to the Future Trilogy - Alan Silvestri: The ultimate adventure music.

Order of Favorites:

(1) BTTF 3
(2) BTTF
(3) BTTF 2

The Rescuers Down Under (1990) - Bruce Broughton: An often overlooked score with some exciting tunes.

Free Willy (1993) - Basil Poledouris: My favorite Poledouris score. The music combines the emotion of friendship, drama, cliffhangers, and the ocean all in one terrific package.

Hook (1991) - John Williams: Love or hate the movie. But you can't deny that Williams' score is awesome.

More to be added later.[/u]
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."

Last edited by Johnny_Cage on Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:34 am; edited 3 times in total
Francel
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 7814

Francel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Francel's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little sidenote about Last of the Mohicans.

If Trevor had stayed throughout the whole film, you'd probably listen to exactly the same thing, since he scored all the sections he believed needed music and Michael Mann didn't agree with that. That's exactly why he left. Smile
Commander

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Francel wrote:
Just a little sidenote about Last of the Mohicans.

If Trevor had stayed throughout the whole film, you'd probably listen to exactly the same thing, since he scored all the sections he believed needed music and Michael Mann didn't agree with that. That's exactly why he left. Smile

Oh. Thanks, Francel. I guess I don't have to wonder anymore. Smile

Here's ten more albums.

The Star Wars Trilogy - John Williams: If you look up the word "epic" in the SST dictionary, you'd find these album covers right beside it.

Order of Favorites:

(1) Revenge of the Sith
(2) Return of the Jedi
(3) Attack of the Clones
(4) A New Hope
(5) The Phantom Menace
(6) The Empire Strikes Back

Cutthroat Island (1995) - John Debney: Awesome awesome stuff.

Angels in the Outfield - Randy Edelman: Move over, "Chariots of Fire". Edelman has you beat.

Anaconda - Randy Edelman: Haunting and beautiful at the same time.

Beauty and the Beast (1994) - Alan Menken: One of the best albums Disney ever produced.

Pocahontas (1995) - Alan Menken: This one isn't bad ethier.

Toy Story: Nor is this.

Fable (2004): - Danny Elfman & Russell Shaw Everything an adventure game soundtrack should be. Great emotion.

Drop Zone (1994) - Hans Zimmer: Very exciting music.

Muppet Treasure Island (1995): A guilty pleasure of mine. Some of the tunes are addictive.
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jade Empire: Like game music with a Chinese flavor? Then give this one a shot.

The Muppet Christmas Carol: - 1992 Another guilty pleasure. I used to have these songs memorized, believe it or not.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Films: I tried, but I couldn't figure out how to write a description without using the word "cool" somehow. Forgive me.

Order of Favorites:

(1) TMNT 3
(2) TMNT
(3) TMNT 2

Dracula Battle Perfect Selection 1 & 2: A lot of people think these albums are terrible. I am not one of them.

Castlevania: Dracula New Classic For when I'm in the mood for lighter Castlevania tunes.

Small Soldiers: - 1998 - (Jerry Goldsmith) I challenge you to listen to "Assembly Line" without getting the theme stuck in your head for the week.

Cliffhanger: - 1993 - (Trevor Jones) A terrific main theme with good action and drama cues to round things up.

Dinotopia: - 2002 - (Trevor Jones) Overlooked album. Contains some great themes that place you right in the story.

The Last Starfighter: - 1984) Have you ever heard music that was so great that it made you feel like dropping everything and dedicating the rest of your life to peace, justice, and saving the world? Me nethier. But this album was the closest to that ever happening for me.

First Strike & Rumble in the Bronx: - (J. Peter Robinson) Fast, stealthy, and full of energy. Just like Jackie Chan himself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: