StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

options on random choices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Goblinmoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 1999

Goblinmoon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Goblinmoon's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:24 pm   Post subject: options on random choices Reply with quote

Well this idea of mine has somewhat gelled...

Was thinking that a nice option (yea it might be too much work though too) would be a genre type choice.

Like sometimes I feel like a musical, or piece that's vocals rather a score piece...

Although granted we could get more detailed, in the break downs for scores.

Fwiw, this idea sprang up in my head because I'll often be inspired by what I'm listening to, but can't think of anything pickable in the time I'm looking.
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

this subject came up once before. I'm not sure if it went anywhere.

and I like the idea.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)

Last edited by genericdragon on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is good, but the practical side to it isn't so simple. There is at least one other thread about sorting the playlist by genre, but as hinted there it will be difficult and very time consuing to do this. And once it's done everyone will disagree about what genre a track falls in under. Then we'd probably make the rules for what belongs in which genre even more complex, and we'd spend another year updating the 40 000 tracks in the playlist. And around it goes... Wink

Edit: GD beat me to it with the link. Good boy! Very Happy

Last edited by Sensei on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The "genre" issue has been discussed before in different contexts. The major issue each time is coming up with a genre for all of the thousands of tracks, then getting them into the database. If JERIC worked on SST full time it might happen, but as it is I don't think it's going to be an option. Good idea though.

jeff
sdg
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

woof Wink

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, there are some fast responders around here.

I didn't even spend the time to look up old threads either.

jeff
sdg
USA Goblinmoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 1999

Goblinmoon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Goblinmoon's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL that's for sure.

I did realize that breaking them all down by true genre, eg. fantasy, adventure, drama, etc, would be a REALLY insane project and yes lead to lots of squabbles.

That's why I was considering a simplistic version for things that are more obvious... like the musicals, games, anime.

Yea I had remembered that a variation on this had come up before, and I probably posted to that too, but I was lazy... Sad

Also maybe it might only be option in the random selection choices?
Auroter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13482

Auroter is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Auroter's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we could have it so we can have it choose randomly by artist (i.e. give me a random Alan Silvestri track). Just an idea that popped in while reading this post. I expect it would be easier than genre, though it would still be complicated in terms of databse-stuff that I know nothing about so I'll shutup now. Confused
Commander
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Auroter wrote:
it would still be complicated in terms of databse-stuff

Not really, as long as the data is already stored implementing a search-feature is rather simple. We used to have more search options but we decided to simplify it a bit. If we are going to put back more options I think we'd have to split the search page into different levels, like one simple and one advanced.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: