StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Composer Commentaries on DVD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:42 pm   Post subject: Composer Commentaries on DVD Reply with quote

(If this is already in the forums, I apologize.. couldn't find it.)

It would be great to have a list of movies on DVD that have a Special Feature where the composer talks about the score. There are many DVDs that have isolated scores with composer commentary voice-over, and those would be good to have in the list as well.

But I am talking about Special Features where the composer is on camera discussing the score, along with shots of the scoring session. Second choice would be features where the Director and/or Producer discuss the composer and score.

Could you please post:
1) The specific title of the DVD (such as Star Trek-First Contact, Special Collector’s Edition)
2) A description of what the feature contains, and
3) Approximately how long it is (if known).

Many thanks! Looking forward to having this list to take to the video store. Smile
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nice one on my Tomb Raider : Cradle of Life DVD. A nice interview with Alan.

Same with my Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas DVD
Patje
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 482

Patje is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Patje's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord of the Rings Extended Version has an interview with Howard Shore.
I can't remember if it was on the Return Of The King or on Fellowship. I thought it was on the blue one (Part III).
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we used to have the Commentary on the Gladiator soundtrack. I'm not sure if it is still on SST, but I remember hearing it a few months ago.
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread idea, Twopop. I'll edit and add to this page as I discover more titles and details.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith: Interview with John Williams. Approximately ten minutes. Includes footage of the London Symphony Orchestra recording and performing "Battle of the Heroes".

Batman - Two-Disc Special Edition: Interview with Danny Elfman. Approximately five minutes.

Batman Returns - Two-Disc Special Edition: Another interview with Danny Elfman. This one is more in-depth, runs approximately ten minutes, and includes footage of Elfman in his recording studio. Very cool feature.

Rush Hour - New Line Platinum Edition: Isolated music score with commentary by composer Lalo Schiffrin. Approximately ninety minutes.

Dinotopia: Interview with Trevor Jones. Approximately ten minutes. Pretty in-depth and includes footage of the orchestra recording.

Back to the Future: Short clip of Alan Silvestri preparing to score the film's music. Approximately one minute.

Labyrinth: Footage of David Bowie in the recording studio. Approximately five minutes.
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
Norway Muriel VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This information is only what's written on the back of my covers, and is only from the first two screen lenghts of my DVD collection. More might follow later Smile

Aladdin - 2 Disc Special Edition: 'Alan Menken - Renaissance Man': a featurette focusing on composer Alan Menken (20 mins)

Bad Boys: Isolated Score

Beetlejuice: Alternative Music Audio Track

Bourne Supremacy, The: 'Scoring With Composer John Powell' featurette

Bug's Life, A - Collectors Edition: Isolated music track

Catch Me If You Can - 2 Disc Special Edition: Scoring: "Catch Me If You Can"

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - Special Edition: Isolated Score with Commentary by Composer Elliot Goldenthal

EDIT: Added more movies.

Last edited by Muriel on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome lists! Thank you all so much!
I have a personal Excel DB started from your suggestions, and am really looking forward to seeing them. Very Happy
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we can make this into a section of SST? What do you think?

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USSR the_lake_effect
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC, that sounds like an excellent idea. I remember when someone would request a commentary and people were all confused asking, "is this a track, or what?"

Just imagine what a commentary on Gigli would sound like...
John Powell: So I wondered what kind of music would tell us, "Jennifer Lopez is playing a lesbian love interest of Ben Affleck."

On second thought, we probably don't need to know about that, but the other commentaries should sound very interesting. Smile

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Two, I checked my Gladiator DVD and it does have the commentary from Han Zimmer(not just the ST) Very Happy

Awesome idea JERIC!!!! Very Happy
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:

Indeed. Good idea!
But then the list of DVDs should have a bit more information than just the title, like a kind of an ISBN number (I know DVDs don't have ISBN's, but they have some other similar numbering system).
A DVD can come from different sources, yet still be named the same even though they do not contain the same bonus material.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler wrote:
JERIC wrote:

Indeed. Good idea!
But then the list of DVDs should have a bit more information than just the title, like a kind of an ISBN number (I know DVDs don't have ISBN's, but they have some other similar numbering system).
A DVD can come from different sources, yet still be named the same even though they do not contain the same bonus material.

I was thinking of Amazon's ASIN. That's what brings everything (cover art, ratings, future reviews, etc.) together at SST.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Norway Muriel VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Unsure about the compability of that. I know I have several DVDs that are not at Amazon.
I'll check my DVDs when I get back home to see if they have some sort of unique identificator.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for it (of course). With better visibility, the topic is bound to get more hits. Undoubtedly there will be many more DVDs released in the future with composer and score special features. Smile
USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a new one a few days ago.

Corpse Bride: A featurette titled "Danny Elfman Interprets the Two Worlds". Contains an interview with Elfman, comments from Tim Burton, and footage of the studio and orchestra working on the score. Approximately five minutes in length.
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: