StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Serenity Reviews
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:44 pm   Post subject: Serenity Reviews Reply with quote

I thought the trailer looked kind of stupid, but I owed my boyfriend a movie, so I treated him since it's the kind of sci-fi action flick he goes for. I had seen a couple of Firefly TV episodes but thought the pacing was kind of slow so I never got into it.

The bare bones plot is that Capt. Malcolm Reynolds and his spacecrew are transporting a mysterious woman and her brother who know more than they should, so the Alliance government sends the military after them. Mal has to wrestle with his conscience whether he should protect the woman and discover why the Alliance is trying so hard to find her.

To my surprise, the film was much better than I expected, with some fun quips in the Buffy/Angel style, decent spaceship flying effects, and nice emotional development of Mal's character. I was happy to see the original TV cast return as well. I recommend it!
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll probably see this film anyway. seen the series but dont get why lots of people think its great. lost is the daddy show of them 'em Razz

i think joss whendon writes good films (titan ae, alien ressurection) so ill give this a look as well.
USA Maeltne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 6602

Maeltne is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Maeltne's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Serenity was refreshing, the opening ship's-interior sequence looked like an ER scene on steriods using one camera with one, long take. The special effects were stunning - and everyone likes a female badass! Boy, she was bad with a capital 'OH Yeah!'

Love ya!
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 124

Trinity3777 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Trinity3777's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a cheap rip off of Star Wars; however, i can be somewhat skeptical. What do you think? Is it really worth seeing in the theatres?
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was worth seeing in the theaters if you like Joss Whedon's TV shows and flippant humor. Despite characterizations of Mal and his crew as Han Solo wannabes, I think the interplay between Mal and the Alliance assassin showed that the characters were more unpredictable and morally ambiguous than the Star Wars dark/light side dichotomy. Even Orson Scott Card raved about the film, and although I wouldn't go that far, I did find it entertaining.
USA Trinity3777
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 124

Trinity3777 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Trinity3777's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zir - I'll most likely check it out then. I've read all the good reviews, but for some reason I still didn't want to give it a chance. However, if it's entertaining than I'll give er a whirl. Thanks again Smile
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

For anybody wondering...

DVD comes out Tuesday, December 20. Oh, I intend on getting myself a copy, and showing friends what it's all about. Mr. Green

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Serenity was the best movie I'd seen this year! I highly recommend it to anyone. My brother went with me and he thought it was amazing (He has never seen the show). It had amazing writing, humor, and great fx. I can't wait until it comes out becasue I am definetly picking up a copy.

Last edited by TreeBob on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
USSR the_lake_effect
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

While shopping for presents, I decided to get myself that copy of Serenity. Apparently I wasn't paying attention and I bought the FULL SCREEN version.

I originally saw the movie with my cousin back in October, and we thought it was awesome. Wouldn't you know it... he got me the WIDE SCREEN version for Christmas. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Why can't they all just put full screen and wide screen in one package? Most make 2 disc packages anyway...

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a company will do that. You just have to flip the DVD over and voila!

Any good special features on the DVD? I hate full screen versions.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 2714

soundTrack_nut is offline View user's profile Send private message soundTrack_nut's Favorites are Private
AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

the_lake_effect wrote:
I originally saw the movie with my cousin back in October, and we thought it was awesome. Wouldn't you know it... he got me the WIDE SCREEN version for Christmas. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I remember a few years back I remember some company making that possible. The dvd would just pan back and foward and cut stuff off from the widescreen version to fit the TV. For some reason nobody ever implemented it on dvd though.

I liked the show a lot but I thought the movie was just okay. Nothing really gret but still prety good.
Returning January - SciFi Channel
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I missed out on chiming in on this one when the movie (and the DVD) came out, but I've got to say that both the TV show and the movie rocked. I still can't believe that Fox cancelled this one. It has been a long time since a show came up with such a compelling bunch of characters.
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurr, my wife was dead set against watching it, but i few times I was watching while she was on the computer and she got hooked. She thinks it is one of the best shows made.

The outtakes on the DVD are some of the funniest of have ever seen!
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

TreeBob wrote:
Serenity was the best movie I'd seen this year!

Tree, I am kicking myself for not seeing it on the big screen. SO many people said, "You must see Serenity!"

Now I own it and the set of Firefly on DVD. Absolutely love them. We've started watching Firefly over again. Whenever we have weekend guests, we show them a couple episodes and they're hooked for life! mwwuuhaahaa Twisted Evil
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i feel evil doing it but I have hooked a couple people at work as well. We must keep the show alive!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: