StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Serenity Reviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have gotten friends and family hooked on Firefly/Serenity.

Joss Whedon has said that he will never make another season of Firefly, but he is open to making another TV show set in the same universe, presumably with some of the same characters. I very rarely buy TV shows on DVD, but I bought both Firefly and Serenity because I know very well that nothing speaks louder to movie companies than cold, hard cash. Buying them is kind of like voting in an election... one vote isn't all that much, but if enough of us feel strongly enough to put down the money, we'll get more stories.

My perception is that the show is still gaining in popularity, spurred on somewhat by the film. Word of mouth is spreading at a lazy but steady pace. I suspect we haven't seen the last of Mal Reynolds and the gang. Smile
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I could go for another show but it has to have most of (if not all) of the characters. I fell in love them and there story is not finished. I mean that in every aspect.
Cadet 4

Member#: 11720

noahsaly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail noahsaly's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Treebob, after seeing and hearing all the music on this forum. I decided to have a rental of it.

This movie was BAD, it was as bad as any of the pitch black vin diesel movies. It lacked character developement, a good story, and talented actors. Granted the girl was beautiful, and frail, but it was not a good rental. I want my time and money back.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's no accounting for taste.

Still, you make some pretty sweeping statements there, Noahsaly, that make me suspect that you're either just trying to be polemical, or you just love to hate.
noahsaly
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

noahsaly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail noahsaly's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

no, I do love movies. I enjoy a nice story, I enjoy character developement. On the other side of the token I do love a nice a** whoopin movie.

for example The Chronicles of Riddick

I thought. "Wow I like Vin Diesel movies, this sounds like a great start to a series" I semi enjoyed Pitch Black because the special effects were tight.
So I went with a buddy to see The Chronicles of Riddick and left asking myself. If I have to sit and try to figure what a necromonger was let alone are they dead or real or who was what. Needless to say I was very dissapointed. I even tried renting it again to TRY and understand the story. No luck
I admit some movies dont need character developement to have an action hero go and kick the living be-jezus out of someone. But if you plan on making an epic movie series, I would help if you had A: a story and B: a script
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

noahsaly, what are you smoking? It's fine that you don't like the movie but BAD?? My wife watched the movie (before seeing the series) and she thought the character development was great.
Spoiler:
She didn't have the emotional feeling when Wash died like I did, but that's only because she hadn't seen the series.

What exactly was wrong with the story, and bad actors??? Are you nuts? They are great actors, funny, emotional, and they are all comfortable with each other.

Why would you compare it to Vin Deisal and the Riddick movies I can't figure out. They are nothing alike except that they are both sci-fi.

Edited by Chandler to hide the spoiler.
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on the spoiler, Chandler.

But Treebob has it right. Serenity is a lot smarter than those Vinny D movies. It actually raises some really interesting philosophical issues, which is more than I can say for almost everything else that comes out in the Sci-fi genre these days. Not to mention that the whole thing about playing off the parallels to the (post-Civil War) Reconstruction era in the US really gives you something to think about.

Serenity/Firefly is well written, stylish and inhabited by actors who know and love their characters very much. I reckon a person should count themselves lucky to have been exposed to it.
noahsaly
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry, maybe I am too stupid to sit and understand this flick. My bad for flaming it.

still want my money back
lol
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

People who have never seen Firefly or Serenity keep asking in chat, "Do I need to see the TV series before watching the movie to be able to understand it?" Everyone always says, "No." After reading Noah's comments, I'm thinking yes.

I think you'd have a greater appreciation for the character development if you check out the TV series, Noah.
USA california_carl
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 9942

california_carl is offline View user's profile Send private message california_carl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurr78 wrote:
I very rarely buy TV shows on DVD, but I bought both Firefly and Serenity because I know very well that nothing speaks louder to movie companies than cold, hard cash. Buying them is kind of like voting in an election... one vote isn't all that much, but if enough of us feel strongly enough to put down the money, we'll get more stories.

My wife and I also bought Serenity and the Firefly series on DVD. It is the ONLY tv series on DVD that I own. I haven't even opened it yet (will again in time) but bought it with the hope that maybe it will convince some studio executive that Firefly deserves a second chance. It was worth the money and it is a great show watch regardless if another season is ever produced.
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the save Chandler!

Would you be better off watching the series first? Yes, of course.

Yet I still stand by the movie and how well Wheedon did the character development. Not too much for someone who has watched the series, and not to little for people like my wife.

Last edited by TreeBob on Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I saw the movie before I saw the TV series, and it didn't mean quite as much to me as when I watched Serenity again after having watched Firefly. But still, I was highly impressed the first time around and it made me seek out the show to find out what I had missed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: