StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Techno Artist Moby Pledges Support to Help Net Radio Survive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Morg VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 57

Morg is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Morg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:57 pm   Post subject: Techno Artist Moby Pledges Support to Help Net Radio Survive Reply with quote

BY PAUL MALONEY
Webcasters may have found their first high-profile ally among artists in their struggle against the sound recording royalty rates.

Techno/electronica star Moby, whose music has been released in the U.S. by recording labels V2, Elektra, and Instinct, expressed his support of Internet radio and his anger towards the RIAA for trying to shut it down.

The comments appear in the musician's online journal from July 22. Moby posts his journal on his website here.

Referring to the CARP panel recommendation and subsequent determination by the Librarian of Congress on the rates, Moby writes, "I would like to lend my support to the cause of repealing this unnecessary and ass-backwards piece of legislation."

"What does the RIAA hope to accomplish by forcing hundreds of wonderful Internet radio stations to shut down?" he wonders. "And why is the RIAA even involved in the world of Internet-radio?..For the life of me I can't see any wisdom or justification in passing an arbitrary law that will only serve to shut down a lot of really cool and vital Internet radio stations."

Moby (left), recognizing the promotional power webcasters offer for music under-served by what he calls "conservative," "bland," and "homogenous" commercial broadcasters, says Net radio's role is "vital" in exposing "new and unconventional music."

The RIAA has often characterized their efforts to collect royalties from webcasters as being in the interest of the artists (the DMCA requires that the royalties, after SoundExchange administration costs, be split 50-50 between copyright owners -- most often the labels -- and artists).

Yet artists' displeasure with the recording industry -- from alleged underpayment of royalties to one-sided contracts that artists say hold them in "indentured servitude" to their recording companies -- is well-documented. Given this, some webcasters had hoped to gain sympathy from artists for whom Internet play may be their best promotion.

And while there has been some show of support from artists for music on the Internet in general (most notably from Janis Ian here and here), webcasters had yet to find a high-profile artist willing to stand up for Internet radio specifically.

Moby closes the journal entry with an entertaining (and insightful) quote from Broadcast.com founder and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban: "There is no law against an industry being stupid and killing off their customer base as the music industry is doing. The vast majority of (Internet radio) stations will either shut down or move to Canada or overseas."

RAIN was still awaiting comment from Moby or his management for this article at press time.

Special thanks to RAIN reader and Moby fan James Hughes of Esponsive Communications for the tip.

quote:

From the Moby Tour Diary:

US Internet Radio - RIP?
7/22/2002 - Atlanta

so at this point i'm sure that most of you know that on June 20th a copyright appeals board passed a law that will essentially make it impossible for most web-based radio stations to stay in business.
as far as i know, this law was sponsored and promoted by the RIAA (recording industry association of america).
i shouldn't write this update, because i'm really pissed off. what does the RIAA hope to accomplish by forcing hundreds of wonderful internet radio stations to shut down?
and why is the RIAA even involved in the world of internet-radio? isn't the public performance and broadcast of music something that's covered by publishing?
i shouldn't post this update, seeing as it's not in any musicians best interests to piss off the RIAA, but for the life of me I can't see any wisdom or justification in passing an arbitrary law that will only serve to shut down a lot of really cool and vital internet radio stations.
if possible, i would like to lend my support to the cause of repealing this unneccessary and ass-backwards piece of legislation. for as commercial radio becomes more and more conservative, internet based radio serves an ever more vital role in exposing people to new and unconventional music.
shutting down internet radio stations just ensures that music in america will become more bland and more homogenous.
i would like to end this update by quoting Mark Cuban, founder of Broadcast.com:
"There is no law against an industry being stupid and killing off their customer base as the music industry is doing. The vast majority of (internet radio) stations will either shut down or move to Canada or overseas."
moby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: