StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Voting method suggestions for Best of SST?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:18 am   Post subject: Voting method suggestions for Best of SST? Reply with quote

I was wondering if the admins would consider changing their nomination/voting procedures for the Best of SST soundtracks contest in the future. Although I understand that it is easiest for Jeric to narrow down the selections from what members suggest, perhaps there are other ways to do it. Do folks have any other constructive suggestions?

I thought about a 2 step voting process, where we members suggest scores in the forum, then the admins as a group decide on 10 scores from the forum suggestions. The 10 scores get listed as a preliminary poll, then the members have 2 weeks to vote on their favorite, then the top 5 scores get played. Then in the final poll we could vote on the winner.

Along with the winner, Jeric could post his top five favorite scores as a separate announcement on the home page, kind of like an editor's choice award.

This probably would take more time to do, but it might make the listeners feel more represented. Now, I know people are gonna say this isn't a friggin' democracy, but maybe the admins can consider parts of the suggestions offered here.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:46 pm   Post subject: Re: Voting method suggestions for Best of SST? Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
.. but it might make the listeners feel more represented.
Excellent suggestions, Zir. Looking into it. Smile
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we can use playback stats (most requested) or something as a guide. Normally I would have suggested using that for the initial list, but a certain organization and their rules have eliminated the usefulness of that.

jeff
sdg
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking into this. Yeah, it would be easiest if you could find out statistically which scores from this year were the most played to help make the decision.

It's too bad there's no time to tabulate nominees from individual members, although you could randomly select a group from the SST membership list that you could PM or email. These members would each submit their 5 best scores to a designated admin, then you could count which 5 scores appear the most.

Another alternative is that the admins could review the forum suggestions put forth by members. Then the admins could have their own internal poll where they submit their top 5 soundtracks to a trusted member who tabulates the scores with the most votes to narrow it down to the 5 that play. If scores are tied with the same number of votes, the tiebreaker could be done randomly or with Jeric's input. At least if the admins select the scores as a group, you all can present a united front and we won't know who specifically selected what. Also, the admins represent a cross-section of members' tastes and listen to many scores since they are here a lot.

I hope more people chime in or else you can't complain if "I'm a Green Chicken" is selected as the best soundtrack of the year. Laughing
USSR the_lake_effect
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the candidates should be chosen according to a list of assorted criteria, namely from the ones already pointed out. Something like...

- high playback stats
- high rating
- random polling

And you can bet Pollo Verde is getting my vote.

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
you can't complain if "I'm a Green Chicken" is selected as the best soundtrack of the year.
the_lake_effect wrote:
And you can bet Pollo Verde is getting my vote.

Laughing Laughing You two are hilarious!!

Zir, your suggestions are excellent. We appreciate the thought you have put into this, and rest assured that your ideas are being seriously considered. Thanks so much.
Anybody else want to weigh in on this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: